Flash Player 26.0.0.126 Released

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Just did the updates for that this morning. There is also a newer version of Adobe Shockwave Player

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It just updated again to 26.0.0.131 ... for some reason, it does not open when I click on Flash Player in Windows 10 control panel. But I did manually verify it was installed. Works okay on the Windows XP Box

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks, Chief ... I can not wait until Flash is a dead duck (about 1 year or ... there is a thread about it here)

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
I notice every Adobe Flash update is around 20 MB in size. Are all these updates cumulative? Or does each update simply replace the previous one?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I notice every Adobe Flash update is around 20 MB in size. Are all these updates cumulative? Or does each update simply replace the previous one?
The short, plain answer is that the "latest version" of FP is always the "current" installation package as of the time it's released, and replaces an existing earlier version if it exists on the target system. Whether you're "updating" FP or installing it for the first time, you use same installer package. If an earlier version is already installed on the computer, the installer removes that when it installs the latest version.

The longer, less straightforward answer is: unless I'm very confused (by no means impossible<g>), I think what you really meant was: "Are all these updates incremental? Or does each update replace the previous one." As you wrote the questions, they both mean more or less the same thing.

Cumulative
updating means rolling all the previous updates into one "installation", while incremental updating implies making only the most recent of a series of modifications. And in the strictest sense, fully replacing an existing installation isn't really an "update" in the usual sense (like Windows updates, for example). Technically, one might say that the Flash Player software itself "has been updated", but when you "update Flash Player on your computer", the previous version is completely removed and fully replaced with latest version; the "updates" don't merely modify the existing installed program.

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
Thanks Mike.
Yeah, I was just curious as to whether all those 20 MB updates were adding up and taking up a lot of space over the years. I had a feeling they probably weren't, but hey, you never know with Adobe.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
What I do with stuff like Flash Player, Shockwave, Java or my Antivirus (avast free) is keep the most current installer and sometimes, the 2 just before that one. This way if there any issues, I can revert if needed or if I need the older one for some odd reason. Most of the time, the current one works fine. Same for things like Winrar

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
I notice I seem to have 3 different types of flash players on my list of programs:

Adobe Flash Player 24 Active X
Adobe Flash Player 28 NPAPI
Adobe Flash Player 28 PPAPI

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You are supposed to have 3 depending on which web browsers you have.
Active X is for Internet Explorer -- Note: For IE11 on Windows 10 windows update does the Flash player updates as it is embedded

NPAPI is for Firefox based browser

PPAPI is for Opera & Chromium based browser

All the full offline installers are here -- scroll down just past Section 8 for them
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks Mike.
Yeah, I was just curious as to whether all those 20 MB updates were adding up and taking up a lot of space over the years. I had a feeling they probably weren't, but hey, you never know with Adobe.
As bruceb answered, there's no real reason to keep the older installers. If you find yourself needing an earlier version, you can download it again. The only time I make a specific effort to keep "old" versions of programs/updates is when they're things that might bork something badly enough to keep me off the Internet, which makes re-downloading needed software, or finding answers to problems, that much more difficult...