First-time Credit Card ... what to get ?

polm

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
I want to get a Credit Card to start building credit.

I don't really have any credit at this point. What is a good card to try and get ?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
There's a good chance you will be declined for your first credit card.

Go to your local bank or credit union where you hold an account and apply for either a SECURED CREDIT CARD or ask someone you know (does not have to be a parent or family member) to co-sign with you.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I got a capital one card about a week after I turned 18. It'll probably have a very low limit and very high interest rate, but it helps to build credit. My credit score is over 700 now with just 2 years of credit history on 2 credit cards and a few bills in my name.

Josh

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
I was going to ask this question too.. I need my daughter to get a credit card.. not so much for building credit (I guess that would be the fringe benefit), but for emergencies.. she's going overseas, she needs emergency access to money. what consitutes "very low limit"? 500.00 on student visas.. I guess that's better than nothing.. tide her over til I can dump some more money in her checking account, then her debit card oughta take over..

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
You first one will not be the best one, but soon you will learn. Most people take this as a joke, and don't think about. Just remember that it's a big responsibility and if things go wrong, you have to act like an adult and take responsibility.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
There's a good chance you will be declined for your first credit card.

Go to your local bank or credit union where you hold an account and apply for either a SECURED CREDIT CARD or ask someone you know (does not have to be a parent or family member) to co-sign with you.

He knows what he's talking about...I'd take his advice if I were you.