Flight Sim & Flying Fighter Games

ronach

Oct 9, 1999
I have Jane's Fighters Anthology and the Ultimate Flight Collection [ Pacific Fighters ]..my question..which software should I install first that would get the most use..and on-line play ? I will be using the CH Fighterstick as my main new piece of gear..for now. Any suggestions from the Flying Fighter crowd out there will be appreciated.

Qutlass

Mar 15, 2006
Fixed wing only? How serious of a sim are you looking for? Reason I asked is because DCS Black Shark (creators of LoMac) is now available. A new study sim, the likes of Falcon 4.0 Allied Force (which is one of the best modern fighter sims w/ good online support).

But if you're looking to pick from what you have now, I would go with IL2 Pacific Fighters, over LoMac. Simply because for me its a bit easier to fly props than jets at first, in terms of learning to manage the aircraft in basic flight and combat. It also has great following at SIMHQ and Ubi's forums. Flown on Hyperlobby as well.

ronach

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for your input Qutlass..I will eventually get into choppers..did some of that in FFOW and liked it. I am presently downloading all the patches for my new games and will get my feet wet soon. I hope there are some free servers out there to play on. IL2 PF here I come..I will use the name [ sgtjeep ] while flying. Thanks again.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Qutlass
Fixed wing only? How serious of a sim are you looking for? Reason I asked is because DCS Black Shark (creators of LoMac) is now available. A new study sim, the likes of Falcon 4.0 Allied Force (which is one of the best modern fighter sims w/ good online support).

But if you're looking to pick from what you have now, I would go with IL2 Pacific Fighters, over LoMac. Simply because for me its a bit easier to fly props than jets at first, in terms of learning to manage the aircraft in basic flight and combat. It also has great following at SIMHQ and Ubi's forums. Flown on Hyperlobby as well.

I want to kiss your on the forehead for letting me discover Black Shark. I lived on Falcon 4.0 for years but gave it up because the graphics where soo outdated. DCS looks awesome! FSX looks great but no combat. The only thing I have been doing for aerial combat is flying in BF: 2142. It's OK but just not the same.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
im waiting for HAWX from Tom Clancy. Lately, I've been playing flight sims in BF2142

I miss games like F-22 Lightning II

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
im waiting for HAWX from Tom Clancy. Lately, I've been playing flight sims in BF2142

Ace Combat looks and sounds great, but doesn't feel real. Those arcade type games just don't fill my need for authenticity.

Qutlass

Mar 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Duddy
Originally posted by: fallenangel99

Ace Combat looks and sounds great, but doesn't feel real. Those arcade type games just don't fill my need for authenticity.

Black shark will set new standards for sims to come. They are also working on an F16 and Ah-64 apache that will be released soon. Soon in sim release years means another year or two, but by then we'll be able to start the KA50 without reading the manual. :) Enjoy!

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
If you like FPS and flying jets you can always play Battlefield 2.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I play Star Wars Galaxies for the Jump To Lightspeed expansion. I looooooves me some Imperial ships :D They have the best fighters in the game. Every ship has shields, including the starter Tie lol.

ronach

Oct 9, 1999
Hey Qutlass..is the A10 inclusion for the DCS Black Shark sim ? I sure would like to climb into that aircraft [ Virtually of course ].

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Falcon 4 AF
Free Falcon (newest)
Open Falcon 4.7

Take your pick for authentic jet sim, all have their differences, all are great.

AF is the easiest to get into though, imo.

Just gotta install and then patch, and you're good to go.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ronach
Hey Qutlass..is the A10 inclusion for the DCS Black Shark sim ? I sure would like to climb into that aircraft [ Virtually of course ].

LoMac has an A10 I believe, but it is more of a study sim. I've always liked IL2, for the 'connected to the plane' feeling it offers.

Qutlass

Mar 15, 2006
This is from an interview done with the developers located here at SimHQ.

Q: <Your press release indicates that Black Shark is the first in a series of DCS modules, with more aircraft / helicopters to follow. How soon will these new aircraft become available?

A: We are already developing the A-10A ?Warthog" and AH-64A ?Apache? (with planned front-seat / back-seat multiplayer) and other western and eastern aircraft will follow with an approximate interval of every nine months. To announce these later aircraft now would be premature because plans can often change and lead to delays due to numerous factors such as our work in the equally important military simulation market.

Enjoy!

::edit:: The A-10 is indeed for DCS, so you can expect the same level of simulation shown for the KA-50.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
I've been playin with Blackshark since a bit before the english version was released, I picked up the Russian version. Very very nice. If you really get into flight sims I highly recommend picking up a TrackIR, the increase in situational awareness is exponential and I think at this point would be a let down to the sim community if one were released without support for it. Blackshark supports full 6DOF and with the 3D clickable cockpit it's really amazing.

cecco

Jan 27, 2005
How does Blackshark run in your system IcePick? It's been a while since i've simmed, but i'm looking into starting again. Also has anyone tried Xplane lately?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Qutlass

Wow, thanks for posting that Black Shark link. I had no idea. :beer:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Man I spent so many hours playing LOMAC and IL-2....but I've been out of the game for a couple years now. I think I'm gonna have to dust off my X-45 and give Black Shark a try.

The guys who made IL-2 are supposed to be releasing their new game this year as well, it's called Battle of Britain "something, something", looks amazing.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ayabe
Man I spent so many hours playing LOMAC and IL-2....but I've been out of the game for a couple years now. I think I'm gonna have to dust off my X-45 and give Black Shark a try.

The guys who made IL-2 are supposed to be releasing their new game this year as well, it's called Battle of Britain "something, something", looks amazing.

I've been a flight simmer for a long time, and I certainly appreciate any new sims that come out, but I really hope that dynamic campaigns become standard. That's what kind of turned me off of IL2.

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Black Shark is the best sim in it's type... IL-2 is the best WWII flight sim... Neither will disappoint...

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
I am thinking about getting back into Flight Sims again but I dont have a joystick anymore. Can any of you rec a good one to get?

Qutlass

Mar 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Vampirrella
I am thinking about getting back into Flight Sims again but I dont have a joystick anymore. Can any of you rec a good one to get?

I personally Run Ch Fighter stick usb, pro throttle and rudders and don't forget track Ir (must have). But Saitek also makes a good stick with the X52 line. Stay clear of logitech, as their quality hasn't been good for serious usage.

All depends on how much you're looking to spend. Good luck.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Well I bought it last night, didn't have anytime to play. I hope there are Vista64 drivers and software for my X45. If not I guess I'll be looking for a new stick/HOTAS.

The X52 has some things I like about it, but the choice to change the rudder controls from the HOTAS to the "twist stick" method really sucks IMHO and has kept me from upgrading.

Qutlass

Mar 15, 2006
I've never had the x-45/52 but the rocker idea they had sounds better than the current twist stick. If you're ham fisted like me (death grip) the yaw will be all over the place. :)

Also if you're looking for a forum, the SimHq Forums are very active. There's talk to host an online Training Program This weekend. There might still be time to sign up for it. Beginners and experienced welcome. They use team speak and host a game server.

Qutlass.