Discussion Fix Door Misalignment Issues Once And For All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djsi222

Jun 30, 2019
Ever had a door that wouldn't shut properly due to slight latch misalignment?
Well, check out my kick starter project to solve this issue once and for all in a cost effective, quick, no-skill required way!

-- Link Removed --

9d3b303c5eb07b80b167172c5566ca9f_original.png

Kickstarter links are considered self-promotion and not allowed in the forums.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Living in a very old house I have had this problem many times. My solution wasn't to reinvent the wheel, but use what is already available at any hardware store. Simply install an oversize striker plate at a cost of about $3.50 US. It accomplishes the same thing without having to pay $50 US and replace the entire door latch. You're looking for a problem where it doesn't necessarily exist.

Also, you will never get a patent on your idea.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Moving a strike plate isn't a real big deal. You can even use a dremel to grind it out if you don't want to move it.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i used a hinge router template and just took a big chunk out of the jamb. made a new piece to fit, re drilled all the holes and chiseled out the mortise for the strikes. looks like new, and does not compromise security. i would not use this as it decrease the amount of metal you have hitting the strike and the wood behind it. I like to embed steel angle in the edge of the jamb when i install from scratch though. screwed into the wood and then a couple long screws from the face of the jamb into the stud through the angle.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Not to offend anyone, but this fellow works as an engineer for Ford's.
I have 2 brother-in-laws that are engineers, 1 still working for Ford's and 1 retired from Ford's.
It always struck me as strange that they would come up with solutions to problems that didn't exist or overly complicated solutions to simple problems.
Maybe it's the company work environment that causes it ?

Reactions: Thump553

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Not to offend anyone, but this fellow works as an engineer for Ford's.
I have 2 brother-in-laws that are engineers, 1 still working for Ford's and 1 retired from Ford's.
It always struck me as strange that they would come up with solutions to problems that didn't exist or overly complicated solutions to simple problems.
Maybe it's the company work environment that causes it ?

Some engineers love to create problems and then come up with complex solutions to them. Working with them is infuriating.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
It depends on how anal you are. As an engineer there is a definitely a fine line between elegant solutions and solutions to problems that don't exist.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Applying science/technology to solve problems in the most cost effective way is pretty much the definition of good engineering. As is true in every other vocation, not every engineer is good at it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.