Fixepix S1800 - decent low-end cam?

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s1800/

Already available at Amazon and a few retailers in the $215-$229 range. It appears to be Fuji's replacement for last year's popular S1500. Some pretty good additions here-, particularly 12mp/18x optical zoom, panorama mode, a large 3" LCD display, and 720p HD video (just to name a few).

At this low price it definitely looks very attractive to me, someone who is a beginner, but would like access to a wider range of features (I'm into birdwatching) when I'm ready.

What do people think of this sort of camera? Seems ideal at this price range.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Look'n for reviews myself.
I almost bought its predecessor the S1500 because of its build quality and form factor alone. But the sample photos were lackluster and I couldn't bring myself to spend money on a camera that spit out crappy photos. Colors were washed out, and full res shots looked like a mess.

I can only hope the S1800 takes decent photos. The price is right.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Look'n for reviews myself.
I almost bought its predecessor the S1500 because of its build quality and form factor alone. But the sample photos were lackluster
I doubt the pics will be much better here. The problem with most of these sort of low-end cams is the users, not the cams themselves. They use them like one-shot cams, and know nothing about macros, ISO, etc,etc. But who knows?