First Build, Asus p8z77-v lx not porting and DRAM LED light flashes red once on power

taylorlevi

Mar 2, 2013
I have just built my first ever computer.
Components:
Asus p8z77-v lx motherboard
8gb Corsair vengeance RAM 2x4gb sticks
Sapphire Radeon Hd 7850 2gb OC edition
Intel core i5 3350p cpu
Corsair CX500 500w psu
500gb Western digital caviar blue hdd

When I turn the computer on when having a screen attached via hdmi cable, the computer does not port across and on power up the DRAM LED light flashes red only once and not again.
I am stuck for ideas as im new to this and have limited knowledge.
I really need help and any advice would be helpful
Thanks

taylorlevi

Mar 2, 2013
I have also just tested out side of the case on the box with one ram in the slot closest to the cpu and the same thiing is happening, the DRAM LED light flashes red once and wont port?
I called asus helpline and they blamed the monitor and were very unhelpful

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
The DRAM light is supposed to come on once during POST (is that what you mean by "port"?), then turn off. After a successful POST, there should be one green light on somewhere on the board, and no red LEDs on. Are any other RED lights on? If I remember correctly, there are the DRAM, CPU, and BOOT (video card and bootable drive) LEDs. Each goes on for a second then turns off after successfully powering up and running self check. It could indeed be a video issue if your card is not fully seated in the PCI-E slot or it's faulty, or if your BIOS is set to iGPU instead of Auto or PCI-E.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
To clarify, a red LED that is off indicates proper function. If a red light is staying on, that indicates a fault on that particular part of the POST (Power On Self Test).

taylorlevi

Mar 2, 2013
When i power the cpu up the DRAM light flashes red once, also there is a green light which stays on called down nearer the bottom of the motherboard thats stays green, these are the only lights on?

I have both ram connected and the graphics card, also the cpu. The DRAM light flashes red once on power up, and then a green light stays on, the green light that is on is above the Power SW Reset SW HDD LED and the + and - cables from the case power button. There are no other lights on? the computer still is not posting to the monitor.

~Thanks for your reply and help

taylorlevi

Mar 2, 2013
by port i mean going onto my monitor. It does not go onto the screen at all
All fans are running and all cpus look asif theyre running?
Im not sure what is wrong

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
When i power the cpu up the DRAM light flashes red once, also there is a green light which stays on called down nearer the bottom of the motherboard thats stays green, these are the only lights on?

I have both ram connected and the graphics card, also the cpu. The DRAM light flashes red once on power up, and then a green light stays on, the green light that is on is above the Power SW Reset SW HDD LED and the + and - cables from the case power button. There are no other lights on? the computer still is not posting to the monitor.

For Asus motherboards, this indicates that everything is running according to plan. Have you tried a different monitor cable (HDMI vs. DVI)? Is there an input selector button on the monitor? Do you get the POST beep (single short chirp)? If so, tap DEL every couple of seconds after the beep to get to the BIOS. It should let you get that screen at least if all the hardware is working.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012

For Asus motherboards, this indicates that everything is running according to plan. Have you tried a different monitor cable (HDMI vs. DVI)? Is there an input selector button on the monitor? Do you get the POST beep? If so, tap DEL every couple of seconds after the beep to get to the BIOS. It should let you get that screen at least if all the hardware is working.

Also, this might sound silly, but the monitor is plugged into the video card, not the motherboard, yes?

taylorlevi

Mar 2, 2013
hahaha oh god, wasnt such a silly question after all. I had the hdmi plugged into the motherboard not the graphics card. Thank you alot for the help