FIXED!! net use x: \\192.168.0.x\ /user:username password

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by smp, Oct 22, 2002.

1. smp

smp Diamond Member

... used to work!!!
    But now, when I do it, I get a "error type 67, the network name cannot be found" or some such thing.
    This is me trying to map a smb linux share with a batch file.
    This used to work for me, but I have since reinstalled that file servar and now it won't work :(
    I can ping that IP
    I can mount that share like \\192.168.0.x in explorer
    What's the deal?
    I think it has something to do with this box not resolving in network places... maybe?
    Like in "computers near me" I can see all machines in my subnet, but this one ... but like I said, I can type the ip and away I go..
    What can I do to remedy this problem?
    I'm not so concerned with it not resolving in network places, as long as I can mount it with a batch file on startup.

(PS, I started a thread about the resolving thing before, but that was with my old setup, the bat file worked then and it wasn't resolving then either)

EDIT ----------------------------------------------------

I enabled the wins server in samba and pointed my windows box at it and it works now. What did I do? Why does it work now? I don't ever remember having wins support turned on before? Windows information name server or something? What's a wins again?
    It works on my old man's windows 2k box and his isn't pointing at the samba server for wins... weirdness

2. Loading...