Flags at half-mast??

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Probably something local for you.

No big national/international news that I've heard of or read about.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Tomorrow is the anniversary of the armistice signed to end the Korean War. Flags are to be half-mast till sunset in honor of the fallen. As to why they are doing it today I don't know.

As an added bonus for my ATOT friends, here is how the DPRK is touting the event. From north korean news......

Kim Il Sung's exploits in war eulogized
Pyongyang, July 24 (KCNA) - July 27 is the day of victory in the war in the DPRK. On the threshold of the victory day, all the Korean people recall with deep emotion the outstanding commandership exploits of President Kim Il Sung, an ever-victorious iron-willed brilliant commander.
During the three-year Korean War, the U.S. imperialists lost over 1,567,000 men, including more than 405,000 of their own armed forces, and an enormous amount of combat equipment and war supplies, including over 12,200 aircraft, more than 560 warships and ships, over 3,200 tanks and armored vehicles of different types, more than 13,350 trucks and 7,690 artillery pieces of various types. This is only part of the bitter setbacks suffered by them in the war.
The U.S. hurled nearly 2 million-strong forces, including three services of its army equipped with modern weapons, armed forces of its 15 satellites, "ROK" army and the Japanese militarist aggression forces, and a huge amount of sophisticated military hardware into the Korean War. The U.S. employed the most brutal and barbarous methods and means in the history of war by using even chemical and germ weapons.
But the then U.S. Presidents Truman and Eisenhower, commanders-in-chief of the "UN Forces" Macarthur, Ridgeway and Clark and military bosses Walker, Vanfleet and Dean suffered repeated shameful defeats.
The U.S. imperialists foolishly tried to occupy the young DPRK but were forced to yield to the Korean people. The loss they suffered in the war was 2.3 times what they had suffered in the Ppacific War.
The Korean people's war of justice was led by legendary hero Kim Il Sung who defeated the one million-strong Kwantung Army of the Japanese imperialists after setting out on the road of revolution in his teens.
Endowed with his extraordinary military wisdom and stratagem, he crushed the allied forces of imperialism by applying unique strategies and tactics and war methods and defended the sovereignty and dignity of the country and the nation. ?@?@?@

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dad gets the hugest kick out of this crap.:)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: 308nato
Tomorrow is the anniversary of the armistice signed to end the Korean War. Flags are to be half-mast till sunset in honor of the fallen. As to why they are doing it today I don't know.

hmmm wierd. Thanks for the info...

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: 308nato

As an added bonus for my ATOT friends, here is how the DPRK is touting the event. From north korean news......

Kim Il Sung's exploits in war eulogized
Pyongyang, July 24 (KCNA) - July 27 is the day of victory in the war in the DPRK. On the threshold of the victory day, all the Korean people recall with deep emotion the outstanding commandership exploits of President Kim Il Sung, an ever-victorious iron-willed brilliant commander.
During the three-year Korean War, the U.S. imperialists lost over 1,567,000 men, including more than 405,000 of their own armed forces, and an enormous amount of combat equipment and war supplies, including over 12,200 aircraft, more than 560 warships and ships, over 3,200 tanks and armored vehicles of different types, more than 13,350 trucks and 7,690 artillery pieces of various types. This is only part of the bitter setbacks suffered by them in the war.
The U.S. hurled nearly 2 million-strong forces, including three services of its army equipped with modern weapons, armed forces of its 15 satellites, "ROK" army and the Japanese militarist aggression forces, and a huge amount of sophisticated military hardware into the Korean War. The U.S. employed the most brutal and barbarous methods and means in the history of war by using even chemical and germ weapons.
But the then U.S. Presidents Truman and Eisenhower, commanders-in-chief of the "UN Forces" Macarthur, Ridgeway and Clark and military bosses Walker, Vanfleet and Dean suffered repeated shameful defeats.
The U.S. imperialists foolishly tried to occupy the young DPRK but were forced to yield to the Korean people. The loss they suffered in the war was 2.3 times what they had suffered in the Ppacific War.
The Korean people's war of justice was led by legendary hero Kim Il Sung who defeated the one million-strong Kwantung Army of the Japanese imperialists after setting out on the road of revolution in his teens.
Endowed with his extraordinary military wisdom and stratagem, he crushed the allied forces of imperialism by applying unique strategies and tactics and war methods and defended the sovereignty and dignity of the country and the nation. ?@?@?@

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dad gets the hugest kick out of this crap.:)

Hrm... look at North Korea now. They "won" alright
rolleye.gif

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I never realized how badly we, the U.S., got our butts kicked by the N. Koreans.

As a side note, the Korean war never ended. We are merely observing a truce in the hostilities.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
I never realized how badly we, the U.S., got our butts kicked by the N. Koreans.

Yeah, you are lucky that they chose not to invade mainland USA :Q!

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

As a side note, the Korean war never ended. We are merely observing a truce in the hostilities.
Those figures seem to be quite different from those issued by the US.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Just in case you don't know.....the numbers in the KNCA press release are more than a "bit" inflated. Do a Google search on "Korean War losses" and compare.;)

I believe the US had 45,000 killed and 103,000 wounded. The kill ratio was about 10:1 in our favor. You do the math.

We lost like 15 ships.

Propaganda is funny. Unless you have it forced on you.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

As has been noted above the N. Korean numbers do not match our numbers, go figure.

Also you are forgetting that China sent a very large army to fight in N. Korea. The U.N. forces were not fighting just the N.Koreans but also a very large contingent of Chinese.