Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil supplements.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I've recently gotten into the habit of taking two fish oil and two flaxseed oil softgels a day. I personally really like the taste and the texture of both, but is it ok to chew them open, or should I be swallowing them whole? The directions simply say "' 'take' two softgels one to two times daily"

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
But, but, I like the taste :(

I figure that it all eventually ends up in my stomach no matter what method I use to get them there.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
my god, you like the taste of flaxseed oil? something is seriously wrong with you.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Maleficus
my god, you like the taste of flaxseed oil? something is seriously wrong with you.

I enjoy the taste of diesel...

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I don't like the way my burps taste when I take the flax/fish oil supplements I use, I can't imagine how horrid they'd taste if I chewed them up.

If you like the taste of flax seed, get milled flax and add it to your foods. I put it in oatmeal and yogurt mostly, but sometimes I'll put it in other foods too.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Ugh, gross... fish oil burps are the worst, why would you ever want to chew them?

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I've recently gotten into the habit of taking two fish oil and two flaxseed oil softgels a day. I personally really like the taste and the texture of both, but is it ok to chew them open, or should I be swallowing them whole? The directions simply say "' 'take' two softgels one to two times daily"

Why WOULDN't it be ok? It's just oil in a softgel...it'll get down to your stomach eventually. You do realize they sell Flax-seed oil as just oil yeah?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny

then why bother buying them?
If you like the taste... go to your local lake, catch a few fish (trout, catfish, etc) and put them in an aquarium at home... then every day take one out and lick the oil off their skin...

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Megatomic
I don't like the way my burps taste when I take the flax/fish oil supplements I use,

Great tip I learned from my doctor is to keep your fish oil pills in the freezer. You won't get any more fish burps if you swallow them when they are frozen.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
wow, lots of people take fish oil huh? maybe my next bodybuilding.com order i'll toss some in

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill
wow, lots of people take fish oil huh? maybe my next bodybuilding.com order i'll toss some in

Honestly, I think a lot of supplements are mostly hype. Some certainly work but there is no doubt in my mind that fish oil is the most beneficial, effective and crucial supplement you can take. If I had to give up every single one of my supplements with the exception of one, it would be fish oil. Even over my multi.

Just can't dispute the results.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: 49erinnc

Honestly, I think a lot of supplements are mostly hype. Some certainly work but there is no doubt in my mind that fish oil is the most beneficial, effective and crucial supplement you can take. If I had to give up every single one of my supplements with the exception of one, it would be fish oil. Even over my multi.

Why is Fish Oil the most beneficial? It's my belief that ALL "supplements" are a waste of money.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: shocksyde

Why is Fish Oil the most beneficial? It's my belief that ALL "supplements" are a waste of money.

B/c fish oil comes directly from the fish and is no different than just eating a fish.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Megatomic
I don't like the way my burps taste when I take the flax/fish oil supplements I use,

Great tip I learned from my doctor is to keep your fish oil pills in the freezer. You won't get any more fish burps if you swallow them when they are frozen.

Another good thing to do is just take it before bed.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't know a lot about fish oil, but you can actually make the worlds healthiest salad dressing by mixing flaxseed oil and cider vinegar and spices (like are in Italian dressing).

I always bought my flaxseed oil as a liquid in a bottle (keep refrigerated) and used it this way or in a protein shake.

The only thing you don't want to do with flaxseed oil is cook with it (destroys its benefits). Although, you can throw it on hot food ready to serve as an oil/butter substitute. But, you can cook with the flaxseed meal (bread, muffins, cookies, etc.).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just ordered some fish oil pills today.

It's been years since I've taken them.

What is the recommended usage of them exactly? I believe when I took them before I just took 2 in the morning, and 2 at night.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0
I just ordered some fish oil pills today.

It's been years since I've taken them.

What is the recommended usage of them exactly? I believe when I took them before I just took 2 in the morning, and 2 at night.

I depends dude...I took 16 of them bitches when I was bulking since 1 pill = 1 gram... :)

My god did my burps stink...haha!

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Ugh, gross... fish oil burps are the worst, why would you ever want to chew them?

QFT!!

omg if i chewed a fish oil pill i think i'd lose it.
Though i havent had a fish oil burp in a while, i make sure to get them down the hatch hard & fast. I still am gonna try the freezer trick.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
I make bread with flax meal in it. Yum. I think this is a much better delivery method than taking pills, which I hate.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
It depends on what the purpose of the pill is.

If the pill is supposed to protect the oil from being broken down in the stomach, your chewing of the pills will ruin the benefit of the oil.