Info First Build in 14+ years, wish me luck...

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The last computer I built was a Core2Quad with 8800GT back in 2008 (and I'm still using it). I had the advantage back then of good local computer shops, so I bought all parts from the same store and I could quickly use them to sort issues.

Now I live in backwoods so I had to mail order parts, final parts to get running came in today, and I am slightly nervous about having no local shops to help sort any issues/parts if it doesn't go smoothly.

Here's what I have. I haven't opened anything yet but PSU, case which I have had for a while:
Parts.jpg

Notably no GPU yet, and gaming was the main impetus for upgrade. This enables a modern GPU which I will be on the lookout for a deal on. Leading contenders are RX 6600 or RX 6650 XT.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Put it together before you can't send stuff back. The biggest issue tends to be people sitting on parts for 30+ days and then finding something that doesn't work out of the box.

The latest DOA for me was the same PSU you have here. I since switched to using EVGA since being burned by Corsair.

If you want a decent GPU without the high price tag look at the Intel A770 16GB for $350. It's getting better as they keep updating the drivers often and moving forward with newer titles shouldn't be as much of an issue. Otherwise then go for the AMD options you mentioned and make use of your investment as they depreciate as quick as a car off the new lot.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
It's like riding a bike! You'll be fine! Build it outside of the case first!

Why 4x8 sticks over 2x16 though? And what cooler do you have planned for the CPU?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The latest DOA for me was the same PSU you have here. I since switched to using EVGA since being burned by Corsair.

Hope not on the PSU. All the semiconductor parts arrived the today, but I've been sitting on the PSU for over a year. I bought it first and then paused build as pricing went nuts.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It's like riding a bike! You'll be fine! Build it outside of the case first!

Why 4x8 sticks over 2x16 though? And what cooler do you have planned for the CPU?

4x8 ensures ensures 4 ranks of ram, and it gives me more room to troubleshoot a bad stick, and keep functioning while returning one set if their are issues with any of them.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Starting with the stock Intel cooler. :(

I also have a new in box Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 that deepcool is supposedly sending me an LGA 1700 kit for... I didn't stack it in pic, because, I won't be using it right away.
2 pipes isn't going to be very effective.

https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-SE-226-XT-LGA1700-Heatpipes-All-Black/dp/B09FDXJV3M -- this is what I'm using on my 12700K and under 100% load @ 125W w/ a graphite pad it hits a max of 65C. It has 6 pipes to help dissipate the heat as it comes. This box also runs 24/7 so, having something reliable and no fuss is of importance.

I also use the graphite pads on my other systems since they held up to the old server build with 8700K for several years. It makes for easy work inside the case not having to mess with pastes nor having to repaste when it dries out.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
2 pipes isn't going to be very effective.

1st picture just lines up to hide the other pipes, check the 2nd pic.

It's a 4 pipe design (basically the same as the venerable and ubiquitous Hyper 212), and it's only a 12400...

02.jpg

Reactions: blckgrffn

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If anything, building has only gotten easier since 2008. I just built a new rig...first new build since 2011. I was kind of surprised how easy things went. Just be sure to download all the updates drivers from MSI...you'll need them.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
If anything, building has only gotten easier since 2008. I just built a new rig...first new build since 2011. I was kind of surprised how easy things went. Just be sure to download all the updates drivers from MSI...you'll need them.
I think this is true too hardware wise. As long as you don't involve RGB and various extra controllers. But in the last few years it's been more important than ever to check BIOS version and enable some things. Before you really only had to worry about boot order.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Some signs of life. First I thought PSU was dead as nothing happened on early test boot, even after jumpering the start switch (still on box outside case). But moving AC plug off my UPS, to a different plug, and had it start up and cycle through its various troubleshooting LEDs, but seems in a loop.

Need to move my monitor/KB and try to catch bios (I only have one KB/screen).

Edit: It looks like all components are recognized. Next is to put it in the case and get some install media ready:
FirstBoot.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Some signs of life. First I thought PSU was dead as nothing happened on early test boot, even after jumpering the start switch (still on box outside case). But moving AC plug off my UPS, to a different plug, and had it start up and cycle through its various troubleshooting LEDs, but seems in a loop.

Need to move my monitor/KB and try to catch bios (I only have one KB/screen).

Edit: It looks like all components are recognized. Next is to put it in the case and get some install media ready:
View attachment 77819
I'm not familiar with MSI BIOS, but it looks like your RAM is only running at 2133.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Reactions: Pohemi and bigboxes

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It's booting on default if you didn't enable xmp on the UEFI. It's kind of like windows being in safe mode the bare minimum. If it's a compatibility issue then it's time to send it back and try something else.

I haven't changed anything. It's slow going. That was the MB sitting on a box. I wasn't going to spend time to learn the bios in that situation.

It's in the case now, but I haven't booted up because unfortunately, I only have one screen, one video cable, and one keyboard. So it means shutting down more working computer to to work on the new one...

Reactions: Pohemi