First time overclocking

alius

Jan 13, 2003
Ok, I have an abit IS7, p4 2.4c and 4 256 buffalo (winbond CH-5 modules) all ready. I want to know how I should go about overclocking it, I know its baby steps but I've never done it before. Anyone care to hold my hand a bit? As in what fsb/mem ratio and such...1/1, 3/2, blahblahblah... I still have stock cooling so I don't want to push it too far. But I also know how difficult it is to burn out a p4. Any help is greatly apperciated. I've checked all over for good guides and really couldn't find what I wanted. Sorry, I'm probably posting about an oft-discussed topic. :x

alius

Night718

Jul 27, 2003
there's already a couple of topics about this.... but anyways here's a summary.......

since ur on stock cooling and don't want to do heavy overclocking....

bump ur FSB up to 250 from 200
set GAT to auto......which means off......since 865 chipsets can't have "PAT" and OCing at the same time......
set ur fsb/mem ratio to 5:4 so with 250 fsb ur mem will run at 200*2 which is ddr3200.... and i think thats about it?...... if ur system doesn't run stable..... lower ur FSB 5 mhz at a time until it does run stable...... or u can also up the voltage to ur vdimm and/or vcore...... this u'll have to search up on the forums because i never up the voltages since it makes everything hotter

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Night718
there's already a couple of topics about this.... but anyways here's a summary.......

since ur on stock cooling and don't want to do heavy overclocking....

bump ur FSB up to 250 from 200
set GAT to auto......which means off......since 865 chipsets can't have "PAT" and OCing at the same time......
set ur fsb/mem ratio to 5:4 so with 250 fsb ur mem will run at 200*2 which is ddr3200.... and i think thats about it?...... if ur system doesn't run stable..... lower ur FSB 5 mhz at a time until it does run stable...... or u can also up the voltage to ur vdimm and/or vcore...... this u'll have to search up on the forums because i never up the voltages since it makes everything hotter

Don't fret when using the stock HSF, I built a 2.4b@3ghz (50c load) for a friend...

It really isn't necessary to jump directly to 250, even if using the 5:4 divider... Just go slowly on the 1:1 for better performance....

You might need to bump your voltages after about a 400 mhz jump in speed...

CRParker

Jul 23, 2001
set ur fsb/mem ratio to 5:4 so with 250 fsb ur mem will run at 200*2 which is ddr3200

Please forgive another newbie with yet another question...

I have the MSI 875P NEO-FIS2R, P4-2.4 800 FSB, and 2 Kingston HyperX 256mb DDR 400 sticks in dual channel mode.

I'm now messing with o/c'ing, and am not sure what is meant by setting the ratio for fsb/mem. I can select a DDR speed (266/333/400) - is this the same thing? If so, is 333 the 5:4 ratio?

Not sure what the memory ratios actually mean - please help!