First called B.1.1.529, was named the Omicron variant of Covid-19

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

A new variant of the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 has been identified in South Africa, with officials there saying it’s highly concerning. The new strain, first called B.1.1.529, was named the Omicron variant by the World Health Organization. Fears that it could fuel outbreaks in many countries and pressure health systems, potentially evading vaccines and complicating efforts to reopen economies and borders sent a wave of risk aversion across global markets Friday. Stock indexes and crude oil tumbled while Treasuries rallied. Governments around the world have started banning travelers from South Africa and nearby countries.

Particularly unnerving is the following.

1. What’s different about this variant?
Scientists say the Omicron variant carries a high number of mutations in its spike protein, which plays a key role in the virus’ entry into cells in the body. It’s also what is targeted by vaccines. Researchers are still trying to determine whether it is more transmissible or more lethal than previous strains.

Many of the country’s 8.2 million HIV-infected people are immuno-compromised and scientists say they can harbor the coronavirus for longer, allowing it to mutate as it reproduces. A study of an HIV positive 36-year-old woman showed that Covid-19 stayed in her body for 216 days and mutated rapidly.

Delta has from my knowledge a level of 10 spike protein mutations, where Omnicron has an excess of 30 something.

Sorry I got paywalled I believe before I could finish copying info.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
Ugh, here we go again... same song and dance, or is it rinse, lather, repeat?

This wave will hit our area probably in January or February and 3-4 months later another variant.

Reactions: Ken g6

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I keep hearing Americans visceral reaction to variants, blaming fellow Americans and our own policies and failures. Yet it is the entire globe on which this beast has hosts to carry it, and no one will reign in the far parts of the world, to control them, to help guide and nurture them. We could cease to exist entirely and COVID will still spread around the globe and mutate. It is truly endemic and will be part of our lives forever.

COVID is the 21st century's flu.

Either by vaccine, by direct contact, or some multiple combination therein, people will suffer it. And someday we will grow to ignore it. Herd immunity is the only solution that exists.

But what of policy to help us weather this storm?
  • Do people advocate for more lockdowns?
  • Masks and social distancing?
  • Stimulus programs to help the afflicted, maybe an expansion of healthcare?
Delta landed in America this year, and we kept lifting our efforts to combat and slow its spread. Cutting our efforts to help the poor. Shall we carry on as we are and trust the current vaccines are enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: blackangst1

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Yet I keep hearing Americans visceral reaction to variants, blaming fellow Americans and our own policies and failures. Yet it is the entire globe on which this beast has hosts to carry it, and no one will reign in the far parts of the world, to control them, to help guide and nurture them. We could cease to exist entirely and COVID will still spread around the globe and mutate. It is truly endemic and will be part of our lives forever.

COVID is the 21st century's flu.

Either by vaccine, by direct contact, or some multiple combination therein, people will suffer it. And someday we will grow to ignore it. Herd immunity is the only solution that exists.

But what of policy to help us weather this storm?
  • Do people advocate for more lockdowns?
  • Masks and social distancing?
  • Stimulus programs to help the afflicted, maybe an expansion of healthcare?
Delta landed in America this year, and we kept lifting our efforts to combat and slow its spread. Cutting our efforts to help the poor. Shall we carry on as we are and trust the current vaccines are enough?
No we shouldn't carry on as we are.
I have been vaccinated, and am positive I have had delta, ONE week after school began it was shut down for another 2 weeks. I had the worst chest cold ever, lasted over a month, Used my son's left over asthma inhaler at times, actually it was closer to 2 months.

I have my grandaughters living with me and my wife, we were both sick and vaccinated. The girls had sickness as well. This WAS NOT FLU.

Masks help, our grandaughters wear mask when they leave the house, no idea what happens in class. Since we are in Trump country.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Mass produce enough vaccine for every single human being on the planet, send it everywhere it is needed. If people choose to not get vaccinated, that's fine.

Get vaccinated if you hilariously already aren't, wear a mask, and let it wash over the country. It could definitely be one relatively peaceful way to Make America Great Again, by allowing the death cultists to self-disenfranchise themselves.

Also all hospital and healthcare systems should be on mass casualty triage with a requirement of a valid vaccine passport to receive any type of healthcare.

Let the problem sort itself out.

It's been 20 months. If you haven't vaccinated yourself yet, you're chosen to fuck around, and I believe wholeheartedly that you deserve the freedom and personal liberty to find right the fuck out.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
People who refuse to take the vaccine are like people who refuse to wear a condom and rely on their pull out skill. I look at them and say, "STDs don't give a shit about your superb pull out game".

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yes. Give in to the hate. Let it fill you up.
So who is your wife fucking this week? Your Trumpism is showing more than usual.
Such an angry little man. I'm guessing you're Chinese and feel the need to defend your country, and this drives you to using grade school insults?
I'm sorry my comment hurt your feelings, but the reality is the rona came from china, either through a lab leak or eating vermin. If you want to pretend it came from Alabama to make yourself feel better I won't argue the point.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Such an angry little man. I'm guessing you're Chinese and feel the need to defend your country, and this drives you to using grade school insults?
I'm sorry my comment hurt your feelings, but the reality is the rona came from china, either through a lab leak or eating vermin. If you want to pretend it came from Alabama to make yourself feel better I won't argue the point.

Would you like countries to start holding 1918 against us?

Reactions: KMFJD and Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
..I'm guessing you're Chinese..

Yes I am. So are you. You'll never realize this fact of course and thus you and kin will keep pooping on everyone else's door steps ... to much delight of the rest of your poop slinging friends.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Mass produce enough vaccine for every single human being on the planet, send it everywhere it is needed.

"We" already produce enough vaccines, but rich countries keep hoarding all vaccines and braking their promises of sharing with those countries that can't make their vacines. To now, just around 20% of the vaccines promised to poor/developing counties where delivered.

There's no global effort to end this.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Come on get the vaccine. You'll still get COVID, and you'll still pass it to others, but not as as bad.

Just do it.

Reactions: Leeea

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
"We" already produce enough vaccines, but rich countries keep hoarding all vaccines and braking their promises of sharing with those countries that can't make their vacines. To now, just around 20% of the vaccines promised to poor/developing counties where delivered.

There's no global effort to end this.

Source?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Come on get the vaccine. You'll still get COVID, and you'll still pass it to others, but not as as bad.

Just do it.
Makes perfect sense to me - it’s incredible how absolutely insane and irrational conservatives in the US have become that this is even a question.

After all the real statement is come get the vaccine. You may still get COVID but it’s much less likely, you may still pass it to others but it’s much less likely, and if you do get it, it will be much less bad.

There is no argument against getting the vaccine that does not require someone to be insane or a moron.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So Fucking what?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yes I am. So are you. You'll never realize this fact of course and thus you and kin will keep pooping on everyone else's door steps ... to much delight of the rest of your poop slinging friends.
So the issue here is my indictment of China for the covid pandemic.
There is a theme here of blaming government for not doing enough to stop the pandemic, some of which I agree with. But why does all responsibility start at the border? Clearly China has some culpability in this. If covid actually came out of a wet market that's unfortunate and the results might be unavoidable. If it came out of a lab that's an entirely different matter. But I think the questions should be asked and answered. I'd like to think steps were being taken to avoid a situation like this in the future. That may be imposable as well, but by refusing to even acknowledge where and how this all started we guarantee that nothing will ever be done to try and mitigate the risk going forward.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
There is a theme here of blaming government for not doing enough to stop the pandemic, some of which I agree with. But why does all responsibility start at the border? Clearly China has some culpability in this. If covid actually came out of a wet market that's unfortunate and the results might be unavoidable. If it came out of a lab that's an entirely different matter. But I think the questions should be asked and answered. I'd like to think steps were being taken to avoid a situation like this in the future. That may be imposable as well, but by refusing to even acknowledge where and how this all started we guarantee that nothing will ever be done to try and mitigate the risk going forward.
It’s China...just give up on wanting answers to questions that they’ll never answer.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I agree with the sentiment but reality is we'll never influence china meaningfully, so Monday morning quarterbacking their response is pissing in the wind. Conservatives will never admit that because they need a bogeyman to blame to deflect their own absolutely pathetic attempts to get anything done even remotely positive in terms of response.

We have plenty of fuckups in our own house to be concerned about and the lab leak vs. Wet market theories are almost certainly bever going to be conclusively demonstrated one way or the other, although my understanding is the preponderance of evidence suggests the wet market theory.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Ch ch ch China virus. Kung Flu. I am sitting here in EU land and looking at you fling that shit well knowing that a percentage of your own country men is of Chinese descend.
You know well that Asian hate crime rocketed under Trump... Why do you think that is?.... Ch ch ch ch China Virus.
Stop assholing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
How open and honest do you think any government that let this happen, would be? Is the world supposed to give them a big bill for the damage? What's the point? Start a war over it. Sure, that will solve our existing problem with worldwide covid.