First Drive: VW Golf R32

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
An impromptu test session turned in a best 0-to-60 time of about 7 seconds flat, but under ideal conditions, VW claims the R32 can shave another half a second off that time.
haha 6.5 seconds and it costs you $29k, plus you've got the known poor quality of VW (although if this is made in Germany perhaps it could be better). Another 30 horses would make this car much more attractive.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: freegeeks
I'll take one with the HPA motorsport stage 2 turbokit

550bhp
0-60 3,2 sec

HPA motorsport
Looks good, but no mention on the price of the kit (just install). I wonder how long the powertrain would last with twice as much HP going through it :)

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb

550bhp
0-60 3,2 sec

HPA motorsport
Looks good, but no mention on the price of the kit (just install). I wonder how long the powertrain would last with twice as much HP going through it :)

price was around $20k :Q if I remember correctly

the Haldex drivetrain is rated much higher and can handle the power (read that somewhere on vwvortex forums). The HPA motorsport dude posting there said that it was no problem

I'm not an expert so I wouldn't know
:p

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

550bhp
0-60 3,2 sec

HPA motorsport

that's impressive.! I can't think of another force-inducted 6-cylinder can make 500 horses. (of course not including skylines and supras)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i'll take one. im an interior quality type of guy. and no car in its class can match the interior quality of the R32.

it does weigh a lot though. my GTI only weights 2800 lbs

but it looks soooo sweet!! and the sound...:Q:Q

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Aharami
i'll take one. im an interior quality type of guy. and no car in its class can match the interior quality of the R32.

it does weigh a lot though. my GTI only weights 2800 lbs

but it looks soooo sweet!! and the sound...:Q:Q

The interior "quality" is the same as a $18,000 Golf which is the same as an $18,000 Mazda 3s which means that a $28,000 Mazda RX-8 should have an interior of equal or greater quality than both of them. They all trump the 350Z though:p

That being said, $29,000 for a platform that is 7 years old compared to the newer competition out there is just out of the question.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
$18000 is the base GTI i believe. the R32 has some improvements over that (better dash, better sound system, better seats, better sound proofing, etc) I'd say the interior quality of the R32 is the about the same as a $23000 GTI VR6. so i guess you're paying more for the better engine (which doesnt make sense since the R32 is so damn heavy!!)

but looks wise, i think this car is sweeeet. much better than the 350, or evo, or sti. rx8 i pretty sweet lookin though...and g35C beats them all in the looks dept

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
$18000 is the base GTI i believe. the R32 has some improvements over that (better dash, better sound system, better seats, better sound proofing, etc) I'd say the interior quality of the R32 is the about the same as a $23000 GTI VR6. so i guess you're paying more for the better engine (which doesnt make sense since the R32 is so damn heavy!!)

but looks wise, i think this car is sweeeet. much better than the 350, or evo, or sti. rx8 i pretty sweet lookin though...and g35C beats them all in the looks dept

In looks?? It looks like a boring shoebox...and a 7-year old one at that.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Well, it's a limited production model and the US will only see 5000 of them, so that has to be taken into consideration. I also think that the $30k price tag is a bit steep and I'd be in a Titanium Gray RX-8 6sp for $28k myself. But, please don't paint this as a Golf with a big motor. By all accounts I have read, this car is a blast to drive. No it's not the second coming or anything, but it's recording respectable performance numbers at the track and more importantly, it's surely going to make 5000 VW enthusiasts very happy.

Styling is always going to be a matter of taste, but I'd hate to see someone argue that the Evo or STi offer interesting styling. After all, they are just a Lancer and an Impreza.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
sweeet interior! gotta love ze germans for that.

I'd take it over a evo or sti anyday.... though I still want a Z! :)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4

bah. looks a hella lot better than any TOYOTA!!!

thats right, i said TOYOTA! :p

anyways, you and i are worlds apart when it comes to styling preferences...u think toyota makes good looking cars...i think all their cars (except the LS430) look fugly as hell...yahk...makes me wanna throw up whenever i see a SC, camry, or ES driving by

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

anyways, you and i are worlds apart when it comes to styling preferences...u think toyota makes good looking cars...i think all their cars (except the LS430) look fugly as hell...yahk...makes me wanna throw up whenever i see a SC, camry, or ES driving by

I also think that the SC430 and EX330 are ugly as hell. I think that the current Camry is tastefully done. I love the Jetta's design, but I think that the Golf/GTI/R32 look boring as hell b/c they're all so squared off and boxy looking.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Bah, I'd take a Mazda RX8. That R32 is overpriced, overweight and it's a VW. Three strikes and you're OUT!

I guess it makes sense if you are a real big VW fan.....

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
haha. for 30k ill take a cobra. man, i cant believe you guys are bashing on the sc430. that car is gorgeous.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Wow. The writer of that review is an even bigger VW whore than I am.

I could have summed it up in 4 words.

Cool car, cold price.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

I also think that the SC430 and EX330 are ugly as hell. I think that the current Camry is tastefully done. I love the Jetta's design, but I think that the Golf/GTI/R32 look boring as hell b/c they're all so squared off and boxy looking.

how can you like the Jetta but not the Golf? Both are squared off and boxy looking. Only difference is one is a sedan while the other is a hatchback. The design elements are the same.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: maziwanka
haha. for 30k ill take a cobra. man, i cant believe you guys are bashing on the sc430. that car is gorgeous.

you know what car's real UGLY?? a yellow Z06. hehe JK ronnie :p

how's vette doing? u take it out to any tracks yet?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001

i kinda like the boxy design (on some cars)
thats prolly why i think the CTS is a gorgeous car!!
CTS-V?...droooooooooool

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
An impromptu test session turned in a best 0-to-60 time of about 7 seconds flat, but under ideal conditions, VW claims the R32 can shave another half a second off that time.
haha 6.5 seconds and it costs you $29k, plus you've got the known poor quality of VW (although if this is made in Germany perhaps it could be better). Another 30 horses would make this car much more attractive.

heh...your Maxima is just as fast.

But there was a test done in Europe wiht hte R32, STi, and EVO, and hte R32 wasn't that far behind performance wise.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
For 30k I'll take a used C5 Vette.

Just like all the other golfs, it looks like a toaster on wheels. A 3400lbs toaster. Guess all that european quality adds up.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Bah, I'd take a Mazda RX8. That R32 is overpriced, overweight and it's a VW. Three strikes and you're OUT!

I wish the damn things weren't aroound 35K here in Hawaii :(