Fitbit data just undermined a woman’s rape claim

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
t turns out that a fitness tracker can do more to betray you than showing your friends and families you’re a couch potato. It can also undermine your claims about being a victim of a crime. In March, a Florida woman traveled to Lancaster, Pennsylvania where she stayed at her boss’s home, reports ABC 27. On a Tuesday, police were called to the home where they found overturned furniture, a knife and a bottle of vodka, according to Lancaster Online. Jeannine Risley told police she’d been sleeping and that she was woken up around midnight and sexually assaulted by a “man in his 30s, wearing boots.” However, Risley was wearing her Fitbit band at the time. She initially said that the Fitbit had been lost in the struggle, but police found it in a hallway and when they downloaded its activity, the device became a witness against her.

http://fusion.net/story/158292/fitbit-data-just-undermined-a-womans-rape-claim/

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Aaaaand we have a motive:
Local police also thought it was odd that there were no footprints in the snow around the home. After Risley’s boss, who is unnamed in news reports, offered what police considered further incriminating evidence, telling police that Risley was about to lose her position with the company, local authorities charged her with “false reports to law enforcement, false alarms to public safety, and tampering with evidence” for upending the furniture.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Did I get this right: a woman travels to another state where her male boss, who's about the fire her, offers her to stay at his place?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Also possibly hypnagogic/hypnopomic hallucinations or REM behavior disorder (RBD). If I hadn't been a man who was able to defend himself and would have fought back if I were attacked at night in my sleep, I seriously cannot say I would have been able to discount that I actually was being attacked in my sleep. I actually had to think about it, to deduce from the evidence that it did not happen (or very likely did not).

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
After Risley’s boss, who is unnamed in news reports, offered what police considered further incriminating evidence, telling police that Risley was about to lose her position with the company

HR to Boss: you need to let Jeannine go.
boss to Jeannine: Hey Jeannine come up to PA and stay at my home for a few days....

wtf?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I like how she's charged with a misdemeanor for falsely reporting what would be a major felony. If you actively lie about a crime that could put someone away for 10+ years, that should be the punishment you face as well.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
Did I get this right: a woman travels to another state where her male boss, who's about the fire her, offers her to stay at his place?

WTF is this. This makes no sense at all. Can't really ever see someone sleeping at their boss's home and definitely not before getting released. Odd

Last edited:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Found it in in this story towards the end:

"Risley was charged with making false reports and tampering with evidence.

On March 23, Risley entered the accelerated rehabilitative disposition program.

The program allows first-time offenders of nonviolent crimes to avoid a conviction if they successfully complete probation.

Risley will be on probation for two years, must perform 100 hours of community service, pay program costs, get a mental health evaluation and keep a full-time job."

Doesn't sound like much of a punishment for faking such a serious crime.