Fliers falsely accuse man of being a sex offender

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
tribune link

Police are investigating a forged bulletin sent to at least two homes that names a 53-year-old west suburban Realtor as a sex offender who has preyed on children and the elderly.

Officials said the man listed on the bulletin, Charles Bowgren of Geneva, has no criminal record and has never been in Illinois Department of Corrections custody.

Featuring his photo and home address beneath an IDOC heading, the one-page notification says Bowgren has been convicted of several sexual assaults and targets "females under the age of 12, males under the age of 9 (and) adult females."

Geneva Police Commander Joe Frega said the motive is unclear and that Bowgren had "no idea" who would have sent such a flier to at least two of his neighbors.

"I would guess there was malicious intent," Frega said. "If it's a joke, it's not very funny."

Though local law enforcement agencies are alerted when the state releases sex offenders, the document bearing Bowgren's photo does not exist, IDOC spokesman Derek Schnapp said. It also includes in the heading an address unaffiliated with IDOC.

"It's completely bogus," Schnapp said.

oh my. i hope they catch whoever did this so the guy can sue them into oblivion.

what kind of person does such a thing? man.

booger711

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2004
That's absolutely stupid. Hopefully, the realtor maintains his reputation in the neighborhood.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
I would molest the person who did that to me!

my wife got off the couch and came in to see what i was laughing at

:laugh:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: booger711
That's absolutely stupid. Hopefully, the realtor maintains his reputation in the neighborhood.

doubt he will. its worse then rape accusation. no matter that its in the news that its false the damage is done. people are going to wonder if there is something really going on.