First Impressions of Counter Strike 1.0

Akaz1976

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I havent played yet but i am under the impression that there is no change in game play (new weapons seem to be mostly cosmetic)

eye candy has been enhanced significantly!

No new on how map changes play out.

What do u guys think?

Akaz

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I think it sucks. I could add a few vulgarities, but I think I've summed it up.

My comments:
1) cs_office blows now (they messed up all the entrances and merely made it 'prettier')
2) New weapons are alright, but I think overall the majority of the weapons got nerfed quite a bit
3) The eye candy would be nice if only it didn't slow me down from 70fps to 30.
4) Some of the minor changes are rather annoying (e.g. showing the full name of the AK-47 in the buying screen)

If any CS designers are listening: FIX the old problems FIRST (yes, there are a lot, if you don't believe me, stop looking up your rear end), stop making stuff look nicer to cater to newbies if it's going to mess up everyone who's already been playing, THEN if you want to screw things up, make a separate version which is fully compatible with the latest good version (e.g. 7.1)

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Wow I didn't even realize it was out. Does it come with HL or by itself?

SilentBoB

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999

<< The eye candy would be nice if only it didn't slow me down from 70fps to 30. >>

I am on a K6-2 350 Mhz and Voodoo 3 3000 AGP video card. Do you think my machine can run it? I have been playing the beta just fine for a long time and there has never been slide shows or anything.

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
I really hated cs_office in the beginning--so did everyone else. But after playing 2 rounds of it and getting used to it--I like it a little more. But not as much as the old one. Don't like how the new models seem to walk like constipated old men. Went from 70fps to 40fps as well--but still playable so I guess I don't mind too much. But many others were really b!tching about how unplayable it became for them.

Like the new guns but mp5 still my favorite.

Overall(so far): They could've made it more gamer friendly instead of commercial friendly.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< Do you think my machine can run it? >>

I can't say anything definatively, but if it runs it well with 7.1, it'll run it alright with 1.0. I'm using a Pentium III 650 and Voodoo Banshee (old, but still effective).

As far as cs_office goes, I played a few rounds as T and had no freaking idea where the CTs were coming from. I'd be defending one direction assuming they'd be heading in that way, and somehow (maybe my team sucked, maybe it was the map changes) they always managed to kill me from behind.

I agree that the motive behind this seems to be to show more eye-candy and pretty realistic pictures to make it more commercial friendly. My opinion always has been that games which try to use technological advances primarily rather than focusing on gameplay generally get the shaft. I'd really hate to see this game turn out the same, I was starting to like it :(

Oh, one more note: I thought I had enough trouble telling CTs from Ts as a newbie, I'm having it worse now. /me sighs

Akaz1976

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
okay i also was upset with the office map at first (i was playing CT). all my entrances into the buildings seemd to be closed and every time the Ts would come after while and shoot me in the 'back'. the reason i discovered was that instead of having CTs attack from the front side only, now CTs can attack from front and behind. but as a cost they have reduced the entrances from the front.

so in the chaos under which every one was learning the map. its seemed taht ever one was getting shot in the back as one team or the other managed to break thru on one side of the attach and get behind the enemy (much like the pordigy).

eye candy is improve (tho animations arnt as good as every one was saying) and green clothed CT for sure is the same model that was in some of the TF2 movies that were released.

Akaz

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I just bought Half-Life last week, mainly to play online. I've played Team Fortress and Counterstrike, and like TF much more. I guess it's because I'm a newbie or whatever, but I can't learn the darn maps before getting killed and having to wait until the next game. It sucks. On TF, I can just run around and blow things up. Much funner, for me at least.

GoofusMaximus

May 22, 2000
To be fair, the player models are crouching to present a smaller target, just like in real life. The skin on the L337 crew is lousy, as well as the VIP. Aside from that and the new weapons, I think it's ok. It just takes a while to grow on one (like moss)

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I tried it and i was not impressed.

After playing Rogue Spear Urban ops for a while now,trying out that game was like going from Quake3 to Quake1. :(

I guess RS spoiled me for realism &amp; true to life weapons &amp; teamwork.

I just see it as a RS wannabe.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
has anyone ever played messiah? the characters in cs totally remind me of the ones in messiah. they both have that &quot;gooey-ness&quot; look to em.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
After playing 1.0 for a while now, I'm starting to like it. It helps that I was really in the zone tonight, several maps I ended up with scores like 20/2. :D

Akaz1976

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
anyelse played both Rogue Spear and Counter Strike? i would be interested in hearing there views?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I haven't played Rogue Spear much recently, but I did a lot about a year ago, and a few days about a month ago.

My views are as follows:

UT (or Q3, if you swing that way), Counter-strike, and Rogue Spear are all on a sliding scale of realism and action. UT has the maximum amount of actions of the three, but lowest realism. Rogue Spear has the highest realism but action is very slow at times. Counterstrike, IMHO, combines the best of both worlds: rather good realism in damage and weaponry, but still the ability to have the game somewhat action-packed. For those who prefer more of one or the other, UT or RS is more fun for them. In my opinion, all 3 are great games, and which one you should play only depends on what you want in a game.