Flight Attendant and her Girlfriend Assaulted On London Bus because they were (NOT) kissing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Liberals wouldn't have to choose if they didn't paint themselves in a corner by continually apologizing/defending the religious right of the middle east under some multiculturalism nonsense, treat them the same way as any other religious/hate group from the beginning under secular laws, and the western Nazi, KKK, christian or whatever other group you don't want to be seen agreeing with when it comes to Muslims wouldn't have leg to stand on pointing out your hypocrisy.

So why are liberals always apologizing /defending them?

Wow!
Good thing here and Canada and Mexico and Europe and Japan and anywhere else in the World you’d likely go have their own legal systems in place.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Liberals wouldn't have to choose if they didn't paint themselves in a corner by continually apologizing/defending the religious right of the middle east under some multiculturalism nonsense, treat them the same way as any other religious/hate group from the beginning under secular laws, and the western Nazi, KKK, christian or whatever other group you don't want to be seen agreeing with when it comes to Muslims wouldn't have leg to stand on pointing out your hypocrisy.

So why are liberals always apologizing /defending them?

This is a mixture of a 'straw man' and pretending issues are simpler than they are.

Ironically enough I was listening to Maajid Nawaz earlier (centrist Liberal Democrat of Muslim heritage, a reconstructed former Islamist, I believe) slamming the homophobia of the Birmingham protestors. I'm not really a fan of the guy precisely because he's a bit too much of a centrist for me, but he's very definitely a liberal (and hence often attacks 'both sides' in that way that liberals do), and in no way defends conservative Islam (or Islamic Conservatism?). The far left might be accused of that but liberals not so much. And in any case it's tiresomely complicated because so often when people do purport to be attacking Islamic conservatism it fairly often turns out they are actually defending imperialism or racism.

Also - what exactly does this have to do with this news story anyway?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm on the same page. If it happened as described the perps need to be jailed.
I think they should be sent to a prison that offers consignment with the option to gain increasing personal liberties via self education, caring for animals, manual skills, and service to the community and to fellow inmates. One thing for sure. is that these are young men who had any empathy they were born with destroyed by their personal history. What you were born with can be perverted but may be fixable by will and self understanding. We do see it happen.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
I wonder how many people were assaulted in London that day. And of those people, I wonder how many of those were front page news.

Oh yeah, nobody cares because those other people weren't gay, like somehow that makes it SOOO much more important. What a joke.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I wonder how many people were assaulted in London that day. And of those people, I wonder how many of those were front page news.

Oh yeah, nobody cares because those other people weren't gay, like somehow that makes it SOOO much more important. What a joke.

aw, you mad?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Your daddy told you to assault women whenever huh?

No assault is ever right.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Hate crimes are particularly vile, because they involve attacking someone for who they are, not what they've done. If you can't see why that's alarming... well, your ability to empathize with fellow human beings is broken.

Here's a question: if you were in the American south in the 1950s and 1960s, would you be saying the same thing about white people beating up black people based on their skin color? "Who gives a crap about racist violence, there was a bar fight down the street!"

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I do have to wonder what kind of bubble you live in that you didn't think this straw man was utterly fucking ridiculous.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

#fuckofftroll

Recently reactivated account that shows up from an emotionally charged position on right.. Nothing strange about that. Nothing at all.

When no one replies to their cries for attention they finally get their troll wings and go to Heaven...

Speaking off attention whoring trolls....

Whatever happened to FIVR the Russian Troll Farm worker? Wonder who he is posting as today...

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 25, 2013

#fuckoffboringtroll

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

You are a real work of art dude!!!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

It's not the attack itself. We all realize there are muggings/beatings every day. It's the REASON for this particular one. You know - a hate crime.
Also, fuck you.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
guardian article said:
Three of the boys, aged 15, 16 and 17, are from Kensington and Chelsea

Hopefully we won't hear the "they're from good families and this could ruin their lives, your honour!" "defence"... or if we do, I hope it gets a royal smackdown from the judge.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Hopefully we won't hear the "they're from good families and this could ruin their lives, your honour!" "defence"... or if we do, I hope it gets a royal smackdown from the judge.

Not sure if I'm interpreting you right, but from your comment I think you might have the wrong idea about Kensington and Chelsea. Remember Grenfell tower was in that borough - the north end of the borough is very far from wealthy.

I feel bad that I find myself curious to know more about these accused, because I guess really it shouldn't matter - homophobia, misogyny and yobbery are present in many different demographic groups (I bet there are those out there who really _want_ them to be Muslims or black). But I can't help but be curious whether or not they are similar to the kids I went to school with.

Reactions: JockoJohnson

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I read about this yesterday. Couldn't find the ATP&N post to update. Great news

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Not sure if I'm interpreting you right, but from your comment I think you might have the wrong idea about Kensington and Chelsea. Remember Grenfell tower was in that borough - the north end of the borough is very far from wealthy.

I stand corrected! I used to work around South / High Str Ken, and assumed the rest based on its rep and personal experience.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I stand corrected! I used to work around South / High Str Ken, and assumed the rest based on its rep and personal experience.

Yeah, they could be from almost any background, really...it says one is from Wandsworth and that covers a wide range of economic and ethnic groups as well. But I fear the main point (unfortunately) is probably simply that they are male.

Nov 25, 2013
And the attackers have plead guilty.

London bus attack: Teens admit threatening women who refused to kiss

Three teenage boys have admitted threatening two women who refused to kiss each other on a bus.

Melania Geymonat, 28, and her date Christine Hannigan were pelted with coins on a Camden night bus on 30 May.

The teenagers, aged 15, 16 and 17, had previously denied charges of harassment by using threatening or abusive words or behaviour.

They admitted the public order offences ahead of a scheduled trial at Highbury Corner Youth Court.

The 17-year-old will appear in court on Friday for a Newton hearing, to decide whether an aggravating factor of homophobia should be considered on sentencing.

All three boys will be sentenced at the same court on 23 December.