First called B.1.1.529, was named the Omicron variant of Covid-19

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I waited over 6 months to get vaccinated against Delta . I am not someone that is afraid of Covid
You shouldn't be afraid of it. You're a very strong and tough person.

Please, encourage the rest of your family members to not get vaccinated or booster shots. And to stop wearing your seatbelts, as they are state-mandated restraints on your personal freedom. We'll all appreciate it.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
What does fear have to do with anything? Weird humble brag?
Those that is afraid of Covid, gotten vaccination the second they were eligible. I waited until i decided that it was worth getting it. At this point, i do not see benefit of Booster for that reason i will not be getting it until further notice and possible ever.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Sure that is what government would love me to do but i am done listening to anything government says i should do.
From the CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/data-statistics/plain-water-the-healthier-choice.html

Adults and youth should consume water every day.
  • Daily fluid intake (total water) is defined as the amount of water consumed from foods, plain drinking water, and other beverages. Daily fluid intake recommendations vary by age, sex, pregnancy, and breastfeeding status.6

So you better not be giving in to the government and consuming fluids or you’re just another hypocritical big government liberal.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
From the CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/data-statistics/plain-water-the-healthier-choice.html

Adults and youth should consume water every day.
  • Daily fluid intake (total water) is defined as the amount of water consumed from foods, plain drinking water, and other beverages. Daily fluid intake recommendations vary by age, sex, pregnancy, and breastfeeding status.6

So you better not be giving in to the government and consuming fluids or you’re just another hypocritical big government liberal.
Honestly that is just stupid recommendation but it's called natural need so either one drink something or they will die.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Why not to what part? Why do i not care about protecting those that is not able to get vaccinated? It's simple, it's each person for themselves. Anyone that feels vulnerable should take any and all possible measures to protect themselves. I should not be one responsible for keeping them safe. As for hospitals, there been plenty of times to expand our hospitals capacity, that been complete failure in the last 2 years.

It's funny that you say that people should take any and all possible measures to protect themselves, but then reject the safest and most reasonable measure to project yourself and your family using the incorrect assumption that doing that will only protect others.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
It's funny that you say that people should take any and all possible measures to protect themselves, but then reject the safest and most reasonable measure to project yourself and your family using the incorrect assumption that doing that will only protect others.
I said that feels vulnerable, clearly i am not feeling vulnerable at this time.

• Haha

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I said that feels vulnerable, clearly i am not feeling vulnerable at this time.
Like I said, an incorrect assumption. And one that is causing you to reject the safest and most reasonable measure to protect yourself and your family.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Like I said, an incorrect assumption. And ond that is causing you to reject the safest and most reasonable measure to protect yourself and your family.
Safest and most reasonable measure would be to stop going out, cancel Christmas/ New Year plans etc but i would die from depression way before i will die from Covid. We will all catch it eventually, unfortunately at this point i don't think that can be avoided.

• Haha

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Safest and most reasonable measure would be to stop going out, cancel Christmas/ New Year plans etc but i would die from depression way before i will die from Covid. We will all catch it eventually, unfortunately at this point i don't think that can be avoided.
Fatalism is a pointless argument (pun intended). If that, along with your 'everyone for himself' bit is all you have to argue, then you should expect others to care about you as little as you care about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Would you like countries to start holding 1918 against us?
Greenman is the new nobody's mind, just a clueless ignorant conservative on almost any topic. He just posts less than that moron from Texas.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Those that is afraid of Covid, gotten vaccination the second they were eligible. I waited until i decided that it was worth getting it. At this point, i do not see benefit of Booster for that reason i will not be getting it until further notice and possible ever.
I can't take it anymore... I have went to respond to one of you half of a dozen moronic replies and decided.. NOPE... but you know what, this pushed me over the line.. You are a fucking dumb motherfucker. Getting the vaccine when immediately available was smart, not fear. Only a dumb mother fucker like yourself walks around with his chest pushed out trying to act tough... but in reality you are just acting like a rebellious little bitch thinking you are tough. You are not tough, you are a arrogant pussy trying to act tough. It takes man to do the right thing.. not a fucking little bitch like you!

And some more insight on what your stupidity can bring and I guess a quick update: As it's already known, I lost one brother to COVID, the other one just got out of the Hospital (to soon btw, due to his shitty insurance) after 3 months, with 5 weeks of it on a ventilator. He is on 24/7 oxygen, has therapy 3 to 4 times a week, can barely walk 100 yards without having to stop and rest, and has lost all movement of his left arm. He spends most of his time sleeping.. He has months of rehabilitation ahead of him, and we hope he regains the use of his arm (there where 4 others who also lost their use of one of their arms in the same hospital, what seems to be a side effect of the Delta strain, fucking up nerves).. And I just went to the funeral for a family friend who went into the hospital mid October, and died Nov 1 because of COVID... So you know what, fuck you and your tough guy bullshit!

How about you just go get a fucking revolver and play Russian roulette, because that's exactly what you are doing with your vaccine\vaccine booster bullshit.. you are just not man enough to go for the gun and do it right. I suspect you are also playing Russian Roulette with your family members.. In the end, all you are is a dumb motherfucker who puts stupidity and arrogance, before science and medical knowledge. I just hope that your game of Russian roulette doesn't end badly for you or your family.. I don't wish that on anyone, not even on a dumb motherfucker as yourself...

Edit: so you know, your stupid game of Russian roulette may not end due to contracting COVID or your family contracting COVID, it could be because of all the other dumb motherfuckers with your stupidity who clog up the hospitals, preventing people from getting life saving care, and it could be another emergency situation that may end your life or someone you love.. Your actions are not just limited to COVID 19... But you are to stupid to understand that.. I don't even know why I try, as you have made it clear you only care about yourself where as I care about everyone.

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Why bother spinning wheels with that tool? Just Ignore him and laugh knowing that there is a high risk of him or someone in his family drowning in their own blood or suffering severe organ or brain damage when (not if) covid comes for them and their immunity has waned. Net gain to the gene pool.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weird that you aren't afraid of COVID, but you are afraid of the vaccine, when one is much more dangerous than the other.
I don’t get the sense he is afraid of the vaccine. I mean he already got it and was clearly fine from the experience so any rational person knows there’s nothing to be afraid of.

i think it’s more likely that because he’s very right wing, right wing culture tells him getting vaccinated is bad because it betrays the team. Tribal identity is more important to him than health and safety and while that may seem insane to us, lots of people are just like him.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
But I think the questions should be asked and answered.
It’s China...just give up on wanting answers to questions that they’ll never answer.
I agree with the sentiment but reality is we'll never influence china meaningfully, so Monday morning quarterbacking their response is pissing in the wind. Conservatives will never admit that because they need a bogeyman to blame to deflect their own absolutely pathetic attempts to get anything done even remotely positive in terms of response.
The WHO has already sent teams to Wuhan, trying to determine or trace back to the original source. They didn't discover anything definitive, and do you want to guess how helpful China was in assisting or even answering questions? LOL.
I never signed any agreement with the government when i was born that i must wear a mask, get vaccinated etc.
Get back in the clown car, you're a tool.
I do not care about protecting anyone else from Covid, protecting hospital from being overwhelmed etc. Ultimately I and my family is what i care about.
And this was already obvious...you just said the (mostly) unspoken part out loud. Modern-day conservative in a nutshell: FYGM.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I don’t get the sense he is afraid of the vaccine. I mean he already got it and was clearly fine from the experience so any rational person knows there’s nothing to be afraid of.

i think it’s more likely that because he’s very right wing, right wing culture tells him getting vaccinated is bad because it betrays the team. Tribal identity is more important to him than health and safety and while that may seem insane to us, lots of people are just like him.

Yea that's possible too. Conservatives are all about projection though, and his first thought is that those of us that got vaccinated as soon as possible did it entirely out of fear.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yea that's possible too. Conservatives are all about projection though, and his first thought is that those of us that got vaccinated as soon as possible did it entirely out of fear.

He isn't entirely wrong. I don't look forward to getting potentially fatal illnesses and will take precautions against getting one. Vaccination is something that everyone should be able to agree on. If your motivation is for selfish reasons, there is a positive benefit. Less likely to get sick and if you do more likely to avoid serious illness. If your motivation is to help society you're doing your part by making it hard for the illness to move through the population.

The above also applies to mask wearing.

That people are fighting for the right to get fucking sick is the dumbest fucking thing I've witnessed in my time on this planet.

Reactions: Zorba and Pohemi

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011

I guess you did your own research?

Half joking aside, AT is a smaller community and we are mostly .... more mature. Just take the booster if available, at worst you under weather for a couple days and it is free. There is no microchip in it I promise.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That people are fighting for the right to get fucking sick is the dumbest fucking thing I've witnessed in my time on this planet.

When I and someone close got vaccinated a few months back, a local anti vaxer had two responses.

1: We had infected ourselves with COVID and were going to harm them with COVID.
2: We had committed suicide because, at some unknown date in the future, everyone who was vaccinated would die.

I think you GREATLY misunderstand "why" they are fighting it, if you think you can describe it as you did. While accurate from our perspective, it wouldn't be from theirs. You're simply dealing with crazy. But to describe it in detail, the human mind DOES NOT operate on logic or fact. But on belief. Religion is a core feature of how we function. It just so happened that our society HAD placed our faith in science and made good strides towards opposing madness. Recent events have shown that we got complacent and the internet helped spread a potent disease of the mind.

We lost our culture so reason / logic are no longer a goal to strive for, no longer "why" people act. Never actually did, but at least we made an attempt at it in the past. Now it's just unwashed crazy out in the open for all the public to see. Which will eventually lead to violent conflict as there are irreparable differences and their beliefs are going to lead to policy that seems crazy. That cannot be tolerated or lived with. And so our society falls like so many others before it.

Why? Because that's just what humans do. We underestimated just how crazy our species is.

Last edited:

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
He isn't entirely wrong. I don't look forward to getting potentially fatal illnesses and will take precautions against getting one. Vaccination is something that everyone should be able to agree on. If your motivation is for selfish reasons, there is a positive benefit. Less likely to get sick and if you do more likely to avoid serious illness. If your motivation is to help society you're doing your part by making it hard for the illness to move through the population.

The above also applies to mask wearing.

The well has been poisoned beyond repair. Conservative commentators have admitted as such, like with CRT, that they are good at weaponizing certain terms/ideas and using it to advance political goals.

Unfortunately, now every time a new variant pops up, it will be decried as another "assault on our freedoms." Coronavirus is here to stay, like influenza. Best we can do is try to have vaccines readily available and help hospitals improve their surge capabilities. That's it. Get your seasonal flu/coronavirus vaccine. Maybe they'll even combine them next year.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The well has been poisoned beyond repair. Conservative commentators have admitted as such, like with CRT, that they are good at weaponizing certain terms/ideas and using it to advance political goals.

Unfortunately, now every time a new variant pops up, it will be decried as another "assault on our freedoms." Coronavirus is here to stay, like influenza. Best we can do is try to have vaccines readily available and help hospitals improve their surge capabilities. That's it. Get your seasonal flu/coronavirus vaccine. Maybe they'll even combine them next year.
I generally agree. I suspect the vaccines will still prove effective against this new variant and assuming that’s the case we should simply return to life as normal because there’s nothing more to be done. If people won’t get vaccinated then they will suffer the consequences of their decision but the rest of us shouldn’t be burdened by their irresponsibility.