First attack in Pakistan under Obama adminstration

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Missiles kill 7 in NW Pakistan

While I completely support this, there's been rampant posting over the last 8 years about Bush violating the sovereignty of Pakistan and "murdering innocents". Knowing our enemy likes to hide behind the skirts of his wives and toys of his children, there are probably innocents killed in this strike.

So here we are, no change on this policy it appears. What say ye?

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Did Obama hire the strike? Or did the Military make the strike? It is a work in progress man. You can't purge everything that is wrong with the country in 3 days.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Did you honestly think these attacks would stop right after Obama's inauguration?
He's been in office what .... 3 days? Give him some time.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I've always been for going after the actual people that caused 9/11. The Afghan-Pakistani border is a lawless region that only has Pakistani sovereignty in name only, and according to the article, there's speculation of an unwritten agreement permitting the US to bomb there.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
NW Pakistan eh. Is there supposed to be a problem with striking valid targets? Everyone knows that's where many AQ and Taliban took off to after 9/11 and the Afghan invasion.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Sedition
Did Obama hire the strike? Or did the Military make the strike? It is a work in progress man. You can't purge everything that is wrong with the country in 3 days.

Originally posted by: Skitzer
Did you honestly think these attacks would stop right after Obama's inauguration?
I disagree. This is a simple command he could (or could not issue). He may change his mind later on, but for now he is allowing them to continue, he's commander in chief. Just as he stopped all the "midnight exec orders" and ceased all gitmo trials.

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
I will admit that I didn't read the article completely before commenting (because I actually agree with crossing the beloved patriot border to hunt down the enemy, if beloved patriot is unwilling to do it themselves. They should not be allowed to be safe harbor because they claim to support us). I was mostly just commenting on the lack of patience for the administration.

With that being said... I am pretty sure Obama had the same stance on Pakistan. I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Originally posted by: alchemize

I disagree. This is a simple command he could (or could not issue). He may change his mind later on, but for now he is allowing them to continue, he's commander in chief. Just as he stopped all the "midnight exec orders" and ceased all gitmo trials.

Text

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama said on Wednesday the United States must be willing to strike al Qaeda targets inside Pakistan, adopting a tough tone after a chief rival accused him of naivete in foreign policy.

He already said he was for persuing targets in Pakistan (something I agree with as I said in my second post).

My first comment was directed towards your lack of patiences on what you perceive as his policies.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

While I completely support this, there's been rampant posting over the last 8 years about Bush violating the sovereignty of Pakistan and "murdering innocents". Knowing our enemy likes to hide behind the skirts of his wives and toys of his children, there are probably innocents killed in this strike.

Obama stated before getting elected he would go after terrorist in Pakistan. He is keeping his election promise.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Thanks for all the "duh" replies :) Who I really want to hear from are the rabid obama supporters who are also berating the millitary and Bush every time it happened. I won't name names just yet :)

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004

So it appears, good. 7 is not enough. Obama needs to kill a lot more than that.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

Are you f'ing serious? He's been in office 2 days, and you contribute this attack to him?

Please step away from the Internet.

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Thanks for all the "duh" replies :) Who I really want to hear from are the rabid obama supporters who are also berating the millitary and Bush every time it happened. I won't name names just yet :)

I wouldn't say I was a rabid supporter (though I do think of all he was the best option we had, well except for RP;)), but I am very critical of Bush and his military policy. This issue however was not one of those.

It is an exception. He (Bush) did it very openly and warned the beloved patriot Gov that we will pursue them into Pakistan if Pakistan is unwilling to take care of their border.

This isn't secret opperations in Loas and Cambodia like in Vietnam. This is very different. I don't have a problem with it and support the current administration in continuing this policy.

Pakistan is our "Ally" (I use the term loosely). As such they shouldn't have too much of a problem with our troops "helping" their troops get the job done.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

I see; you just came in to troll for a fight?

C'mon, name names. Call them out, I dare you.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Are you f'ing serious? He's been in office 2 days, and you contribute this attack to him?

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Yes.. I Stop all would really show the American people and the military officers themselves that he has faith in the ability of the military to do their job. Military Policy change needs time to develop and execute.

Also as I clearly said and back-uped with proof, Obama's Policy is to continue to enter Pakistan to help our "allies" clear out terrorist camps in their border.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The other weasel words regard very close to the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, a somewhat disputed border than therefore might be claimed to lie within Afghanistan. And as I recall Obama, on day two met with the various various leader in the region. So its possible that he had Pakistani governmental permission to make this particular strike.

But those are all speculations on my part, we may know more if that other shoe drops, and the Pakistani government registers a protest. And IMHO, such preditor drone strikes are extremely counter productive because it has most of the people in the tribal regions hopping mad at the US and Nato as it is.

So might as well express my opinion, if Obama continues the same failed policies of GWB&co in Afghanistan, he will get the same failed results of seven years of doing worse year after year. And even if Obama augments US and Nato troop strength in Afghanistan from woefully way too few to still woefully too few, it will not help much.

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The other weasel words regard very close to the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, a somewhat disputed border than therefore might be claimed to lie within Afghanistan. And as I recall Obama, on day two met with the various various leader in the region. So its possible that he had Pakistani governmental permission to make this particular strike.

But those are all speculations on my part, we may know more if that other shoe drops, and the Pakistani government registers a protest. And IMHO, such preditor drone strikes are extremely counter productive because it has most of the people in the tribal regions hopping mad at the US and Nato as it is.

So might as well express my opinion, if Obama continues the same failed policies of GWB&co in Afghanistan, he will get the same failed results of seven years of doing worse year after year. And even if Obama augments US and Nato troop strength in Afghanistan from woefully way too few to still woefully too few, it will not help much.

I agree with you in almost every way. This is a Nato - US joint project with the assistance of Pakistan (one of our "allies"). There are many flubbed policies that will be addressed and discussed by all the nations involved in the joint strikes. As such you can not expect in less than a week for the entire system to be completely changed.

However, Pakistan is being invaded by foreign terrorists and areas inside their border being over taken by such camps and training centers. If they can't take care of it, as "allies" we are willing to do it for them.

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Originally posted by: dartworth
I just knew deep down inside my little heart that this obama guy was bad news...

sigh.

The saddest part is the inept attempt to troll ignoring the fact that Obama clearly stated it will be part of his policy to attack Enemy training camps inside our allies borders if there is clear intelligence on it and said nation is unable or unwilling.

At face value, he is delivering on a campaign promise... OMG WTF a politician keeping his word!!!1!

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Originally posted by: K3N
The prophecies of Webster Griffin Tarpley comes true, watch the 2nd video in my signature!

Hey... I only watched the first 3 seconds but I swear I can see his tinfoil hat. Cleaver camera work makes that pretty tricky though.