First Rig built. Feedback plz

ArmyVet88

Feb 13, 2013
Hey everyone, just wanted to give a little bit of background. I am a 2x Vet of Afghanistan, Paratrooper who got out in 2010. I went back into construction where i realized i do not like what i am doing. For some unknown reason i started teaching myself about computers and the hardware. I am soon to be starting school to get my A.S in Computer Engineering Science. My new found love for everything PC has allowed me to build my first gaming rig. Just looking for some feedback, thanks for your time.

Case: Apevia X-Trooper LED Light Mid-Tower Case
CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz (No OC yet stock fan)
MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970
Memory: 8GB 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3/1600MHz
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Fans: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator/Fan Dual Standard 120MM Fans Push-Pull
MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre E246W-1080P

Please do not troll to hard hahah :biggrin:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That build would do for a lighter, not too demanding gaming setup. It needs a more CPU and graphics power if you want to run games at higher settings.

Last edited:

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Army vet,

Welcome and thank you for your service. Have you purchased these parts already or are you shopping around? If shopping, what's your budget?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
The OP was pretty much past tense, so I assume he's already built it. Without knowing the price paid for each component, I can't really comment on how cost-effective the build is. I'm pretty sure that the money spent on a the liquid cooler would have been better spent getting a faster CPU in the first place though.

ArmyVet88

Feb 13, 2013
Yea everything is all installed. I was planning on upping my PSU, i have a Corsair CX430 currently but i was told i should upgrade if i plan on Overclocking (I do eventually). So i ordered a 600W Corsair CX. Just waiting on the PSU to arrive then ill be able to run first boot. Thanks for all the responses guys. I understand that i might have spent and did things a little differently. I literally woke up one day and was like i love computers, i can do this and started from that. About 2 months worth of gathering my components. All in all my Motherboard (from my research) is pretty decent, i can do tons of upgrading when it comes to my video card, and it can hold 32gb Ram. Getting the liquid cooling now was my main concern. In truth i plan on really messing with processor( why i got a low level processor). After that and if i feel i need more i felt i gave myself enough decent components where i could upgrade with no issues. That is my plan in a nutshell haha