First time watercooler - need advice on a AIO closed loop

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by Corporate Thug, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Corporate Thug

So I'm getting kind of bored and want to mix things a LITTLE - not enough to assemble a custom loop. Anyway, I'll be buying a H100i or a thermaltake extreme water soon. My case is a Corsair 700d...so no worries about room. However, my question is this: w/ a closed loop, does the system need any case fans at all (obviously other than the ones on the rad)?

2. MaxICH

MaxICH Member

My personal opinion is to avoid closed loop cooling (aka ghetto water cooling). Either get the proper water cooling equipment or get a high end air cooling and be happy.

3. Corporate Thug

I don't have the time/effort/motivation to do a custom loop. I'm no opposed to high end air, but I want to try something new, esp. in light of the fact that these closed looks go on sale for about the same price as high end air would. Also, as the topic suggestions, I'm trying to see if the loop would alleviate the need for additional fans...something that I'm required to have for air coolers.

4. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

If you are running the system with an AIO, you would not need any more fans (maybe one exhaust or intake, depending on which way your rad fan is blowing).

Also, the new H100i looks like its going to be pretty good and an improvement (it comes with the new corsair fans!)

5. Corporate Thug

So the AIO would be top mounted...I want to see if I can get rid of the exhaust or not.

6. crazymonkeyzero

crazymonkeyzero Senior member

AIO coolers are pretty good imo. They give you around 80% of custom loop performance at half the cost and of course not to mention time saved.

Just make sure your overall case pressure is positive to prevent dust build up within the case. In other words, you want more flux of air going in the case (more intake fans) than exhausting out (given you have fan filters). The ratio doesn't really matter long as it's still positive.

Pretty much you need one or two intake fans. one exhaust fan. These may already come with your case. And the rad+the fans which it comes with should blow hot air out to ensure positive pressure. This make a total of 5-6 fans.

7. Corporate Thug

thanks for reply...me thinks the positive air pressure is impossible w/ the osidian series' design.

8. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

If its used as an exhaust, just have a few slow fans as intakes (low low rpm like 700)

9. crazymonkeyzero

I actually didn't think of this for some reason. Good idea! This would balance out the pressure better.

10. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

AIO's are frakkin loud. If you want quiet you gotta back down to <60% and then they perform worse than a Thermalright, Phanteks or even Evo 212 for $29. The only mode in which an AIO pummels air is at >90% and then you have a jet engine. No mater make or model. Check all the youtube videos if you need proof. Stick with dry land cooling is my advice.

11. Corporate Thug

12. crazymonkeyzero

They are actually quieter if you make the fan intake cool air from outside (not sure if you tried this, but for me, it helped, or at least the sound is at a frequency which is more pleasant to the ear).If you want extreme silence cash in some extra dough to replace the stock fans with these noctua focus flows, which will make any AIO VERY quiet (with a good case like the R4)even at max speed. Personally I like AIOs because of the aesthetics as bulky towers look kind of ugly imo, especially if you have a window side panel.