First Drive: 2004 Honda S2000 [new 2.2 liter engine]

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I have to sit in one to notice if the changes for 04 have been worthwhile. I found the old S2000 to be cramped, even as a Miata owner. In fact, I'd call the Miata spacious by comparison.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I have to sit in one to notice if the changes for 04 have been worthwhile. I found the old S2000 to be cramped, even as a Miata owner. In fact, I'd call the Miata spacious by comparison.

What year Miata do you have? Pics??:p

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Miatas :D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
As long as it retains the push button starter...seriously though, it looks like they made it better in all respects. I want one!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4

Oh come on, Brandon! You knew I had a Miata.

It's a 1992 model with ~30K miles. Bought it in summer 2001 with ~15K miles, in like-new condition. The airbag sensor was replaced at some $150, but otherwise, no problems (knocks on wood). It just always puts a smile on my face, masculine car or not.

PIC of me in my Miata @ Deal's Gap.

Edit: It's a 5-speed of course.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It's a 1992 model with ~30K miles. Bought it in summer 2001 with ~15K miles, in like-new condition. The airbag sensor was replaced at some $150, but otherwise, no problems (knocks on wood). It just always puts a smile on my face, masculine car or not.

I honestly didn't know...or just forgot. I don't really remember what cars members' around here drive besides RossMan's Accord and DoggieDog's MDX.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001

Hehehe.. you wear :Q Driving Gloves??!!!111.....
not that there is anything wrong with that

/runs away :p

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: KGB

Hehehe.. you wear :Q Driving Gloves??!!!111.....
not that there is anything wrong with that

/runs away :p

:Q damn thats hardcore...

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I wear them when I know it's going to be/or want it to be a wild drive. I wore them then, and I wore them when I participated in that Mercedes C-Spot event. So, it's not often.

For those who don't know, The Tail of the Dragon has 318 curves in 11 miles. It's one of the best driving roads in the country.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I honestly didn't know...or just forgot. I don't really remember what cars members' around here drive besides RossMan's Accord and DoggieDog's MDX.

Wow! I'm honored. :)

Sweet car btw GT.

I've never driven a Miata but would love to one day since I love driving manual cars.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
As long as it retains the push button starter...seriously though, it looks like they made it better in all respects. I want one!

have you ever actually USED the push button start?

cool to look at, royal PITA to use

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Doggiedog

Wow! I'm honored. :)

Sweet car btw GT.

I've never driven a Miata but would love to one day since I love driving manual cars.

Pics of your car?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

I LOOOOVEEEE MIATAS!!

I had a ride in a STOCK Miata on regular tires on an auto-x course. WOW!! Best ride of my life (in a car)!! it changed directions so quwickly, I was amazed. And it felt pretty fast too!

I want a Miata!

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Ack, reading this just makes me cringe... not because the S2000 is a bad car... but more because it's just become even more badass.

It's just plain not fair in SCCA competition. The older S2000s had an insane amount of suspension adjustability and were already blazing quick. And being fast on an autocross course means blinding fast during street driving and track driving as well. Now that it has more torque, lower revs, and also lower VTEC engagement along with the same suspension adjustability... that's just WRONG.

But the comment about the Porsche being a great civilized alternative... that is VERY true. Especially if you're not hung up on getting a new Boxster. A used Boxster S can be definitely be found for approximately the same price as a new 2.2L S2000. One of my friends picked up a Boxster base model this spring and I love it's handling... it fells very assuring, almost a tad boring.

I wonder if Honda further stiffened the front swaybar on the S2000. The car is horrendously twitchy at the limit without a GIANT front sway.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: KokomoGST
Ack, reading this just makes me cringe... not because the S2000 is a bad car... but more because it's just become even more badass.

It's just plain not fair in SCCA competition. The older S2000s had an insane amount of suspension adjustability and were already blazing quick. And being fast on an autocross course means blinding fast during street driving and track driving as well. Now that it has more torque, lower revs, and also lower VTEC engagement along with the same suspension adjustability... that's just WRONG.

But the comment about the Porsche being a great civilized alternative... that is VERY true. Especially if you're not hung up on getting a new Boxster. A used Boxster S can be definitely be found for approximately the same price as a new 2.2L S2000. One of my friends picked up a Boxster base model this spring and I love it's handling... it fells very assuring, almost a tad boring.

I wonder if Honda further stiffened the front swaybar on the S2000. The car is horrendously twitchy at the limit without a GIANT front sway.

Get a Caterham Super7 and school the S2000s! :D

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
My Miata drives more like a BMW than any other car I've driven. It's RWD, has 50/50 weight distribution, engine up front but south of the front axle, small front and rear overhangs, disc brakes, etc. Mind you, it is no BMW. No where near as solid or luxurious, but I dare say it's more reliable!

I threw some Boston Acoustics speakers in it, so it doesn't sound too bad either.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
My Miata drives more like a BMW than any other car I've driven. It's RWD, has 50/50 weight distribution, engine up front but south of the front axle, small front and rear overhangs, disc brakes, etc. Mind you, it is no BMW. No where near as solid or luxurious, but I dare say it's more reliable!

I threw some Boston Acoustics speakers in it, so it doesn't sound too bad either.

I'd rahter have a Miata than a BMW. Its much more purer (mind you for pure drivcing pleasure...not as an everyday car)

The Miata is the purest driver's car you can buy today.