First thread question!

straubs

Jan 31, 2001
Did I really get first thread in here? If so... that's pretty wild! :D

Anyone know how to get a laptop for a SIMILAR price w/o buying Windows with it? I don't think it's possible. And remember the SIMILAR PRICE part.
We shouldn't be forced to pay Microsoft just cuz we want a laptop...

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: straubs
Did I really get first thread in here? If so... that's pretty wild! :D

Anyone know how to get a laptop for a SIMILAR price w/o buying Windows with it? I don't think it's possible. And remember the SIMILAR PRICE part.
We shouldn't be forced to pay Microsoft just cuz we want a laptop...

i once tried that w/ a Dell Inspiron I bought. i didn't boot up my computer and called up Dell right when I got it. I told them I didn't boot up my laptop, therefore I didn't agree w/ MS's EULA. I asked if could get a refund on the OS. The CSR was confused and put my on hold. She came back and said something about Dell getting the software at super low prices and that on my receipt it said Windows XP cost me zero dollars. Basically, BS.

I just wanted to see if it'd work, so I didn't really pursue it.

If you're interested in a fairly cheap non-Microsoft OS laptop, check this out: $799 Lindows Mobile PC, at only 2.9 lbs

straubs

Jan 31, 2001
I see you've done your homework, lobadobadingdong... :)

I think this will help lots of people.

Afro000Dude

Feb 6, 2003
I was kinda wondering the same thing... Is there any way to "build" a laptop like you can "build" a desktop? That would be kinda cool...

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
A few years ago, a company called Kiwi (IIRC) tried this (build your own). I don't think it took off so well. The hardware, many times is so integrated that it just isn't economical.