• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

First Time Roommate Search

MaverickBP

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2004
1,414
0
0
So as the title says I may be in the market for a roommate. I'm a pretty clean guy so may be looking towards a female roommate. Any advice/stories/words of warning from those of you who have or have had roommates? Maybe rules that need to be set up in advance? Thanks.
 

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
3,290
1
81
Ask them if they're crazy. Normal people will laugh it off, crazy people will tell you about all of the medications they're on, and how Drano under their tongue gets rid of the evil spirits.
 

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
4,755
1
81
You can only do your best to gauge a person. When I was searching for a roomie I thought I had found a great one, everything was great for the first couple weeks. Then it all went south. Moral of the story is you probably won't know if you made the right decision until the person is already living with you.

Good luck!:)
 

MaverickBP

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2004
1,414
0
0
Originally posted by: S Freud
You can only do your best to gauge a person. When I was searching for a roomie I thought I had found a great one, everything was great for the first couple weeks. Then it all went south. Moral of the story is you probably won't know if you made the right decision until the person is already living with you.

Good luck!:)
So how did it go south? Was there anything from the initial meeting that you realized you should've heeded after things had gone south?
 

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
3,290
1
81
It's the little things that start to get to you. Most disagreements are over guests, cleanliness, and the use of items and food.
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Right off the bat I would not recommend females.

Secondly....if you are not used to roomates and are very particular about things(OCD tendencies) it wont go well.

You need to be easy going, open minded and laid back to be happy with a roomate. The person will inevitably be different from you even if you are both clean.

I get along with everyone and I have only had problems with one roomate. He never contributed anything to the house ever and he skipped out on his piece of the cable bill.....he was an exception the cheapest motherfvcker I have ever met. Worst part was he drove a new bmw. :roll:

As far as hard rules go....I don't know I've never had any. If I wanted rules I'd live at home. So as an adult I won't impose rules on another adult. Respect is what is most important.
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,806
44
91
I don't know how people do it. I don't know that I could trust living with a total stranger.
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Originally posted by: pontifex
I don't know how people do it. I don't know that I could trust living with a total stranger.
where do your trust issues come from. you must have been burned pretty badly.
 

MaverickBP

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2004
1,414
0
0
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Right off the bat I would not recommend females.

Secondly....if you are not used to roomates and are very particular about things(OCD tendencies) it wont go well.

You need to be easy going, open minded and laid back to be happy with a roomate. The person will inevitably be different from you even if you are both clean.

I get along with everyone and I have only had problems with one roomate. He never contributed anything to the house ever and he skipped out on his piece of the cable bill.....he was an exception the cheapest motherfvcker I have ever met. Worst part was he drove a new bmw. :roll:
I am pretty easy going. Why would you recommend against a female roommate? I let one of my guy friends stay with me for a bit cause he needed a place and that went very well. Of course I knew this guy my entire life and knew I could trust him.


I agree with your statement pontifex. I have cameras recording in my apt all the time and when the motion sensor goes off my cell phone gets paged to alert me. Of course having a roommate, that feature would be pointless to have turned on. Why do I have cameras? I post on Anand so i'm obviously some kind of geek. I just make good money and like to spend it on electronics lol. That is why i'm worried because I have alot of money in electronics in that apt...
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,806
44
91
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Originally posted by: pontifex
I don't know how people do it. I don't know that I could trust living with a total stranger.
where do your trust issues come from. you must have been burned pretty badly.
:confused:
 

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
15,381
5
91
I would recommend against a female roomate as well. In general they're not going to be as easy going/relaxed, or relate to you as well if you watch sports and game a lot. Also, usually, the issue of bringing girls home isn't as big a deal and is just another thing to which you can relate if you room with another bachelor.

As for rules, when I lived with my roomies, I always had my own food and my own dishes. Be absolutely disciplined about cleaning up your cooking messes right after you're done. More often than not, if you set a good and clean example, then others will follow suit. If not, it's usually not a big deal to ask them to clean their mess because they'll feel guilty about being the dirty one.

Also, be social and involved them if you want to have parties or are going out with friends. Roomates can be great friends and terrible enemies. Might as well try to get things rolling in a positive direction. However, you'll usually find out if you clash and/or are fundamentally different fairly soon after, but certainly not before they've already moved in.
 

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
19,342
2,194
126
I would say its harder to find a good female roommate. This is a generalization but it seems that they are much more up-tight about their living conditions and have a harder time being flexible about living with someone who doesn't match those ideals. That being said the female roommate I had (prior to my wife) was the best roomie I had and we got along great
 

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
8,803
0
0
Get a really unattractive gay roommate. They will keep the place clean and never bring any guys home.
 

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
3,290
1
81
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Get a really unattractive gay roommate. They will keep the place clean and never bring any guys home.
Hahahahahahhahaha
 

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
17,619
2
76
I'd also advise against a female roomie.

I'm on my second roomie now.

First: really good friend Jerry, he owns a house. Was a total bachelor pad - no dining room table but we had a pool table. Two tv's + 2 360's in the living room. Crappy ass couch, torn up carpet from the dogs. Basketball goal outside. Beer stocked fridge, plus plenty of meat for grilling. Dart board where we played a ton. Wires and cables all over the floor from running our network setup. Lawn that looks like neither of us ever took care of it. Greatest thing ever. He got engaged and was going to get married, so moved out.

Second: good friend Jenn. She's cool as hell as a friend and to an extent, as a roomie, but just did stupid crap that just doesn't make sense from a guy's POV, but made sense to her. Clean, obviously keeps things tidy, don't see her much as she's at her BF's place a lot, which is a good thing. Always watches E! Online or some stupid crap like that. (Ended up moving my DLP into my room just bc I didn't buy that TV for her to watch stupid crap)

It's definitely a different feel living with a female vs male. Think assuming you have a good relationship with a guy friend, it's best to be a roomie with a guy rather than a chick, but that's just my $.02.
 

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
3,342
0
0
Originally posted by: MaverickBP
I agree with your statement pontifex. I have cameras recording in my apt all the time and when the motion sensor goes off my cell phone gets paged to alert me. Of course having a roommate, that feature would be pointless to have turned on. Why do I have cameras? I post on Anand so i'm obviously some kind of geek. I just make good money and like to spend it on electronics lol. That is why i'm worried because I have alot of money in electronics in that apt...

1. Don't settle for anything less than a hot female roommate.
2. Lower the monthly rent to some insane rate far below what is the norm where you live.
3. Make sure to have her invite all her hot female friends over to apt.
4. Start an online adult site once you build up your collection of good content.
5. Profit!
6. Be sure you do not skip step #5, since you will need to hire a good lawyer once the hot female roommate's [*] discovers pics/vids of her online.
7. Enjoy your newfound expat life!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY