Flashing Intel X25-V firmware on the Kingston 40GB

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by 996GT2, Jan 5, 2010.

1. 996GT2

996GT2 Diamond Member

The newly released Intel 40GB SSD has the same controller (and persumably internals) as the Kingson 40GB, but it has the added benefit of supporting TRIM.

Since the hardware is essentially the same, is there any way to flash the Intel TRIM firmware onto the Kingston drive?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Flashing Intel firmware Forum Date
    Intel 600p ssd drives get firmware update, anyone flash theirs yet? Memory and Storage Jan 7, 2017
    Don't flash Vertex 3 SSD with OCZ's Linux CD if you have Intel RAID Memory and Storage May 11, 2012
    Possibility to cross-flash Intel 320 firmware to X25-M? Memory and Storage Apr 15, 2011
    Intel G2 life remaining went up on firmware flash? Memory and Storage Apr 3, 2011
    Win7 + Intel G2 SSD + flashed firmware = TRIM? Memory and Storage Jan 7, 2010

3. Teetu

Teetu Senior member

I was thinking the same thing, but I noticed the performance specs are slightly different so I don't know if the internals are identical. If the firmware isn't compatible, I hope this is an indication that kingston will have a trim firmware out soon.

4. her209

her209 No Lifer

Can't be done.

5. gayannr

gayannr Junior Member

I don't think the hardware is essentially the same, Write speeds are tad slower than the SSDNow and the MTBF is 1.2Million with the Intel drive where as the SSDNow is 1.0Million

6. EarthwormJim

EarthwormJim Diamond Member

Intel's firmware update software looks for Intel device ids. So you'd have to be able to modify the firmware for it to let you flash the Kingston drive. Even then who knows if it would work properly.

This is a good thing, I thought I had remembered reading Kingston was waiting for Intel to release their own version of the 40gb drive before TRIM came out on the SSDNow.

7. gayannr

gayannr Junior Member

Year I had read it on Legitreviews SSDNow 40GB review :)

8. tornad63

tornad63 Junior Member

Hi all!
    The TRIM support will never come out [​IMG]
    I ask to the french (i'm french [​IMG]) support and their reply was "no"
    Is there someone can try to contact the support to confirm that?

9. EarthwormJim

EarthwormJim Diamond Member

I really wouldn't trust any sort of news about changes to a product from a company's support line. In another thread a Kingston phone rep didn't even know that this drive used an Intel controller.

10. tornad63

tornad63 Junior Member

I hope you are right !
    Sorry for my bad english :\

11. CurseTheSky

CurseTheSky Diamond Member

Your English is almost as good as dozens of people that speak it natively on this (and similar) forums. I wouldn't be too concerned. ;)

I sure hope Kingston releases TRIM firmware for the drive. I would hate to see these turn into the "latest" Intel X-25M G1 drives...

12. rivethead

rivethead Platinum Member

Count me as another who hopes Kingston comes out with a firmware update that gives TRIM to the 40GB SSDNow.

I believe that Legitreviews article quoted a Kingston PR rep. Probably more reliable that customer service reps (the bottom of the corporate foodchain). Hopefully!

13. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

a Mean Time Before Failure of 1 million hours = 114 years (114.1552511415525 to be exact)
    You can rest assured that the MTBF figures published by any drive on the market are firmly pulled out of marketing's nether regions. (oh they sometimes loosely "base" them on some experiments and pseudo math done to the results, but it is meaningless).

that being said, just because the specs appear identical doesn't mean that the devices are cross flashable.
    Just wait for the kingstone firmware upgrade for it.

14. tornad63

tornad63 Junior Member

I can confirm now what kingson reply to me.....
    This is an article from a french site ,it's about the CES 2010 and an interview of Louis Kaneshiro, Kingston senior technology manager:
    Use a translate tools ^_^
    It say that INTEL doesn't allow kingston to use the TRIM firmware...

15. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Diamond Member

This is a little better.........

They're throwin' in the sponge.

16. jjmIII

jjmIII Diamond Member

17. 996GT2

996GT2 Diamond Member

18. Old Hippie

Looks like it to me.

19. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon Junior Member

I am currently complaining about this on the Intel forum
    http://communities.intel.com/message/80840#80840

When I complained to Kingston (who told me in November that:
    )

they replied last week with this:

I am awaiting answers from both companies before I get angry.

20. rivethead

rivethead Platinum Member

Maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but it sounds to me like Intel won't allow Kingston to use their firmware (TRIM supporting) on the the Kingston drive.

Fine. So be it. Couldn't Kingston just write their own proprietary firmware that would provide TRIM support?

21. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon Junior Member

Since the Kingston 40GB drive uses an Intel controller, it would probably be very difficult and possibly illegal for them to write firmware for it if Intel were unwilling to let them have the necessary code (I'm just guessing here).
    I suppose a clever programmer could modify the Intel firmware to work on the Kingston drive, but Intel wouldn't be happy!

22. Lewy

Lewy Member

The only reason I bought the 40 GB Kingston was the promise of trim support in the future.
    I'm sure there are many of us in the same boat on that? I wouldn't have it on my newly built W7 system now if I didn't think that trim support was coming. How can Intel openly sell both a control chip and memory to a vender and not support it properly. I am very disappointed; they are crazy if they think that improper support for their products will translate to any kind of good business practice. To me it simply translates to cutthroat business practice. It's like selling a chipset to a company like Gigabyte and not supporting new drivers for it. To put it bluntly this is ridiculous. IMHO

23. Old Hippie

I see this alot. Could you link me to an official statement that promises TRIM?

24. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon Junior Member

Scroll up. The quote I posted was from a Kingston support staff member. The same statement had been seen elsewhere, so was obviously from some internal Kingston memo. If they now say they never promised it, that would be stretching credibility.
    Most reviews of the drive said TRIM was forthcoming, and since the G2 controller is known to be capable of it, a company would be crazy not to implement it wouldn't they?
    Maybe Kingston are just crazy.

25. Old Hippie

It may be stretching credibility but I doubt a quote from support is the final word on anything.

It seems to be widely believed that TRIM was set in stone and Kingston is now saying it was never promised.

Seems the TRIM rumor got started by them but was never etched in stone.

If there's anything in writing/advertising/verifiable comment from someone in authority you may have a chance for a resolution.

But other than that you could put Kingston and Intel on the no-buy shit list.

I've got Gigabyte and Creative on mine.

26. Teetu

Teetu Senior member

I only purchased the kingston because I thought it would eventually support trim. If I would have known that intel was releasing a 40GB drive with trim I definitely would have waited. I'm thinking of selling my kingston and getting the intel.