Flaky internet lately

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I've noticed pages taking longer to load lately. I did a speed test and there appear to be sporadic drops.

tkyvrws.jpg

(I pay for 3.5 mpbs through Spectrum)
In the past that green bar was smooth and flat, now it's like a roller coaster. How do I diagnose what's wrong?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Have you unplugged your cable modem for 20-30 seconds, and then plugged it back in so it can cycle lately?

BTW, your image is not working.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
3.5mbps from Spectrum? The bottom tier here is 100mbps with Spectrum.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

It could be they are grandfathered in their old plan from a different provider.

For example, when Google Fiber announced it was coming here, Time Warner Cable suddenly increased all their internet speeds (out the kindness of their heart, I'm sure ;) ), and after Spectrum bought them out, the plan that I am on is no longer offered by Spectrum (200 mbps for $79.99/month). In this area, I think they only offer 100 and 300 mbps, and the 300 is outrageously priced (I see a lot of people moving to AT&T Fiber, which is cheaper and faster).

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It was the $14.99 plan under Time Warner. It sucks, but it's all I can afford. Getting even a single mpbs more would mean forking over four times as much money to Spectrum, so I dare not give up my grandfathered plan. :(

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
It could be they are grandfathered in their old plan from a different provider.

For example, when Google Fiber announced it was coming here, Time Warner Cable suddenly increased all their internet speeds (out the kindness of their heart, I'm sure ;) ), and after Spectrum bought them out, the plan that I am on is no longer offered by Spectrum (200 mbps for $79.99/month). In this area, I think they only offer 100 and 300 mbps, and the 300 is outrageously priced (I see a lot of people moving to AT&T Fiber, which is cheaper and faster).
I had charter at 60. Spectrum took over and it increased to 100, but you did have to call and ask to be switched to "Spectrum" plan.

But is 3.5 even considered "broadband"?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But is 3.5 even considered "broadband"?
Technically, no. (According to the FCC's definition.)

But neither is my 15/2 connection, through Comcast.

I've noticed lately that my connection speeds are less stable as well.

One thing to note is, "lower-tier" (bottom tier) connections are likely prioritized BELOW other higher-paying customers. So that's one benefit to paying more for a faster connection, you get rate-scheduled at a higher classification in your ISP's system, depending on how much that you're paying. (This is true, even with "Net Neutrality" in place, and is legal.)

Edit: If this is a cable connection, can you take a screenshot of your Cable Modem's signal quality / line stats page? It should show dBm (S/N), mV (power), and uncorrectables (errors) for each channel that you're bonded with (you are using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, right?)

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I actually lost my internet connection last night for a bit (after responding to this thread, ironically).

Ever since Spectrum bought TW, the network reliability has gotten worse, and prices have gone up (I paid $69.99 for 200 Mbps for a good bit, but starting last month it went to $79.99).

Factor that into PlayStation Vue getting rid of many of our favorite channels, and increasing their price as well, today I signed up for AT&T Uverse/Fiber internet. I got their middle internet speed package (300 Mbps) instead of the top 1,000 Mbps which was too pricey, and not really needed for our use. So with the 1-year new customer pricing, we will pay less than we are paying now between Spectrum/PlayStation Vue. The only thing I hate about this is in a year we will likely have to switch back to Spectrum after AT&T doubles our bill.

This is what sucks with all these companies buying each other. We all end up with only one or two choices, and they know it.

Last edited: