Fixing cracked PVC pipe

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
So while wife was digging a hole to plant a White Champaca in the backyard, she accidentally cracked the main 1" pvc pipe for the sprinklers. I looked and besides the 1" pipe, there is a 1/2" pvc pipe which is parallel to it, and there is only a 1/4" of space between the two.

IMG_20160426_175238440.jpg

Tried to use one of the slip quick fix coupling

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...ion-Slide-Repair-Coupling-160-505HC/100175547

but there is no enough space as the 1/2" pipe is too close, and the coupling would basically push against the 1/2" pipe.

Tried just use two couplings with section of replacement pipe, but it was too difficult to slip the replacement section in as there the rest of the pipe is still buried and you can't wiggle or move it enough.

Then I saw this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVHkr27kfr0

which the guy use two L shape coupling. Which might work. I might just have to pile more dirt on top of the pipe and will certainly look weird. Any danger to that?

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
They make a split coupling, but I've never used one.

Related topic, why does everyone use schedule 120 PVC for sprinklers? The stuff is only penny's cheaper than schedule 40, and so weak you can almost crush it in your hand.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If it were me, I'd dig up more of the pipe, then wedge it away from the other pipe, and make a normal splice.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Cut out a short piece, street elbow upward at both ends (or to the opposite side of the other line, or down, whatever direction you can go. Cut the appropriate length straight piece and put an elbow on each end. Test fit before gluing. When it's test fitted, use a permanent marker to put a little line across each fitting where it connects to whatever it connects to, to ensure everything is glued pointing exactly as it should be. Glue on the street elbows first, glue the other elbows onto the straight piece, then glue the whole thing together.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
There's actually a product made for sprinkler systems. http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/PVC-Pipe-Fix-Repair-s/7549.htm

I found it while searching for a picture of what I'm talking about:
four90s.jpg

Those elbows on the bottom in the picture get glued on first, then glue the top 3 pieces together, and finally glue/slide the top 3 pieces onto the two elbows.

edit: duh, it's called 4 90's method. Google or search for youtube videos. I'd trust that a heck of a lot more than a fernco fitting under pressure. (Maybe I'm wrong - are they intended for pressurized lines? Or just for drain lines?)

Last edited:

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Thx Dr! I have tried the slip coupling but its a little too big and was pushing against the small 1/2" pipe in the picture.

Wonder why do they put the pipes so close to each other..

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
No, you need a rigid part with a gasket like those plastic ones with the nuts.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Afaik, they're okay for underground burial. Most of the time, they're used for drain lines, not pressurized water lines. My question was, are they rated for use on pressurized lines?

Good point. Doubt the hose clamps on them will hold up under pressure.

I don't really understand why the OP is having trouble using couplings to fit in the tight spot to repair the broken pipe.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
There's actually a product made for sprinkler systems. http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/PVC-Pipe-Fix-Repair-s/7549.htm

I found it while searching for a picture of what I'm talking about:
four90s.jpg

Those elbows on the bottom in the picture get glued on first, then glue the top 3 pieces together, and finally glue/slide the top 3 pieces onto the two elbows.

edit: duh, it's called 4 90's method. Google or search for youtube videos. I'd trust that a heck of a lot more than a fernco fitting under pressure. (Maybe I'm wrong - are they intended for pressurized lines? Or just for drain lines?)

this ... or you can cut the pvc and use either pvc male or female adaptors with shark bite fittings threaded into them with an appropriate length of pex between them. the 4-pvc 90 elbows will cost you less in materials but may be a bit tough to pull apart (to apply pvc cement) the dry fitted parts unless you have enough span for the pipe to flex a bit.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
this ... or you can cut the pvc and use either pvc male or female adaptors with shark bite fittings threaded into them with an appropriate length of pex between them. the 4-pvc 90 elbows will cost you less in materials but may be a bit tough to pull apart (to apply pvc cement) the dry fitted parts unless you have enough span for the pipe to flex a bit.
That's why you use 4 90s instead of 2 couplings. There doesn't need to be any give at all. You glue one 90 on each end that's in the ground. You glue the other two 90s on the short piece, that you've already test fitted. That forms a sort of u shape. Then, you push that u down onto the two elbows. If two of the elbows are street elbows, then you don't have to screw around with a couple more short nipples to glue the elbows together.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
That's why you use 4 90s instead of 2 couplings. There doesn't need to be any give at all. You glue one 90 on each end that's in the ground. You glue the other two 90s on the short piece, that you've already test fitted. That forms a sort of u shape. Then, you push that u down onto the two elbows. If two of the elbows are street elbows, then you don't have to screw around with a couple more short nipples to glue the elbows together.

thanks for the explanation. I was under the assumption that when gluing pvc fittings that should should give them a little turn or twist
( then hold for a few seconds for the glue to set up a bit) when cementing them together to as a bit of insurance to make sure the pvc glue is well distributed

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
thanks for the explanation. I was under the assumption that when gluing pvc fittings that should should give them a little turn or twist ( then hold for a few seconds for the glue to set up a bit) when cementing them together to as a bit of insurance to make sure the pvc glue is well distributed

That is normally accepted as the standard method, but is carefully applied not required. I also recommend you use a primer before gluing.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
They make a split coupling, but I've never used one.

Related topic, why does everyone use schedule 120 PVC for sprinklers? The stuff is only penny's cheaper than schedule 40, and so weak you can almost crush it in your hand.

repeat business.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
I did the 4 90s and all is well now.

Of course, when cutting the broken pipe it cracked twice! So it ended up replacing almost 2 feet of pipe... instead of 8 to 9 inches.

I m starting to believe that Greenman is right. I could have crushws these 120 pvs pipes with my bare hand.... =/