First earthlike planet confirmed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
It's a rock and we're excited? Stupidity.

I'll be happy when something earthlike is actually discovered.

I don't think that it is stupid. It is a verification that we now have the capabity to discover extrasolar rocky planets and gain some basic informaiton about them. Without this, we will not be able to discover anything earthlike out there. Hopefully that discovery isn't far off.

I appreciate the discovery. I don?t appreciate the use of the term earthlike by those who have presented the discovery. A case of shooting the messenger for painting a false picture via a single word.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Would the real knowledge that we are alone in the universe in having consciousness make any difference in how you see things?

Such knowledge is impossible.

We cannot know that we are alone until we've reached the furthest edges of all that we have seen. Even then, it would merely be an assumption that all we can see is the limit of habitable space. There may be things beyond our sight, let alone beyond our reach. We will NEVER know that we are alone.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: totalnoob
Thats a pretty big assumption techboy.. There is no reason to assume earth is "unique". I don't think you realize how farking huge the universe is and what an insignificant speck our galaxy (let alone our solar system) is in the grand scheme of things. This should start to give you perspective..

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6254/353424.jpg

I never really thought that way until recently, but there are sooooo many factors that make the earth "unique" that it's not an assumption at all. I highly recommend watching a movie called "the priveledged planet".

Basically, the earth being in the "goldilocks" zone to provide the current temperature is just one in about a trillion factors that makes life possible here.

Like I said, the likelihood of finding other "earth" like planets is high. I firmly believe that here is other intelligent life, possibly on planets we could survive on. Waking up and looking around and not realizing you are not on earth? not a chance.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Actually it's the first rocky planet confirmed. Calling it "earthlike" really isn't the truth since there's no chance of it harboring life and the scientists claim that it doesn't even have any water.

From the article:

"Scientists have discovered the first confirmed Earthlike planet outside our solar system, they announced Wednesday.

An artist's impression shows what the planet may look like in close orbit with its sun.
"This is the first confirmed rocky planet in another system," astronomer Artie Hatzes told CNN, contrasting the solid planet with gaseous ones like Jupiter and Saturn.

But "Earthlike" is a relative term.

The planet's composition may be similar to that of Earth, but its environment is more like a vision of hell, the project's lead astronomer said."

Planets are classified as rocky and gaseous and earth is in the rocky category. That is why this discovery is earthlike so it is the truth, but relative as the article points out.
Yes. It's about as "Earthlike" as Mercury. In fact, "Mercurylike" would have been a much better description since there are far more similarities between the two; unless the Earth you live on orbits @ 2 million miles from the sun, is tidally locked, and is molten on one side and freezing ass cold on the other.

The Earthlike planets are Mercury Venus Earth and Mars, Earthlike, as explained in the article because they are rocky and not gaseous as is the new discovery in question:

Terrestrial planet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The inner planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars, their sizes to scale.A terrestrial planet, telluric planet, rocky planet or inner planet is a planet that is primarily composed of silicate rocks. Within the solar system, the terrestrial planets are the closest planets to the Sun. The terms are derived from Latin words for Earth (Terra and Tellus), and an alternative definition would be that these are planets which are, in some notable fashion, "Earth-like".

Terrestrial planets are substantially different from gas giants, which might not have solid surfaces and are composed mostly of some combination of hydrogen, helium, and water existing in various physical states.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Would the real knowledge that we are alone in the universe in having consciousness make any difference in how you see things?

Such knowledge is impossible.

We cannot know that we are alone until we've reached the furthest edges of all that we have seen. Even then, it would merely be an assumption that all we can see is the limit of habitable space. There may be things beyond our sight, let alone beyond our reach. We will NEVER know that we are alone.

Rubbish. You know nothing of the possible evolution of consciousness up the seven harmonic divisions, the shocks that are required along the way, or the knowledge possible at each stage. You also can't imagine what is possible for a stage 4 civilization. And you know nothing that is known to whales who arrived at self awareness millions and millions of years before apes appeared on the earth.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/s...9/16/new.rocky.planet/[L=Link]

I wonder if it will slowly draw away from the star like earth is from our sun.

Evidence mounts that we may not be alone, but still we just might be.

Earth like??? Orbit in the liquid water life zone? Large enough to hold an atmosphere and generate a planet protecting magnetic field? Have outer giants to sweep the system of planet killing comets? Guess not, just a hot as hell sun skimming rock. Probably spiralling into the sun due to friction and breaking up from tidal forces as most near sun orbits do.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/s...9/16/new.rocky.planet/[L=Link]

I wonder if it will slowly draw away from the star like earth is from our sun.

Evidence mounts that we may not be alone, but still we just might be.

Earth like??? Orbit in the liquid water life zone? Large enough to hold an atmosphere and generate a planet protecting magnetic field? Have outer giants to sweep the system of planet killing comets? Guess not, just a hot as hell sun skimming rock. Probably spiralling into the sun due to friction and breaking up from tidal forces as most near sun orbits do.

Another idiot makes the scene.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Astronomy Magazine:

September 16, 2009
The confirmation of the nature of CoRoT-7b as the first rocky planet outside our solar system marks a significant step forward in the search for earth-like exoplanets. The detection by CoRoT (Convection ROtation and planetary Transits) and follow-up radial velocity measurements with the High Accuracy Radial Velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) suggest that this exoplanet, CoRoT-7b, has a density similar to that of Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Earth making it only the fifth known terrestrial planet in the universe.

---------

Those bastards also seem determined to call rocky planets earth-like. Don't they know that earth like means the planet has to have people? No God damned science magazine is going to tell me what earth-like means.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Rubbish. You know nothing of the possible evolution of consciousness up the seven harmonic divisions, the shocks that are required along the way, or the knowledge possible at each stage. You also can't imagine what is possible for a stage 4 civilization. And you know nothing that is known to whales who arrived at self awareness millions and millions of years before apes appeared on the earth.

Call me when the whale mothership arrives.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

We need some transparent aluminum and an old klingon bird of prey...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig

We need some transparent aluminum and an old klingon bird of prey...

You can get the Aluminum here.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It's a rock and we're excited? Stupidity.

I'll be happy when something earthlike is actually discovered.

Yeah so our little happy troup of humans on this earth can attack something new and kill them off, in the name of God... naturally. :thumbsup:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

The planet's composition may be similar to that of Earth, but its environment is more like a vision of hell, the project's lead astronomer said."

We should open a portal to there and see if flying skulls come out.

Sep 12, 2004
The Earthlike planets are Mercury Venus Earth and Mars, Earthlike, as explained in the article because they are rocky and not gaseous as is the new discovery in question:

Terrestrial planet

The inner planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars, their sizes to scale.A terrestrial planet, telluric planet, rocky planet or inner planet is a planet that is primarily composed of silicate rocks. Within the solar system, the terrestrial planets are the closest planets to the Sun. The terms are derived from Latin words for Earth (Terra and Tellus), and an alternative definition would be that these are planets which are, in some notable fashion, "Earth-like".

Terrestrial planets are substantially different from gas giants, which might not have solid surfaces and are composed mostly of some combination of hydrogen, helium, and water existing in various physical states.
I am familiar with the term. I don't agree with its usage as I believe it's misleading. Apparently so do many others in here.

You do understand that, when it comes to scientific terminology, some things aren't etched in stone, Mooney? After all, up until a few years ago Pluto was considered a planet.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Terrestrial planet

I am familiar with the term. I don't agree with its usage as I believe it's misleading. Apparently so do many others in here.

You do understand that, when it comes to scientific terminology, some things aren't etched in stone, Mooney? After all, up until a few years ago Pluto was considered a planet.

Ignorance misleads ignorant people and there is no help for that. Many of the idiots you claim are confused remained so even after I pointed out what earth-like means. They didn't want to learn, they wanted to argue and join some team. People who don't lead with their feelings of inferiority and need to ego dominate would just say, well, I didn't know earth-like in reference to planets meant ones of high density. Nope, when faced with information they didn't have they reacted defensively with a need to defend a position. Them dumb scientists don't know how to use English.

Sep 12, 2004
Ignorance misleads ignorant people and there is no help for that. Many of the idiots you claim are confused remained so even after I pointed out what earth-like means. They didn't want to learn, they wanted to argue and join some team. People who don't lead with their feelings of inferiority and need to ego dominate would just say, well, I didn't know earth-like in reference to planets meant ones of high density. Nope, when faced with information they didn't have they reacted defensively with a need to defend a position. Them dumb scientists don't know how to use English.
Right. Don't question. Just accept what you're fed and get in line. NEVER disagree with what Moonie says because he is the final word, the gospel according to Moonie. All hail his self-righteousness wrapped in psycho-babble.

Ironically enough, Moonie, without realizing it you propound that which is precisely the antithesis of science - to be unquestioning and to never disagree. Anyone who does disagree with you is to be belittled and maligned. It must be that massive load of self-hate that you carry around on your shoulders that compels you to lash out at others like that. It's the only possible explanation.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Right. Don't question. Just accept what you're fed and get in line. NEVER disagree with what Moonie says because he is the final word, the gospel according to Moonie. All hail his self-righteousness wrapped in psycho-babble.

Ironically enough, Moonie, without realizing it you propound that which is precisely the antithesis of science - to be unquestioning and to never disagree. Anyone who does disagree with you is to be belittled and maligned. It must be that massive load of self-hate that you carry around on your shoulders that compels you to lash out at others like that. It's the only possible explanation.

I told you the facts which you, unaware of how inferior you feel, felt was belittling and maligning you and that psychological truth you you also call psychobabble because you feel too inferior to admit how petty you are. But if you want a real example of psychobabble consider the notion that by correcting ignorance I am somehow in your twisted little mind enforcing anti-scientific conformity. What a joke. You are and were inaccurate in your application of your common usage of earth-like to imply the article used it confusingly, when in the article itself it explained exactly how that misconception could occur if the nature of earth-like as other than rocky and dense were to be used. What sort of idiot complains about word usage when the user goes out of his way to clarify exactly how he is using the word.

No, as I knew would happen the moment I challenged your pedantry, I knew also we would be off to the races with your endless attempt to spin your childishness as something other than it is.

You are a butt-head. I know you well. I graduated head of that class and got my Doctorate in Rigorousness, being precisely accurate, logical, intellectually tight, and RIGHT and unafraid to defend it. Bullies like you don't scare me. You are a lot of noise.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Does it have a moon? IF Not Then

no Moon = no Moonbeam
No Moonbeam = planet failboat

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Maybe we can agree on this? When I picture you, I picture something very "moonlike."

It's the result of where you have your head.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Maybe we can agree on this? When I picture you, I picture something very "moonlike."

It's the result of where you have your head.

You two would never get along at that proximity.