Flash Bracket - Use flash wireless or get the sync cable?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Nikon D80 w/ SB600 flash.

The flash and camera have wireless capability right out of the box, it uses the built in flash as a commander.

If i pick up a flash bracket, think I should just go ahead and use the SB600 wireless with the D80? or is there any benefit to using a $50-60 flash sync cord that plugs into the hotshoe.

nero2

Dec 26, 2002
Yes, the wireless triggering is done optically through a "pre-flash" of sorts. This introduces a lag-time between when you press the shutter and when the flash fires/picture is taken. This pre-flash has the negative side-effect of causing people to blink. Also, if the preflash doesn't reflect properly back to the flash, the flash will not fire. With a sync-cord the flash operates exactly as if it were on-camera.

Also, don't buy the modern sync cords, instead save $20 and get a used SC-17. It's the same exact thing as the SC-28 but the mounting system is different (not better, just different). I have same set-up (D80, SB-600, SC-17) and while I don't have a bracket I am glad I have the cord.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Originally posted by: nero2
Also, if the preflash doesn't reflect properly back to the flash, the flash will not fire.

This is bad if your subject is dark, or far away. Wireless flash really only works if the flash has a direct line of sight to the master unit (SB-800 or camera).

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: soydios
Originally posted by: nero2
Also, if the preflash doesn't reflect properly back to the flash, the flash will not fire.

This is bad if your subject is dark, or far away. Wireless flash really only works if the flash has a direct line of sight to the master unit (SB-800 or camera).

But on a flash bracket, we're only talking a few inches . . .