First retail 6870 photo; now includes full Chinese leaks and Guru3D review discussion

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
This is the original source right? http://translate.googleusercontent.c...ADO9wNWb-3a-WQ __________________

nop

Those annoying emoticons.
em207.gif

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
20% faster than a GTX 460 is GTX470 performance right there for the 6870, that is going to be my next card if the price is right and its quiet.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
20% faster than a GTX 460 is GTX470 performance right there for the 6870, that is going to be my next card if the price is right and its quiet.

I'm guessing $199 and $249 for 6850 and 6870 respectively, based on what I've seen with prices online so far at krex and excalibur (which removed itself earlier) and futurepc and nextdaypc.

Last edited:

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Last edited:

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Damn they can't talk about performance and price yet. Can't wait to read Anand's review.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I now offer the first 100% factual fact about the 6xxx series. The 6870 is longer than the 6850. You read it here first, folks!

It's almost as if my neurons are magnetic. :hmm:

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I now offer the first 100% factual fact about the 6xxx series. The 6870 is longer than the 6850. You read it here first, folks!

It's almost as if my neurons are magnetic. :hmm:

Do you have anything better do to than to threadcrap? We've known a number of facts about the series already, including its name, photos, UVD3, HD3D, twin mini-DP connectors offering 4+ screens EyeFinity, etc. and AMD's David Hoff talked about the HD6xxx high-end rollout by Christmas and hinted about a revised architecture, plus AMD's CEO talked about the rollout this week. Also, not all cards will be reference at launch this time, and yes we saw photos of those XFX and MSI cards and even a Sapphire mixed in.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
I'd hardly call that thread capping...he was just making an amusing comment.
Bottom line on the VR Zone benchmarks(I'm a long time member).
The new Barts 6850 and 6870 easily defeat GTX460 in single card and dual card combat.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I'd hardly call that thread capping...he was just making an amusing comment.
Bottom line on the VR Zone benchmarks(I'm a long time member).
The new Barts 6850 and 6870 easily defeat GTX460 in single card and dual card combat.

Yeah okay maybe I was a bit triggerhappy in calling it threadcrapping but I've seen some, shall we say *biased*, people in the past attempt to spread FUD about HD6xxx. Even now you will see some people on other boards say stuff about how Oct. 22 is not a hard launch and the hard launch will be in November or December, and they end everything with some garbage about how nothing is fact yet, we don't know yet, yadda yadda.

I thought HD 6850s would edge GTX460-1GBs and that HD 6870s would go toe-to-toe with GTX470s, but if these numbers are legit and are representative... note VR Zone did caution that we don't know what DX9 performance is like yet. I still think DX9 is important, especially since I play some DX9 games at EyeFinity resolutions.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah okay maybe I was a bit triggerhappy in calling it threadcrapping but I've seen some, shall we say *biased*, people in the past attempt to spread FUD about HD6xxx. Even now you will see some people on other boards say stuff about how Oct. 22 is not a hard launch and the hard launch will be in November or December, and they end everything with some garbage about how nothing is fact yet, we don't know yet, yadda yadda.

I thought HD 6850s would edge GTX460-1GBs and that HD 6870s would go toe-to-toe with GTX470s, but if these numbers are legit and are representative... note VR Zone did caution that we don't know what DX9 performance is like yet. I still think DX9 is important, especially since I play some DX9 games at EyeFinity resolutions.

It wasn't a thread crap, just an observation and a jab about the vast amounts of conflicting information that has surrounded this product since launch...and for once we've got something that's both totally concrete and obvious. :)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I don't want to read through the pages I haven't read yet. Can someone point me to the latest rumors on pricing? :)

May 13, 2009
I expect pricing to be absurd just like the current AMD cards. I don't get why everyone believes AMD is their buddy and is gonna cut them a great deal on the latest tech. AMD has had every opportunity to lower prices on the 5XXX series but they cost more than they did when they launched last year. Ya'll really believe their gonna sell the 6XXX series cheap?

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
I expect pricing to be absurd just like the current AMD cards. I don't get why everyone believes AMD is their buddy and is gonna cut them a great deal on the latest tech. AMD has had every opportunity to lower prices on the 5XXX series but they cost more than they did when they launched last year. Ya'll really believe their gonna sell the 6XXX series cheap?

We're hoping AMD uses this oppertunity to chew up overall market share from Nvidia. There have been supply constraints from TSMC that drove up prices of the HD 5000 series.

Right now AMD & AIBs should have been stocking piling HD 6000 series cards for a few months now for a large release now that TSMC should have sorted their issues out.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

Prices have fallen below launch prices for five-series cards for a while now.

AIBs raised the prices, not AMD (except for a period where the MSRP of HD5850s went up by $20 before dropping back down). TSMC screwed AMD on 40nm allocation and NV on crappy 40nm process that helped sink Fermi.

A lot of people are expecting $199/249 pricing, and the KREX, ExcaliburPC, FuturePowerPC, NextDayPC leaks on pricing look to confirm that (figuring a bit of price gouging).

We don't know what performance we'll get yet so it's premature to trash AMD on price/perf. I would have settled for ~GTX460-1GB performance for $170-180, but it looks like ~HD5850 performance for $199 instead. It's disappointing AMD looks like it won't try to start a price war, kudos to NV for its insanely-priced GTX460-768MB though.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009

If these new cards are "better" at a similar price than the recently released GTX460 then its a success....simple as that.GTX460 is a very good card.
Best of Class is a desirable place for any business and doesn't come cheap.
I think AMD will be well pleased to have its new range take top honors in each market slot.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Legit Reviews gives the reference cards a once-over and talks about the new Mecha Rampage demo

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1444/1/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1444/1/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1444/3/ <-- longer youtube video here but with guy's head in the way
http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Reveals-Radeon-HD-6800-Series-Demos-Llano-and-Mecha-Rampage/ <-- shorter youtube here but no guy's head in the way

Bullet Physics in that demo...incomming shift on the stance on GPU physics detected...:D