First my car, now my house

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Back on November 19th, my car was broken into. They stole my headphones, jacket, MP3 Player, Thumb Drive (which contained my finals for my Hnrs English 111 class), some spare change, and my backpack which held everything I had for college.

I recovered from that event and came out with a 3.75 GPA.

Well, two nights ago, I stayed up a bit doing some last-minute modifications to my Hrns English 211 class essay. After that, I watched the last part of South Park while I filled my wood-burning stove for the night since it usually gets around 5°F out here at night.

As usual, a bit of smoke from the stove was in my living room so I opened the front door to get some of it out. Once I set the stove for the night, I went off to bed. Well, after about ten minutes, I kept hearing some creosote fall from my chimney, which isn't unusual. Over the next two minutes, it kept getting louder and less "creosote sounding." I then heard my cats start running around the house frantically.

I got up to see what was going on only to find my roof on fire. After I got my mom up and out of the house, I ran back in to try and put it out. I was successful in putting the fire out that I could see, but I could see that the fire had spread throughout my entire house in the roof. At that point, I started moving everything I could, outside.

The fire department got to my house about 15 minutes after I had called them.

Around 1 AM, the fire was out. Thirty minutes later, the fire department was gone. Me, my brother, and my mom went back inside to see what we could salvage. Needless to say, not much was worth trying to extract from my home.

Yesterday, I spent the entire day from 6AM till 9PM at college, the Red Cross, and numerous other organizations that might be able to help me out with this - seeing as how myself and my family combined have less than $200.

Currently, I am staying at my friend's house trying to piece together what's left.

Well, not much else to say as there is nothing else to say. We didn't have any insurance because the trailer was 32 years old and we couldn't afford it, so we are kind of screwed here at the moment.

Discuss if you wish, I will try to post again tomorrow after I learn something else on the matter and after I go back to get some more things out.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Wow, that's horrible. I'm glad you and your family aren't hurt though. If it wasn't for your cat it could have been much worse. I hope y'all are able to get back on your feet soon.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That totally sucks ... glad to hear nobody got hurt though because no matter how bad you feel right now you can always get more stuff.

Hang in there!

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Glad you got out ok. Im sorry for your loss but combined family income of less than $200????

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: m0mentary
Glad you got out ok. Im sorry for your loss but combined family income of less than $200????
He should apply for welfare if it's that low.

Make a tape for Extreme Home Makeover, telling them you sob story. Might get you a free house!

ktehmok

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2001
Glad to hear you, your brother & mom are OK.

Even if you did have insurance, it would be weeks or months before you saw help from that. I hope something comes up sooner to keep you afloat. If you were in Albuquerque I could pull some strings or something to possibly get you a job if you needed it.

m0mentary & jpeyton, reading comprehension is golden. He said they "have" less than $200. Not that their income is $200.

ktehmok

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Make a tape for Extreme Home Makeover, telling them you sob story. Might get you a free house!

How ironic. My company just got done doing an Extreme Home Makeover set of houses in New Mexico 2 weeks ago. Our 3rd for that show.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: ktehmok

Even if you did have insurance, it would be weeks or months before you saw help from that. I hope something comes up sooner to keep you afloat. If you were in Albuquerque I could pull some strings or something to possibly get you a job if you needed it.

m0mentary & jpeyton, reading comprehension is golden. He said they "have" less than $200. Not that their income is $200.

I must have missed that, terrible reading comprehension FTL. As for OP, try your hardest to keep up with your studies. I know during emergencies and situations like this it sometimes seems overwhelming and much easier to have an excuse not to do the work.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Originally posted by: ktehmok

Well, I do live in Aztec New Mexico and possible will have to move to Farmington. Not entirely sure what my living situation will be within the next few months. I am currently looking for a job that will fit around my schedule so if you know of anyone within my area, it would help me out immensely.

Thanks to everyone and their comments.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

He could try it, but sadly he'd probably need a better sob story than that. ABC seems to like run down houses filled with orphan war refugees owned by a cancer survivor or something similar :(

Jeeper94

Mar 6, 2005
Wow..... I'm glad you and your family made it out of the house unscathed. Keep your chin up, an experience such as this will make you that much more of a stronger person.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
That sucks, but at least you are alive.

Originally posted by: ultimatebob

He could try it, but sadly he'd probably need a better sob story than that. ABC seems to like run down houses filled with orphan war refugees owned by a cancer survivor or something similar :(

I always womdered who paid the taxes on those house.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Sorry to hear that, but at least you and your family are ok.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I'm not sure why no one else has brought this up before, but the whole concept of leaving a stove (wood burning or otherwise) on overnight or unsupervised was one of the first big no nos I was never taught.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation though.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Originally posted by: RyanSengara
I'm not sure why no one else has brought this up before, but the whole concept of leaving a stove (wood burning or otherwise) on overnight or unsupervised was one of the first big no nos I was never taught.

We don't have any other way of keeping the house warm at night other than leaving the stove burning all night long. Myself and my parents can get under the blankets and such, but our animals have to suffer through it.

Anyways. The Red Cross has given us some information and some vouchers for furniture, appliances, clothes, etc. when we get a new place to live. They also are either paying the first month's rent for an apartment, or they will put $500-600 down for a new trailer.

As for college, I have contacted all but one of my professors and they have all agreed to help me out by giving me some extra time to make up the assignments; along with giving me some extra work (extra credit) to help catch my grade back up.

Also, some friends of mine Online have given me some extra resources and information that they could dig up to try and help me out.

I find it odd that the people I know Online have helped me better than the people I know in real life. My friend is letting me stay at his place for a while, but he never offered. I had to ask him if I could.

Well, I really appreciate all of the comments I have received from all of you. I think I can pull through this one, but it won't be easy.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
first, glad you are and yours are OK.

but i have to ask about the creosote in the chimney. could it not be cleaned? that sounds like it was asking for a chimney fire. :(

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: RyanSengara

I leave a stove on overnight whenever I make stock.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Ry:Sengara

:confused: Tell that to all the people who heat with wood! wtf they supposed to freeze all night? Wood buring stoves are rated for 24hour a day usage. The real problem was most likely not cleaning the chimney.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs
Did you have insurance?

Did you read the OP? They did not have insurance because the trailer was 32 years old.