Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil supplements.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: 49erinnc
Originally posted by: Megatomic
I don't like the way my burps taste when I take the flax/fish oil supplements I use,

Great tip I learned from my doctor is to keep your fish oil pills in the freezer. You won't get any more fish burps if you swallow them when they are frozen.

That's good to know. There is one out there that's coated so that it doesn't break open until it gets beyond your stomach, but it's kind of hard to find and expensive. I quit taking fish oil because of the nasty, nasty fish burps. I'll have to try freezing them.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
I don't like the way my burps taste when I take the flax/fish oil supplements I use,

Great tip I learned from my doctor is to keep your fish oil pills in the freezer. You won't get any more fish burps if you swallow them when they are frozen.

Another good thing to do is just take it before bed.

Oh crap no!....Ive woke up with bad fish burps and heartburn doing that before.
Best to do is take them frozen and right before you eat so that the food layers over the fish oil.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Also why take Flax and Fish oil? They have pretty close to the same Omega benefits right?

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Squisher
I don't know a lot about fish oil, but you can actually make the worlds healthiest salad dressing by mixing flaxseed oil and cider vinegar and spices (like are in Italian dressing).

I always bought my flaxseed oil as a liquid in a bottle (keep refrigerated) and used it this way or in a protein shake.

The only thing you don't want to do with flaxseed oil is cook with it (destroys its benefits). Although, you can throw it on hot food ready to serve as an oil/butter substitute. But, you can cook with the flaxseed meal (bread, muffins, cookies, etc.).

Hasn't caught on too much yet but hemp oil is even more beneficial than flax oil (not that flax is bad because it's not at all). Loaded with Omega-3's, more EFA's than flax oil, contains GLA (flax does not) and definitely tastes better. Longer shelf life too.

I keep a bottle in my fridge and use it primarily on salads but also on certain potato dishes and even in protein shakes/smoothies. I buy it at a wholesale supplement store but it's becoming more and more available. I know Earth Fare carries it now and I'm sure Whole Foods does as well.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: purbeast0
I just ordered some fish oil pills today.

It's been years since I've taken them.

What is the recommended usage of them exactly? I believe when I took them before I just took 2 in the morning, and 2 at night.

I take around 3000mg/day. Usually in the morning and then again with dinner. Occasionally, Target will do a special for B1G1F for around $6.99. I'll buy a couple 2-packs and just toss them in the freezer. They won't go bad before you go through them.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet

What is the recommended usage of them exactly? I believe when I took them before I just took 2 in the morning, and 2 at night.

I depends dude...I took 16 of them bitches when I was bulking since 1 pill = 1 gram... :)

My god did my burps stink...haha!

I thought that you could OD on Vitamin A if you take too much fish oil...

http://www.drugs.com/fish_oil.html

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

..sleep wit the fishes?? :confused:

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet

I depends dude...I took 16 of them bitches when I was bulking since 1 pill = 1 gram... :)

My god did my burps stink...haha!

I thought that you could OD on Vitamin A if you take too much fish oil...

http://www.drugs.com/fish_oil.html

You can take up to 4 grams of Omega 3 a day. Omega 3 are in the fish oil pills. So that's like 16 pills a day for me. I think it's kinda hard to OD on that.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Chadder007

Oh crap no!....Ive woke up with bad fish burps and heartburn doing that before.
Best to do is take them frozen and right before you eat so that the food layers over the fish oil.

I take them almost every night before bed and never had that happen...I'm guessing you probably ate something else that gave you heartburn.