Flat Earth Society vs Earth is only 6000 years old

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Many of these guys and gals on that site are serious and refer to themselves as Flat Earthers (F.E.)

They're not serious. Just skimming through some of the posts, then looking at the F.A.Q. - this site is a spoof/mockery. :p

go check wikipedia and other sources, its legit

Yes, because wikipedia clearly cannot be edited by the same people who made the site. :confused:

look around for yourself, these guys have been around for some time

Don't be gullible. It is a joke. For some reason the wikipedia article doesn't reflect this fact, although in the discussion section the people are questioning why the article states that this is a serious club.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Why are you guys acting like these groups are serious? The joke's on you- the flat Earth society is not a serious organization, it's meant to be a joke.

At least I hope so.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Originally posted by: RichardE
Government

Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.

Come on! The joke's on you.

Also the answer of sunset explanation of the sun going further away. So it would not totally "disapear", right? It'd look like a star.

There's so many inconsitencies if you scratch the surface.

These guys are making fun at other's expense.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Why are you guys acting like these groups are serious? The joke's on you- the flat Earth society is not a serious organization, it's meant to be a joke.

At least I hope so.

Yeah it doesn't look serious. I think people are too quick to label others stupid instead of looking at this more objectively.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
i lump them into the same group as creationists and ID'ers, people who choose to reject evidence and overwhelming scientific opinion. The only solace i find is that this FE people wont fly an airplane into nasa

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Flat Earthers have never existed. That's a myth taught to American elementary school kids on Columbus Day. Study your scientific history. The circumference of the earth was accurately calculated by the Greek scientist Eratosthenes in c. 200 BC (he also devised latitude and longitude). The ancient Mayans not only knew the earth was round, but made astronomical observations as advanced as what modern science is just discovering today.
The horizon is only 30 miles away when standing on flat ground (or on a boat in open sea), and the curve of the earth is easily visible even to the most casual observers.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
You know it's satire right?

it's not, atleast the concept of flat earth. i've actually seen a documentary about it

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Alonelymuffin
Climb some mountains. I've clearly seen the curvature of the earth from high elevations. You can get a good view pretty much anywhere above 8,000 feet.

as for young earth, it's sorta-kinda possible, but it's also possible that were in the matrix, and it's also possible the universe and you were created five minutes ago, complete with memories and dinosaur bones.

pfft... as far as I'm concerned, the universe was came into existence the moment I achieved self-awareness, and will cease to exist at the moment of my death. All this nonsense of things that happened prior to my existence are hearsay at best.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o
it's not, atleast the concept of flat earth. i've actually seen a documentary about it
No, it is satire. Even the concept. The whole myth of Flat Earth believers was invented by John William Draper in 1874 where he presents his so-called conflict thesis in the book A History of the Conflict between Religion and Science. It's a complete falsehood. Yes, the Church did stick to the Aristotelean model of an earth-centric universe until the time of Galileo, but at no time did it insist on a flat earth.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
No, it is satire. Even the concept. The whole myth of Flat Earth believers was invented by John William Draper in 1874 where he presents his so-called conflict thesis in the book A History of the Conflict between Religion and Science. It's a complete falsehood. Yes, the Church did stick to the Aristotelean model of an earth-centric universe until the time of Galileo, but at no time did it insist on a flat earth.

hm weird, i thought i watched a video where these guys in the modern day were talkinga bout a flat earth and how some woman went to the north pole to "look for the edge"

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

hm weird, i thought i watched a video where these guys in the modern day were talkinga bout a flat earth and how some woman went to the north pole to "look for the edge"

I don't doubt that there have been some nutballs now and then and even today. There's always nutballs. Just look at the CT fools who insist that a missile, not Flight 77, hit the Pentagon on 9/11 but can't tell you what happened to the plane and its 64 passengers.

Flat Earth myth is kind of both sides of that CT'er coin. Some nutballs might hold to it, but for the most part the belief that ancient peoples (especially certain religions) believed in it is kind of a false conceit in modern science. There is NO evidence whatsoever that non-primitive ancient peoples ever believed in a flat earth, while there is a massive amount of evidence that they did know of the spherical earth. Even more so, ancient peoples made some rather astonishing astronomical observations. Consider even astrology. While the horoscope, etc. bits of astrology are obviously false, the methods for calculating the positions of the stars are some 5000 years old. How could the Zodiac work without a spherical earth? Obviously, the ancient Mesopotamians had no illusions about a flat earth.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I'm pretty sure the flat earth society is a parody intended to poke fun at the young earth morons. Kinda like how the worshippers of the flying spaghetti monster and the invisible pink unicorns make fun of theists by trolling them with a fake religion.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003

She went in the wrong direction then. The edge is a 150ft ice wall in Antarctica. The north pole would actually be the center of the planet, not the edge... ;)

Oh, and I think some people over there are actually serious. Go look at old threads before the Digg invasion. Click on page 60 or so.

As for the earth "curvature" you guys have seen, its obviously atmospheric distortion... :p

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I thought the site was rather funny myself. Although I could not tell if they were serious or parodying other groups.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Flat Earthers have never existed. That's a myth taught to American elementary school kids on Columbus Day. Study your scientific history. The circumference of the earth was accurately calculated by the Greek scientist Eratosthenes in c. 200 BC (he also devised latitude and longitude). The ancient Mayans not only knew the earth was round, but made astronomical observations as advanced as what modern science is just discovering today.
The horizon is only 30 miles away when standing on flat ground (or on a boat in open sea), and the curve of the earth is easily visible even to the most casual observers.

it's also a myth that he thought he was in india.