Question First time building a PC, looking for help picking out parts

bub_bb

Dec 9, 2020
Building a PC mainly for FPS games. A couple of games in the range of what I'll be playing are Cod, Squad, Tarkov, and Destiny 2.

Budget is $2000

I live in the US but I'm not familiar with whether or not parts overseas are of higher quality, honestly looking just for the right parts and I don't have too much concern with where they come from.

Personally a fan of AMD CPUs and NVIDIA Video Cards.

I don't have any current parts so no past parts are being included.

Currently not invested in Overclocking immediately after buying the computer but later in the future I'd like to probably.

To be honest, Going between 1,920x1,200 and 1,920x1,080. I haven't really had too much understanding of all that. But whatever would be the best for the price

If I can find the parts I'll be getting and build it right away. But I have speculations really just for around January or any earlier. For anyone who needs to know, I'm getting a "Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case", and as far as software goes, I don't really think I'll need any

Sorry If anything didn't make sense, really my first time diving into this stuff. Thank you so much

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Welcome to the forums!

You seem to be in a special category: enough cash for luxury components, no real preference for anything else.

I suggest you start here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/computer-building-resource-thread.62434/

Many questions you may have will be answered in that thread. But you have to read it carefully.

Once you figure out what you'll need and how you'll go about it, you can start putting together the machine. I suggest you use the online builder here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

This is pretty nifty: not only does it tell you what are the pirces for various items, but will also flag any incompatibilities between the pieces, just so that you don't have any last-minute suprises.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
1920x1080 vs 1920x1200 will determine the shape of your screen and whether there will be bars on the display when watching video.

1920x1200 is preferred for art or office work.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Hi,

Where do you prefer to buy from?
Do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, operating system, etc, for all this too and is that in the budget?

It's really hard to build with AMD at the moment due to stock, even 3000 series processors are scarce or way overpriced. It may be a few months before this is possible without a challenge finding something appropriately priced in stock. Just FYI.

It's also rather hard to get a decent appropriately priced nVidia GPU. So keep this in mind too. I imagine you'll want to look at at the RTX 2060 or better, at the very least, so this will take a bunch of your budget.

Very best,

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

bub_bb

Dec 9, 2020
Hi,

Where do you prefer to buy from?
Do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, operating system, etc, for all this too and is that in the budget?

It's really hard to build with AMD at the moment due to stock, even 3000 series processors are scarce or way overpriced. It may be a few months before this is possible without a challenge finding something appropriately priced in stock. Just FYI.

It's also rather hard to get a decent appropriately priced nVidia GPU. So keep this in mind too. I imagine you'll want to look at at the RTX 2060 or better, at the very least, so this will take a bunch of your budget.

Very best,
Thank you so much! Helped a ton, I'll look into maybe a different brand for a CPU!