Five year old article about police culture.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its good reading.

And I have no idea if the numbers are correct, but assuming they are (15/15/70) it actually explains a lot of what we've been seeing.
It would explain things like the change in LAPD culture that happened since the 90's. And maybe New York too.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Its good reading.

And I have no idea if the numbers are correct, but assuming they are (15/15/70) it actually explains a lot of what we've been seeing.
It would explain things like the change in LAPD culture that happened since the 90's. And maybe New York too.

In many ways, some police officers are much like those pandemic protestors: it's all about putting on a show of power, about believing that the gun and armor make them more important.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In many ways, some police officers are much like those pandemic protestors: it's all about putting on a show of power, about believing that the gun and armor make them more important.
I've heard a number of analysts say that in America the job tends to attract bullies: cowards with a need to feel power.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Based on the authors claim...
15% will do the right thing always
15% abuse their power
70% could go either way depending with whom they are working

What that means 85% of the force is corrupt. Bad apples be damned

This excerpt is frightening for black people because when this email went out that police academy president should have been barred from working in law enforcement for life. Why are people like him allowed to permeate any police force??
And I worked with people like the president of my police academy class, who sent out an email after President Obama won the 2008 election that included the statement, "I can't believe I live in a country full of ni**er lovers!!!!!!!!" He patrolled the streets in St. Louis in a number of black communities with the authority to act under the color of law.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Its good reading.

I also don't know about those numbers, but I absolutely believe the greatest group by far are those who follow the culture of the organization. To me this is hopeful. A good leadership culture empowers that 70% or whatever it is so they don't act like followers and they provide encouragement for the more principled officers to lead.