FirstPower LCD Display Digital Power Saving Energy Monitor KWh Meter $9.99 @ Newegg (FirstPower) (FIRE HAZARD?!?)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
AP4DS200730EfQgt.jpg

FirstPower LCD Display Digital Power Saving Energy Monitor Watt Amp Volt KWh Meter Electricity Analyzer $9.99

Boy, do I feel like a chump. I just paid $42.99 x 3 last month for three REAL Kill-A-Watt P4460 by P3 International units. They certainly weren't this cheap. But they have a battery, and store cumulative usage data, even in the event of a power-off.

I couldn't quite tell if these $11.99 units do that. Still, fairly cheap. Assuming that they are even remotely accurate, these would not be a bad purchase, I don't think. Good to have a few in the toolbox, especially if you are GPU mining, and want to know your ACTUAL at-the-wall power-consumption from your rig.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

TechYesCity apparently uses a power meter that looks identical to the one in this deal.

(See around 13:00 mark)

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
12 dollars for a kilowatt type meter is very good deal.
I think i paid 25 dollars for mine.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
On the bay shipped from china around $11. I've had no issues after years with my Killawatt, so these new guys without UL approval on them I think I would like to see a take apart review before plugging one in and walking away.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Letters printed on the back, often don't mean much. A tear down could show a LOT.

BTW CE on the back, but voltage ranges are strictly US.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I have this meter, i also have another meter that i misplaced (why i bought this one) not sure how much i paid most likely 14$ after tax and shipping from amazon. it has a battery and calculates cost when you input how much you pay per kwh.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
12 dollars for a kilowatt type meter is very good deal.
I just ordered several of them. One or two for me, one each for several friends that might find them useful.

I know it was an eye-opener when I connected my main PC to one, many years ago.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I just ordered several of them. One or two for me, one each for several friends that might find them useful.

I know it was an eye-opener when I connected my main PC to one, many years ago.

i don't know how shocked you are but when i connected my pc i thought.. Wow that's barely using any at all 70watts idle? So i fired up DOOM eternal, it went up to 220-230watts while playing with a 1070. my fridge on the other hand was using 110watts, recently

On a side note, i switched my PGE to higher prices for 4pm-9pm (not that i use much just during the summer sometimes it goes up to 45+cents a kwh, i wonder what they will charge me from 4-9pm for usage :) might need to change it to 5-8 higher prices if 4-9 isnt working. Still havnt got solar, but was tempted to get a battery backup system since there are tax writeups for 26% off and i can use that battery for 4pm-9pm :p see how it works.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Seems like a good price and I've always wanted one of these devices. I don't plan on leaving this monitor plugged in so I'm not too worried about safety. I also usually avoid new marketplace sellers but for $12 it's worth the risk.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This article is a bit eye-opening. I'm not saying that this power meter is going to catch fire... but I'm not saying it isn't, either, especially if the safety certification logo on the back is faked (which, apparently, happens semi-often for Chinese-made electronics).

That's what I like about the UL listings, they have the actual tested product number that you can look up online, under the certification logo.

• Wow
Reactions: Thump553

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
On the bay shipped from china around $11. I've had no issues after years with my Killawatt, so these new guys without UL approval on them I think I would like to see a take apart review before plugging one in and walking away.
AFAIK, my Kill-a-Watt is still good. I'm not positive how accurate they are, in particular with low draw components. I used to doubt it, now not so sure.

Would be interested how these $12 devices compare, i.e. if they have same/similar readings.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
This is the one bought from newegg. I don't have another to compare. I also didn't crack it open all the way.

meter1.jpgmeter2.jpg

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Amazon has at least ten similar meters at various prices, many much higher than Newegg.

Somehow I doubt that hot bare wire on the inside would meet UL approval. ;)

This type of meter is very handy, using my Killawatt right now to track watts on my new UPS, modem, nas, router, my pc and monitor, 165 watts, ups max 250.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Searching, I see these all over online. If anybody's house had burned down, especially if multiple, I think they wouldn't be available. Don't sue me if it happens to you, though.

I bought some super cheap LED light bulbs, super low wattage, IIRC about 2 watts each, to use as basically night lights. Made in China, and off ebay, I guess. Just light enough to not stumble and bump into something. Someone told me if my house burned down because one of these went blewy, I'd not be covered by my fire insurance. I don't know how much credence to give any of it. I figure the Chinese made them for the Chinese and that towns weren't burning down from them. So far so good!

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I wonder if the shunt on the Killawatt is on the hot side like the pict shows for this one, or the much safer neutral side?

Ah, gotcha, since there are no widespread stories of fires in the media, they should be OK. I'm not with UL, but have blown stuff up, and I doubt these pose much of a hazard, some stinky smoke much more likely than a burn your house down fire. I would use some caution in leaving it unattended in a location with flammable materials like drapes etc.

Reactions: Muse

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Fire Hazard!?!?! Be careful out there. Running a 1200W mining rig through one of these little meters, is apparently NOT a good idea.

I've stopped using mine a few months ago, and switched-out to a 240V Tripp-Lite metered (ammeter) PDU (metal case) and C13/C14 cables, for my "serious" mining rigs.

I still have a (real) Kill-A-Watt EZ connected to my main rig (420-450W) semi-permanently.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, do not use unattended. Just read this review at Amazon for evidently the same but rebranded device:

Jay B. Cutts

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire danger
Reviewed in the United States on November 2, 2019
Verified Purchase
This worked great for about 6 months or so. Then one day we smelled something burning. The unit was melting at the plug. If we had not been home, this could have been dangerous. The company replaced the unit for free, saying that sometimes a connection gets loosened in shipping and can short out. The new unit lasted about three weeks and then also melted at the plug. I'm not going to try another one, as the risk of a fire is too great.
144 people found this helpful

I have a Kill-a-Watt since at least 2008, "P3" MODEL P4400. I have yet to compare these. The instructions for this "Power Meter" are pretty badly done. I've seen a lot worse, but these are bad. I scanned them, ran OCR and edited the text as well as I could and yesterday made 4 copies in what to me looks like comprehensible English, context, syntax, grammar, etc.

Edit: Here's the result of my edits to the OCR of the instructions...

Power Meter - Instruction Manual

Power Meter is a monitoring and testing instrument which determines the power consumption of a connected appliance and the cost of the electricity consumed.

Installing the batteries
Built-in 3.6V rechargeable Batteries (Nl-MH). The purpose is to store the total electricity and memory settings.

Resetting
If an abnormal display appears or the buttons produce no response, the instrument must be reset. To do this, press the RESET button. [drm: This appears to be a tiny hole you poke]

Display Mode
Entire LCD can be displayed for about 1 minute and then it automatically goes to Mode 1. To change from one mode to the next, press the FUNCTION button.

Mode 1: Time/Watt/Cost Display
Display duration (how long) this device is connected to power source.
LCD on first line shows 0:00 with first two figures meaning minutes (2 figures will occur after 10min) and the rest show seconds. After 60mins, it displays 0:00 again with first two numbers signifying hours (2 figures will occur at 10 hours) and the rest show minutes. The rest can be done in the same manner which means after 24 hours, it will re-calculate. LCD on second line displays current power which ranges from 0.0Watts - 9999 Watts. LCD on third line displays the current electricity costs which range from 0.0 cost - 9999 cost. It will stay on 0.00 cost before setting rate without other figures.

Mode 2: Time/Cumulative electrical quantity Display
Display duration (how long) this device is connected to power source.
LCD on first line shows 0:00 with first two figures signifying minutes (2 figures will occur at 10 minute mark), subsequent figures are seconds. After 60mins, it displays 0:00 again with first two figures signifying hour (2 figures will appear at 10 hours) and subsequent figures signify minutes. The rest can be done in the same manner which means after 24 hours, it will re-calculate. LCD on second line displays current cumulative with range in 0.000 KWH - 9999 KWH without other figures. LCD on third line displays "DAY"—“1" will be shown on numerical part (the other three figures will be shown at carry) which means it has accumulated electrical quantity for 24 hours (one day). The rest can be done in the same manner until the maximal cumulative time of 9999 days.

Mode 3: Time/Voltage/Frequency Display
LCD on first line displays the same as Mode 1 does.
LCD on second line displays current voltage supply (V) which ranges from 0.0V-9999V. LCD on third line displays current frequency (HZ) which ranges from 0.0HZ - 9999HZ without other figures.

Mode 4: Time/Current/Power Factor Display
LCD on first line displays the same as Mode 1 does. LCD on second line displays load current which ranges from 0.000A - 9999A. LCD on third line displays current Power factor which ranges from
0.00PF-1.0PF without other figures.

Mode 5: Time/Minimum Power Display
LCD on second line displays the minimum power which ranges from 0.0W - 9999W. LCD on third line displays Character of “Lo" without other figures.

Mode 6: Time/Maximal Power Display
LCD on second line displays the maximal power which ranges from 0.0W - 9999W. LCD on third line displays Character of "Hi" without other figures.

Mode 7: Time/Price Display
LCD on first line displays the same as Mode 1 does. LCD on third line Displays the cost which ranges from 0.00COST/KWH - 99.99COST/KWH without other figures.

Overload Display:
When the power socket connects the load over 3680W, LCD on second line displays "OVERLOAD" with booming noise to warn the users (selectable choice)

Supplemental information:
1: Except “OVERLOAD" interface, LCD on first line displays time in repetition within 24 hours.
2: LCD on first line, second line or third line described in this take section according to two black lines on LCD screen. Here it is added for clarification purposes.
3: Mode 7 will directly occur while pressing down button "cost".
4:"UP"&“DOWN" have no function except in setting mode.

Setting Mode -
1. Electricity price setting
Keeping the COST button pressed for more than 3 seconds (LCD on third line display system defaults Price, e.g. 0.00COST/KWH) the rendered content begins moving up and down which means that the device has entered the setting mode. Then press FUNCTION button to change selection and press UP/DOWN to set what you want. (On pressing once, the figure after decimal point will increase or decrease accordingly. On pressing and holding, figures after decimal point will increase or decrease slowly for 2 seconds while figures change quickly when pressing for more than 2 seconds. When hold-down time reaches 10 seconds or more, the figures after decimal point will stop while the figures before decimal point begin increasing or decreasing.) After that, press FUNCTION for switching ,then press "UP" and “DOWN” button again to set value which ranges from 00.00COST/KWH - 99.99COST/KWH, After setting all above, press COST to return to Mode 7 or it will automatically return to Mode7 without any pressing after setting with data storage.

Technical specification:
Operating voltage: 120V, 6OHZ
Operating current: max 15A
Wide voltage range: 110V----130V
Timing display range: 0 seconds----9999days
Wattage display (watts): 0W----9999W
Voltage Display range: 0V----9999V
Current Display (amps): 0.000A----15.000A
Frequency Display: 0Hz----9999Hz
Minimum Wattage display range: 0W----9999W
Maximum Wattage display range: 0W----9999W
Price display range: 0.00€/KWH----99.99€/KWH