First my car, now my house

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 23, 2000
15,511
1
81
Originally posted by: Chaoticpenguin666
Originally posted by: ktehmok
Glad to hear you, your brother & mom are OK.

Even if you did have insurance, it would be weeks or months before you saw help from that. I hope something comes up sooner to keep you afloat. If you were in Albuquerque I could pull some strings or something to possibly get you a job if you needed it.

m0mentary & jpeyton, reading comprehension is golden. He said they "have" less than $200. Not that their income is $200.

Well, I do live in Aztec New Mexico and possible will have to move to Farmington. Not entirely sure what my living situation will be within the next few months. I am currently looking for a job that will fit around my schedule so if you know of anyone within my area, it would help me out immensely.

Thanks to everyone and their comments.

Your situation sucks and I'm sorry your home is ruined, but in desperate times, which this seems it is, your attitude that is bolded needs to change. If your family couldn't afford insurance on a 32 year old trailer, and you are just now looking for work that will fit around your schedule, you need to step back and do some serious re-evaluating of your priorities.
When I was in school, a job, source of income was priority #1, then school. It's a crap situation but when you are just making it or as it seems in your family's case, not making it, you need to change. Many, Many people work full time and go to college.

 

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
3,475
0
76
Keep your chin up and keep truckin!

Totally sucks :( ... thank goodness you and your family are ok though.
 

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
2,806
2
81
I'm sorry OP. I really am. I want to help you guys. The situation you are in is just unbearable and the fact that you are able to work with it thus far has been good, but like the one poster said, you need to concentrate on getting your family's well being back into an A+ situation.

If there is anything we as ATOT can do, tell us. I would gladly like to help you out.
 

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
5,320
6
0
Originally posted by: mrrman
Originally posted by: JLee
Sorry to hear that.. :(

maybe take the 666 off your name

Yeah I'm thinking Id rather be on Gods side about now instead of the Devils :beer:

Sorry to hear about this though man. Thats gotta be rough to go through. It's good to know that people care though and are out there to help others. And It's good to see that you are going to college though and making something really good of your life.
 

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
3,554
504
126
Originally posted by: moshquerade
first, glad you are and yours are OK.

but i have to ask about the creosote in the chimney. could it not be cleaned? that sounds like it was asking for a chimney fire. :(

I cleaned the creosote about two weeks prior to the fire. It builds fast and it takes a while to clean since I do it myself. There might have been some residual creosote or just some that I missed. Either way, the fire department said that it was an electrical fire, but I cannot imagine that the creosote catching on fire (if it did) helped any.

Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Your situation sucks and I'm sorry your home is ruined, but in desperate times, which this seems it is, your attitude that is bolded needs to change. If your family couldn't afford insurance on a 32 year old trailer, and you are just now looking for work that will fit around your schedule, you need to step back and do some serious re-evaluating of your priorities.
When I was in school, a job, source of income was priority #1, then school. It's a crap situation but when you are just making it or as it seems in your family's case, not making it, you need to change. Many, Many people work full time and go to college.

I have my priorities straight. I am going to college on a full scholarship - completely paid for by Grade Court. If I drop out or let my GPA fall below a 2.0, I lose the scholarship. As you can probably tell from one of my other posts, my family is by no means, rich, or well-off. If I do not continue college this semester, I don't go to college at all.

As it stands, my scholarship benefactor gave me an additional $1,000 scholarship based on passed events and even because of this one. He told me himself that he gave me this scholarship (which he rarely does) because he did not want to see a bright student have to give it all up because of something unexpected. So at the moment, I am doing fine with the money. Living arrangements and what was lost in the fire is another story.

Originally posted by: v1001

maybe take the 666 off your name

Yeah I'm thinking Id rather be on Gods side about now instead of the Devils :beer:

Sorry to hear about this though man. Thats gotta be rough to go through. It's good to know that people care though and are out there to help others. And It's good to see that you are going to college though and making something really good of your life.

For the record, I am an Atheist. I know what those numbers mean, but to me, it has a double meaning.

And thanks again for the comments.

I just heard from my brother that with my parent's credit rating, we can get a brand new double-wide trailer with no money down as long as we put the land up as collateral. But with the recent snow - 1 foot in town and 3 where I live with a total of 4½ feet in my front yard - they cannot get the destroyed trailer out and/or a new one in until March. That is only if the snow melts in time.
 

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
3,400
1
71
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: Chaoticpenguin666
Well, I do live in Aztec New Mexico and possible will have to move to Farmington. Not entirely sure what my living situation will be within the next few months. I am currently looking for a job that will fit around my schedule so if you know of anyone within my area, it would help me out immensely.

Thanks to everyone and their comments.
Your situation sucks and I'm sorry your home is ruined, but in desperate times, which this seems it is, your attitude that is bolded needs to change. If your family couldn't afford insurance on a 32 year old trailer, and you are just now looking for work that will fit around your schedule, you need to step back and do some serious re-evaluating of your priorities.
When I was in school, a job, source of income was priority #1, then school. It's a crap situation but when you are just making it or as it seems in your family's case, not making it, you need to change. Many, Many people work full time and go to college.

School should always be the first priority.
 

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
6,433
0
71
Originally posted by: Number1
Originally posted by: mugs
Did you have insurance?

Did you read the OP? They did not have insurance because the trailer was 32 years old.

Even though the trailer was 32 years old, the contents were probably made more recently. Not having insurance is foolish, as the OP has now found out.

In fact, since this was a TRAILER, the premiums couldn't have been that high.... I know money may have been a little tight, but really...

Sorry for your loss, OP. I know I probably sound like an asshat above, and I'm not trying to kick you while you are down, but it may help someone else avoid this issue in the future.

Good luck trying to get back to some sense of normalcy again.
 

Sasiki

Senior member
Oct 18, 2004
589
0
0
Sorry to hear about the material possessions that were lost. However, on the bright side of things, the only irreplaceables were spared. You and yours.