Fisherman's Wife Kindra Arneson on Gulf Oil Disaster

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Coming from a family of fishermen (her husband has permits for everything - shrimp, oysters, fish, etc.) she talks about the last 2 months of oil "spill"/ eruption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3bzypjTIWg&feature=player_embedded

She talks about the effect on her children, the games played by BP, her own ventures when she took a boat out to watch huge flocks of birds eat the dying fish.

Very good, says it exactly like it is.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Is it me or is there hardly any news coverage of the damage and what's happening to the wildlife?

Every living thing touching those gulf waters is going to die. We had damn well keep a good record of this for a lesson to remember centuries from now.

I'm not seeing it either.

Oct 16, 1999
Is it me or is there hardly any news coverage of the damage and what's happening to the wildlife?

There mornings I have been home since the spill I have seen fair coverage from GMA/Today/TES and they usually cram a segment in on the evening news. No idea about the cable network coverage.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2010/06/pelicans-texas-oil-spill/1

There is a little. The media is definitely not focusing on the negative. Sure they released 5 dozen clean pelicans..how many oil slicked ones are out there.

millions - maybe billions.

one of the facts that has come out - there's an EPA rule that says animals that die from a toxic spill have to be autopsied.

so what BP is doing to get around the rule - decapitating all the dead animals they pick up. de-capitated animals don't get autopsies - that's the rule.

as far as i'm concerned, BP had one month to show what they could do. although there were signs of "technical difficulties" as far back as Feb. 13, the official date of the start of the spill is April 20.

so this became Obama's oil spill on May 20.

and he is totally F*cking up.

Oct 16, 1999
I hope more people are watching this than the responses would indicate. This is the first time I feel like I've gotten any straight info from anyone actually in the know on this mess. It's a sad state of affairs when being some unknown person on the internet instantly gives you more credibility than any government or company official.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
The more people that know how bad it is, the worse it looks for Obama. The media cant have their messiah looking bad now can they?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I hope more people are watching this than the responses would indicate. This is the first time I feel like I've gotten any straight info from anyone actually in the know on this mess. It's a sad state of affairs when being some unknown person on the internet instantly gives you more credibility than any government or company official.

Welcome to our hell. To add insult to injury the Federal government has only done one thing consistently and that is to prevent us from saving our own waters and wetlands. BP has proven they don't give a fuck by their lack of action. OTOH, it appears that the Feds are intentionally getting in the way of mitigating and cleaning up this mess. I never thought I would give any sort of credibility to a statement like that but if you know even a little bit about the situation on the ground how in the world do you argue otherwise? They would literally do us a favor by packing their shit and leaving us the hell alone. We aren't even asking for help anymore because when we do the Feds not only don't help us they get in the way and slow us down. Thousands of acres of wetlands in just the parishes I live and work in have been destroyed directly as a result of some asshole bureaucrat and his redtape (Fuck BP, not leaving them out but they will not be the solution, they have and are proving that).

They are pushing them cajuns way to far and they are gonna push back real hard and real soon. Yall might laugh at the sound and sight of the "Cajun Navy" but when they blockade the LOOP you will by crying your eyes out. It is truly a sad day when citizens are forced to threaten economic harm to the entire nation just to get the Feds to "allow" a state to protect its OWN land and waters. Not that I agree with it but I sure can't blame em.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The more people that know how bad it is, the worse it looks for Obama. The media cant have their messiah looking bad now can they?

I know right? If only Obama would of just let BP handle this thing... Private industry gets it done.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I know right? If only Obama would of just let BP handle this thing... Private industry gets it done.

I know. When are the uber-righties gonna get their story straight? Which one of these beliefs have republicans expressed:

A. Government is the problem, not the solution.
B. Less regulation of private enterprise stimulates the economy
C. Environmental regulation is an unnecessary burden on businesses. They can police themselves.
C. Obama needs to pay for the cleanup (using taxpayer money), because taking money from BP to do it is a shakedown.

If you said all of the above, then you're right. And your head just exploded.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I know right. If only we had a big government that had the resources (Read: Money) to respond to things like this it would be much better. If only we had a few dozen Federal agencies to prevent states from saving their own water and their own coasts.

Damn this small Federal government we have!!! What we really need is another dozen or so agencies telling the states that they can't save their own waters and their own land on top of the agencies that are currently already doing just that.

Both of your dumb clubs are fucking this up. Call me on it, I dare ya. I'll make a fool out of you just like I did in the last thread. Your idiotic clubs (both of them) are to busy trading political jabs to actually get the fuck out of the way of progress down here. What do I know though, I am just a guy that floats around on a skiff right?

I don't know why I bother responding to you because you are a complete waste of my time. Just pisses me off that people who have no fucking clue what they are talking about want to defend the assholes who are directly responsible for slowing down and outright preventing us from protecting our waters and coast. The "righties private industry" failed and now the lefties (not that the righties don't love their big government too) "big government" is failing but you will only agree with one of those. I wonder why...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
awww. Did I make you mad? lollolololol. You can blame the oil spill on me if you like. I don't mind. If it makes you feel better go ahead.

What is it that your state would do to fix this thing? Hmmm? Build sandbars so all the oil goes to another state?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's true. I've seen VERY, VERY little of it.

They had a thing on NPR last week. Some guys saying that trying to save birds is a waste of time and prolongs the inevitable and others saying it depends on the bird, but certain kinds of wild life CANNOT recover after their oil bath even if they look clean after. They have high rates of illnesses not long after, reproductive rates through the floor, etc.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

these people help elect Presidents

OIL is THE biggest economy OF THE WORLD...

we are big oils little concubines...

our government
our media
is owned by big oil

wtf else do you do with SIX BILLION PROFIT IN THREE MONTHS

buy some hookers and blow -- Politicians are the hookers.. Media people are the blow.. and I will bet big oil owns much..

I know a lot of older people.. who won't even watch the news right now they are so pissed off at BP and our gov