First "Lady" on Tape: "Who Gives a Fuck About Christmas Stuff?"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I mean, it's just reminded me all that exhausting family Christmas crap is coming up again soon. Only this year with the added stress of social distancing and everyone in the family facing imminently losing their jobs.

Hey now they stick to real important stuff like suit color and type of mustard.

• Haha
Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009
What's the attitude to religion in Slovenia? It occurred to me that maybe Melania is just being "European" in having an non-reverential attitude to Christmas. But then I have no idea what attitudes are like in Slovenia. It's a more religious culture than the UK, I think, but it also had a long period of communism and official atheism, so I don't know.

As far as I'm concerned "Christmas" has never had anything much to do with religion (the name is just a historical accident). The purpose of it has probably remained the same since it was that Pagan festival the early Christian church hijacked - a feast and celebration to make the dark Northern hemisphere winters more bearable. Whenever a religion arrives on the scene it likes to appropriate existing festivals and mystical practices, as it makes it easier for the locals to accept the new ruling class ideology. In practice though it seems all it does is add a load of more things to get stressed about.

But it seems to me there's also a class-based difference. Working class people are more prone to sentimentality and to want to make Christmas special 'for the children'. Middle and upper-class people (whether of liberal or libertarian variety) tend to be more scornful and callous about it. Melania might just be being true to an elite background.

Seems as if in the US there's a tacit agreement to pay lip-service to it being a sacred thing. All cultures have their norms that mean they agree to pretend certain things are other than what they are, I guess (see also the Surpreme Court, the Founding Fathers and the Constitution...or over here, the Royal family)

The Christmas we celebrate has very little to do with religion.
The community and celebration of the birth of Jesus does. This part is lost in decorations.

She has a point but as said earlier it is literally her job since her husband became President.
If it is too much to handle delegate the job to someone else.
Howard Stern described her as a pleasant woman who wants to be left alone and not be bothered by anything. While he doesn’t like the Trump Presidency he said he liked being around Melania because neither of them like to talk and he was very comfortable sitting in a room with her not talking while they both read something.
Without knowing her that sounds like a pretty accurate description of what we see happening here.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Holy shit if Michelle obama got caught saying anything even half as bad as this it would be the storyline for a week. By the end of it the entire Republican base would be convinced she was a Muslim anti Christian terrorist that helped train the 9/11 terrorists herself. Personally

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I find it weird and funny how all these people are such giant liars and scumbags that they are constantly secretly recording each other.

Reactions: Zorba
Feb 4, 2009
I find it weird and funny how all these people are such giant liars and scumbags that they are constantly secretly recording each other.

exactly the thought I had when I read the story.
I am a former telecom guy and I have no fucking idea how to record a call to or from a mobile phone. They needed to look up or consult someone who knows how to do it, order equipment to do it, maintain and use said equipment. Mind boggling they feel and many appear to go thru the hassle.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I really don’t care about Christmas, do you?
I think a, "we got enough stuff stocked up to make it through the winter" party is something everyone can agree upon. Oh, yea, they figured out that one, a long, long, long, time ago, before scrolls ;) .

Reactions: pmv

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The reality is that it is all based on a fable, just like Easter, and Halloween. The similarities... freebee's, gifts, chocolate eggs, and candy.
What is a culture without fables, storytelling and traditions? I quite enjoy the festivities and decor that tend to accompany holidays.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
And about reporters asking her about kids separated at border? "Give me a fucking break."

Imagine that? Someone cynical enough to marry Donald Trump turning out to be ugly person too.
There was a time in this country's history when people wanted to come here and would marry any fucking scumbag to obtain permanent status and a path to citizenship. The costs are high, and she had to fuck a fat fuck, but she didn't get deported. Whores will basically fuck anything if the price is right.

Wonder how she views those decisions now.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Does profanity in thread title rule not apply to direct quotes? Asking for a friend...

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Who gives a fuck about a euro whore or what she thinks?

On to the next one.