First day on my internship

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
first day on the job, went by pretty quick since they got me busy real fast!

My boss asks me. "how much do u know about ada?"

I was like.. whats ada?

ada isn't a very popular language in colleges, infact i have never even heard of it until today.

I spent the day using the data dictinary to create the definition for all these variables.
I had to look at codes thats already been written and work from there.

Long and tedious! i guess i learn something new today.

They never metioned ada when i was interviewed, so they hit me with a suprise.

Why don't they use some of the more popular languages?

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
no wonder i never heard of it before.. They told me that i was going to be doing work with VB.. oh well at least i am working, so can't complain much.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: atom
Ada's not so bad. At least it isn't prolog or TeX........

I'd rather type in TeX than bother with ada. When I learned ada many many years ago, I was under the impression that very few people used it. In fact, it seems that I was taught that it was primarily used by the military. I'm surprised it's still around (this was around 1987. We spent a week or two on it in programming languages class.)

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Kwan1
no wonder i never heard of it before.. They told me that i was going to be doing work with VB.. oh well at least i am working, so can't complain much.

You will probably learn more from learning ADA than you would from working in VB or C.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Isn't Ada the one that the military spent oodles on, but fizzled out in the end because of some stupid flaw in the language?

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: adlep
Ada is an ancient programming language no one uses anymore...

It's still used quite a bit, just obviously by a different audience then you are used to dealing with.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: atom
Ada's not so bad. At least it isn't prolog or TeX........

I'd rather type in TeX than bother with ada. When I learned ada many many years ago, I was under the impression that very few people used it. In fact, it seems that I was taught that it was primarily used by the military. I'm surprised it's still around (this was around 1987. We spent a week or two on it in programming languages class.)

I dunno, Ada is very uncommon to use but it's quite a powerful language and much easier to learn. To me anyways. TeX is the most incomprehensible bullsh!t I've ever had the displeasure of having to use. :p

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Kwan1
It's an embedded language .. mostly for DoD and banks

right on, we are a contractor for the DoD

Oh man, I was totally gonna ask if you were working for the DoD this summer! Imagine bazillions of lines of old code running on ancient machines all over the world in support of the US DoD... and you can't take it down. So, you maintain it.

Have they shown you how to use the punch card machine yet? :D

I remember Ada being a relic programming language that still had to be maintained when I did a couple of summers at Wright Armament Lab... in 1991 and 1992!

Enjoy!

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
I felt so stupid when i was just like "huh? ada?"

since i am only 21, i was barely a teen when this was popular.

They havn't told me how to keep track of my time yet, so nope, no punch card machine YET.

and one more thing, there are no chicks at engineering firms!!:brokenheart: