How To Fix internet connection loss about every 30 minutes

magyver

May 17, 2019
I had a stable home network with one workstation connected via Ethernet and 6 laptops connected via Wireless N. I had an ASUS router connected to a Hughes Net Gen 4 modem.

I Recently upgraded from Hughes Gen 4 to Gen 5. The installer connected my ASUS router to the Hughes Net W2000 router and a quick check showed a good internet connection from the workstation. After about an hour, I could no longer connect to the internet or the W2000 router. The only way I could restore operation was a workstation restart.

I disconnected the old ASUS router and changed the SSID of the new router to the old network name. All the laptop computers and the workstation started working fine. Then again after an hour the workstation lost internet connection again. All the other computers continued to work fine.

I tried switching the workstation to a wireless connection and after an hour it lost connection again. I tried a different Wireless adapter and still the same problem. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this with no luck. Even ipconfig /release, /flushdns, and /renew will not bring the connection back

When it goes down it LAN shows the internet is connected, but it won't connect. It also won't connect to the Hughes System Control Center which is the Hughes Modem/Router setup page. However I can still access all other computers on the network and even get a reply when I ping 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS).

I have disabled the firewall, made sure there was only one virus protection application running and made sure the VPN was totally disabled. I have worked on this problem for 2 weeks and don't what else to try. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

jag_man653

Feb 17, 2019
Not sure if this is your problem, but I went thru months of problems like this with Spectrum. Had to reboot the router several times a day. Finally, on advice of a friend, I replaced the cable modem Spectrum with an Arris SurfBoard and all is well.

magyver

May 17, 2019
Rebooting the router / modem doesn't bring the connection back to this computer. I have to reboot the computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

magyver

May 17, 2019
Finally solved the problem. Found an old Bitdefender with expired subscription still running along with new free Bitdefender. Uninstalled old version and connection came back.