Flight Sim

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
Are there any good combat flight sims out there that are current. Like not based on WWII?

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
There has been a drought of serious flight sims.

The best recent (and I mean something like within the last two years) are Lock On: Modern Air Combat and its add on, Flaming Cliffs; has models of F-15C, A-10A, Su-27 variants and Su-25.

Other one is Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, which, obviously, features a thoroughly modeled Viper.

If you don't want to blow up anything, just fly the jets, try MS FS2004 and FSX (depending on your system). The default planes are boring and poorly done, but there are plenty of very good add-ons. There are no fighters modeled to the level of the Viper in Falcon 4 (yet), but there are plenty of GA props that will fly and run like the real thing.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
sims in general have seen serious decline over the past few years :( not a space sim in sight either since freespace 2

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Any modern combat flight sim games I have seen in the past were not very good, and did not sell well. I'd be surprised if we see any more. The problem is dogfighting with modern jet fighters is boring, guns are useless at those speeds, and shooting missiles/dropping bombs is a matter of locking on and pressing a button, no excitement at all. I'd rather take a fighter out in FSX and try to land it on an aircraft carrier, now that's interesting.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Cutthroat
Any modern combat flight sim games I have seen in the past were not very good, and did not sell well. I'd be surprised if we see any more. The problem is dogfighting with modern jet fighters is boring, guns are useless at those speeds, and shooting missiles/dropping bombs is a matter of locking on and pressing a button, no excitement at all. I'd rather take a fighter out in FSX and try to land it on an aircraft carrier, now that's interesting.

f4 with rv/of or f4:af are excellent
the only modern game with "lock on and launch" is lock-on which is not even a simulation, marginally better than an arcade flight game

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Originally posted by: novasatori

the only modern game with "lock on and launch" is lock-on which is not even a simulation, marginally better than an arcade flight game

I was thinking of Lock On when I wrote that, it's the only one I could think of as there aren't many. I can also remember using add-on jets with the old MS Combat Flight Sim, but it was impossible to dogfight due to the speeds.

Then there was Jane's Combat Flight Sim which was quite god for it's time, but severely outdated now. Same with IL-2 Sturmovik, but I never really liked it.

I am not aware of the other game you mentioned, please give us link to site so we can check it out, I'm interested if it looks good.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: novasatori

I was thinking of Lock On when I wrote that, it's the only one I could think of as there aren't many. I can also remember using add-on jets with the old MS Combat Flight Sim, but it was impossible to dogfight due to the speeds.

Then there was Jane's Combat Flight Sim which was quite god for it's time, but severely outdated now. Same with IL-2 Sturmovik, but I never really liked it.

I am not aware of the other game you mentioned, please give us link to site so we can check it out, I'm interested if it looks good.

Falcon 4: Allied Force
This is a stand alone legal re release of F4 with updates, stable multiplayer, but still uses dx7 or whatever so there are no fancy shaders etc, just T&L and polys..

RV = Red Viper which is the newest release of Free Falcon, it installs over the old original Falcon 4 and updates it to DX 9 I believe with shaders and stuff
OF = Open Falcon another similar release to RV - it installs over the original Falcon 4

The problem with RV/OF is that they are hard to find due to the nature of the releases.

That said you can find all you need if you head over to the bay...

Following is a file list of my files...

Eurofighter_Typhoon_Package_v1.1_for_FF4_(RedViper)
RedViper1package
FF4 RedViper Fix1 1.0.0.3
FF4 RedViper 1.0.0.4
Open_Falcon_4.3
Open_Falcon_4.4

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: vshah
sims in general have seen serious decline over the past few years :( not a space sim in sight either since freespace 2

I didn't see anything saying "based on physics" on their site. Kind of hard to call that a sim.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
The Il-2 series is awesome (WWII). However, the number of expansion packs you need now is ridiculous. It's also been out for a very long time and the community is getting smaller. They're coming out with a completely new game though - Battle of Britain.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: KillerCharlie
The Il-2 series is awesome (WWII). However, the number of expansion packs you need now is ridiculous. It's also been out for a very long time and the community is getting smaller. They're coming out with a completely new game though - Battle of Britain.

IL2 1946 has all the xpacks in one, pretty good if I may say so..

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Last good mordern-day sim, IMO, was F-22 Lightning 3. Nukes man, nukes.