first speeding ticket....im going to get killed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: SinfulWeeper
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: Laminator
Most tickets that are fought in court are dismissed. Police have a very important job to do with keeping the public safe. If you plea innocent and contest the ticket, the state has to call the police officer into court, most of the times on a different day. Most of the times the police officers wont even show up for something so trivial. If they don't show up, you can right off the bat ask the judge to dismiss as the state does not even have their star witness (the pig). Most state prosecutors will not even object to your motion to dismiss.
That depends where you live. Some police officers I know love it when people dispute tickets because they get overtime pay when they go to court. But if you have access to free legal advice (ATOT?) then by all means, use it.

That is a very small percentage of police officers out there. There are a few rotten tomato's out of the millions to prove the rule, and officers that show up for those are indeed rotten... though 'trying' to make a living.

On the other hand, there are plenty of asswipes who try to get out of speeding tickets they rightfully deserve by going to court (not a swipe at the OP).

Or there are officers that are required to go to traffic court regardless. Bring on the trails bitches! I'm on the big clock!

The odds of bumping into one of those officers are about as likely as me catching my catching my ex-wife in bed with another man while in the act. You might as well count it as dismissed unless you made a memorable night.

Don't come to my county then...ALL officers are required to be there.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: A Casual Fitz
Originally posted by: compguy786
my cousin is a police officer....would that help any ?

I would say ask him/her for advice, but don't try to use that connection in court.

That idea is to use that connection before court. Cops have a way of making such tickets disappear. My sister got a ticket in my home town, and her husband is a cop in a town 30 miles away. One phone call by him, and that ticket was gone. He didnt like doing it though.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
man, I wish the biggest problem in my life was "mom and dad finding out about a speeding ticket"

*sigh*....wheezer now returns to the realities of adulthood.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Engraver
Depending on what state you are in, sometimes you can go to Safe Driving School for 8 hours instead of your first ticket. I don't think there is a fee and you don't take an insurance hit.

You can do that here but you still have to pay the ticket and you have to pay for the class but it's worth it to keep those points off your license.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Most tickets that are fought in court are dismissed. Police have a very important job to do with keeping the public safe. If you plea innocent and contest the ticket, the state has to call the police officer into court, most of the times on a different day. Most of the times the police officers wont even show up for something so trivial. If they don't show up, you can right off the bat ask the judge to dismiss as the state does not even have their star witness (the pig). Most state prosecutors will not even object to your motion to dismiss.
That depends where you live. Some police officers I know love it when people dispute tickets because they get overtime pay when they go to court. But if you have access to free legal advice (ATOT?) then by all means, use it.

That is a very small percentage of police officers out there. There are a few rotten tomato's out of the millions to prove the rule, and officers that show up for those are indeed rotten... though 'trying' to make a living.

On the other hand, there are plenty of asswipes who try to get out of speeding tickets they rightfully deserve by going to court (not a swipe at the OP).

What's wrong with trying to get out of a ticket? :confused:

archiloco

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2004
tell them you are a teenager and would like to do community service instead of paying a fine, i have seen it work for a guy he had over 600 bucks he had to pay or go to jail (no seatbelt ticket, speeding, another no seatbelt) and he said he was willing to work for it. the guy said ok and gave him like 120 hrs. of community service he had to do in in a few weeks. of course if they deny it you have to pay right there or they send you to a holding cell where you have to call somebody to take you the money or they send you to jail :( this is Texas though, don't know exactly what state you in......

or just say you need a new alternator and it's going to be 150 bucks :) then trade it for you know what starts with a "B" ends in F with two E's in the middle

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
To people saying not to hide it from your parents.

I dunno, I had the exact same thing happen, and I did the DD class. It disappeared, and never affected my insurance.
My dad never found out, but if he did I'm sure he would have appreciated that I settled my own shit without bothering him or affecting the insurance rates.

I guess it depends on your parents, only you can really know if your parents will beat the shit out of you if you settle it without telling them.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: novasatori
To people saying not to hide it from your parents.

I dunno, I had the exact same thing happen, and I did the DD class. It disappeared, and never affected my insurance.
My dad never found out, but if he did I'm sure he would have appreciated that I settled my own shit without bothering him or affecting the insurance rates.

I guess it depends on your parents, only you can really know if your parents will beat the shit out of you if you settle it without telling them.

To a certain extent you are right but then if he gets another one and has to tell his parents for one reason or another they will say "well do defensive driving" and then he will ahve to explain why he can't. Might not come back to bite him in the ass but I wouldn't take that chance. Honesty and communication go a long way with building trust in parents in my experiences.

jatwell

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: compguy786
i called up my cousin...he said he could dismiss it or something...but i seriously doubt it. i never said there was no advice in this thread....i just needed some help from the person who is a officer himself...you guys have been a great help in finding other options.thanks guys !

I live in NC. Go w/ the attorney and $200 (you might be able to find one cheaper)

They usually talk to the DA and get the speeding ticket changed to a non-moving violation that will not show up on your driving record at all. The thing you want to do is avoid getting points at all in the first place and this will do that.

If you want to save a couple bucks and this is truly your first time ever w/ a ticket, you can show up in court and ask for a Prayer for Judgement Continued. This will also let the ticket not show up on your record at all, BUT if you get another one within 1-3 years (not sure, at least one) BOTH tickets show up on your record. Text

If it were me and I was paying $150 already, just get the $200 and make it go away for good.

jatwell

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, and BTW if you live with your parents and their address is on your license, you'll start getting a ton of letters from lawyers around Charlotte proposing to do exactly what I just said.

It'll be hard to explain those. They watch the list of tickets and send out mail to all, expect 10-15 :D

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I have a feeling that the OP won't take any advice given in this thread and simply posted it to get people to feel sorry for him or make a comment against the system or something stupid like that. He hasn't responded or asked questions about any advice given, and hasn't even shown interest in them, he's doing the same he would have if he didn't post here.