First attempt at a "photo shoot"

EOM

Mar 20, 2015
Got my 70-200mm a few weeks back and this is the first time I'm running it. This was also the first time really trying to use my reflector, since it was 1pm. It's a 4ft reflector; it seemed that even standing 30 ft away the reflector was very bright and not subtle like I'd have imagined. I mostly used the gold side. This is also my first time trying to direct someone posing.

Anyway, i'm hoping for some constructive criticism. More photos here: http://www.exitonly.net/2015/Anandtech/shoot1.html Tips on reflector use, composition, and posing?

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

I haven't even brought these into Lightroom yet, these are SOOC jpgs. No cropping, no color adjustments.... nothing. I shot Raw+jpg.

Last edited:

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I like 1, really like 2, and the idea behind 3 was ok but ... eh.

Dude, you have to resize these. I know I'm not known for posting small photos, but posting full res
a) takes time to load
b) gives me the option of small or EXTREMELY LARGE AND CAN'T SEE EVERTHING AT ONCE. Spend the 5 minutes and run them thru LR.

EOM

Mar 20, 2015
I like 1, really like 2, and the idea behind 3 was ok but ... eh.

Dude, you have to resize these. I know I'm not known for posting small photos, but posting full res
a) takes time to load
b) gives me the option of small or EXTREMELY LARGE AND CAN'T SEE EVERTHING AT ONCE. Spend the 5 minutes and run them thru LR.

Resized to about 25% of original.

Based on your recent photo shoots... any advice you can offer? Your stuff always comes out really clean.
I stuck to the 70-200 the whole time, but had brought the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8 just in case.

Last edited:

estarkey7

Nov 29, 2006
What lens and camera specifically did you use and what aperture were these shots taken at?

The reason I ask is they all seem blurry to me, and this can come from many different sources. If the lens doesn't have image stabilization, you can get motion blur when shooting at the long end if you don't have at least 2x the shutter speed for effective 35mm focal length. That means at 200mm with an APS-C sensor having a 1.6x crop factor, your shutter speed needs to be around 1/640 (200x1.6 = 320x2=640). This is only a rule of thumb and good technique can reduce the shutter speed necessary.

All too often we think a nice sunny day is great for photos, and it is of those photos are landscapes! Portraits prefer different lighting to be sure . I don't know if you have a reflector stand/holder, but if you do, remove the reflective fabric altogether and just use the translucent disc in between your subject and the sun. This will diffuse the harsh shadows and prevent your subject from squinting so much.

Another use of the reflector is to just sit it in your subjects lap. That way, it reflects light upwards and helps reduce bags underneath the eyes and chin. But work quickly, as the amount of light bouncing towards the subject can be uncomfortable.

I don't like the over the shoulder headshot on her. With her build, the amount she is turning her head makes unflattering lines in her neck. For heavier set clients, you will be amazed how great the shots come out if you have them raise their chin up and shoot down on them at around 30 degrees or so. Posing is really tough! I suggest buying a book like this one to start. It's not the greatest, but it's fairly cheap and it does have some good tips for those starting out.

I think you might like this book – "Mastering the Art of Photography Composition: Learn Tips and Tricks for Better Creative Photos for Beginners and Intermediate Photographers" by Stephen Hockman.

Start reading it for free: http://********/1IToDBD

Last edited:

estarkey7

Nov 29, 2006
Three words: Rule of thirds
I edited a previous post so please refer to that for some good pointers.

estarkey7

Nov 29, 2006
This was with the D3200; lens was a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC. I probably left it on f/2.8 the whole time.
:

That explains it. At that aperture at 200mm your focal depth is around a half inch! If you have any back focus issues, it just makes it worse. That coupled with most lens sharpen up as you stop down is why I think the shots look soft now, as the Tamron vibration compensation would take care of most camera movement. These shots at f/4 may be night and day in the sharpness department.

estarkey7

Nov 29, 2006
A few more tips. Use the sun as a hair light instead of a key or fill. This often means putting the sun to her back and over exposing the background. This can be addressed by using a graduated ND filter to lower background exposure.

EOM

Mar 20, 2015
What lens and camera specifically did you use and what aperture were these shots taken at?

The reason I ask is they all seem blurry to me, and this can come from many different sources. If the lens doesn't have image stabilization, you can get motion blur when shooting at the long end if you don't have at least 2x the shutter speed for effective 35mm focal length. That means at 200mm with an APS-C sensor having a 1.6x crop factor, your shutter speed needs to be around 1/640 (200x1.6 = 320x2=640). This is only a rule of thumb and good technique can reduce the shutter speed necessary.
I think i actually was at 1/640 for most of the shoot, plus I did have image stabilization turned on.
All too often we think a nice sunny day is great for photos, and it is of those photos are landscapes! Portraits prefer different lighting to be sure . I don't know if you have a reflector stand/holder, but if you do, remove the reflective fabric altogether and just use the translucent disc in between your subject and the sun. This will diffuse the harsh shadows and prevent your subject from squinting so much.

Another use of the reflector is to just sit it in your subjects lap. That way, it reflects light upwards and helps reduce bags underneath the eyes and chin. But work quickly, as the amount of light bouncing towards the subject can be uncomfortable.
I was using a reflector and was using the gold side to pick up some of the shadows on her face. Some of the pictures in the link it's pretty obvious I was using it. I think on some of them it was overbearing...
I don't like the over the shoulder headshot on her. With her build, the amount she is turning her head makes unflattering lines in her neck. For heavier set clients, you will be amazed how great the shots come out if you have them raise their chin up and shoot down on them at around 30 degrees or so. Posing is really tough! I suggest buying a book like this one to start. It's not the greatest, but it's fairly cheap and it does have some good tips for those starting out.

I think you might like this book – "Mastering the Art of Photography Composition: Learn Tips and Tricks for Better Creative Photos for Beginners and Intermediate Photographers" by Stephen Hockman.

Start reading it for free: http://********/1IToDBD
Can you PM me the link, it got edited in the post. Do you have an example of the raised chin headshot you were talking about?
I appreciate the post and the suggestions in this one and your other posts. I suppose once i do a few it'll become more automatic instead of a checklist type of thing to think about during the shoot.

As for using the sun as a hairlight, how might I accomplish that if it's overhead at the time? I know the best times to shoot are sunrise and sunset, but given that it was just after noon, what are my best bets? I have three off-camera flashes and the reflector at my disposal...

EOM

Mar 20, 2015
That explains it. At that aperture at 200mm your focal depth is around a half inch! If you have any back focus issues, it just makes it worse. That coupled with most lens sharpen up as you stop down is why I think the shots look soft now, as the Tamron vibration compensation would take care of most camera movement. These shots at f/4 may be night and day in the sharpness department.

I'll give it a shot and report back ASAP!

estarkey7

Nov 29, 2006
I think i actually was at 1/640 for most of the shoot, plus I did have image stabilization turned on.

I was using a reflector and was using the gold side to pick up some of the shadows on her face. Some of the pictures in the link it's pretty obvious I was using it. I think on some of them it was overbearing...

Can you PM me the link, it got edited in the post. Do you have an example of the raised chin headshot you were talking about?
I appreciate the post and the suggestions in this one and your other posts. I suppose once i do a few it'll become more automatic instead of a checklist type of thing to think about during the shoot.

As for using the sun as a hairlight, how might I accomplish that if it's overhead at the time? I know the best times to shoot are sunrise and sunset, but given that it was just after noon, what are my best bets? I have three off-camera flashes and the reflector at my disposal...

It can be a pain to control light outside with reflectors at times, as your main light into the reflector is slowly moving while you stay still. Now, I more favor the white side of a reflector over the shiny silver and gold ones.

I sent you a few links to some headshot before and after. It is not exactly what I was talking about, but it is effectively. When you view them you will see how stretching out the neck in the pose really makes a difference.

For sun as a hairlight, if the sun is at 12 noon - 2, you can't do it! But you said you had 3 off camera flashes right? Then it's a cakewalk... if they support high speed sync. You can't overpower the sun without HS sync. I'll have to send you the Kindle links when I get back to my phone.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Resized to about 25% of original.

Based on your recent photo shoots... any advice you can offer? Your stuff always comes out really clean.
I stuck to the 70-200 the whole time, but had brought the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8 just in case.

Thanks for re-sizing them.
At their new, web-based size, they don't seem terribly out-of-focus to me.

I really have no advice - I'm just as much a beginner at a lot of this as anyone else.
Getting ideas on how to pose your subject, and being able to direct them, is just damned tough for me.

"If it bends, bend it" is about the only thing that's stuck with me so far ( ie., don't have arms sitting straight at side, or legs straight. ) Your model seemed like a willing participant, that helps.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Good job, though the light sucks. :)

Posing is very tough, only way to learn is to read and do.

estarkey7

Nov 29, 2006
Here are some books that I recommend on posing and flash lighting.

Start reading it for free: http://********/1H4sayX

This book from Syl Arena is a must have if you have multiple speedlights available to you, it really is a game changer, so buy this kindle TODAY!!!

I think you might like this book – "Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Using Flash and Natural Light for Portrait, Still Life, Action, and Product Photography)" by Syl Arena.

Start reading it for free: http://********/1NCHvJA

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
The pictures (from JPEG) must've used some kind of color mode, as it seems like you do not need to do a lot of color correction. the First and the Last seemed under exposed to me, and the 2nd over the shoulder happy shot the highlights on her face somewhat is a distraction. Fill in with fill light or your reflector to bring the contrast down!