First Active NFL player in history comes out as gay

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Everything needs a pioneer. The Evangelical and redneck dumbfuck base of the GQP will view this as a sign that Biden is destroying America, even the NFL players are coming out gay now.

HENDERSON, Nev. -- Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib on Monday became the first active NFL player to come out as gay.

Nassib, 28, made the announcement in an Instagram post.

"What's up people?" Nassib posted. "I'm at my house here in West Chester, Pennsylvania. I just want to take a quick moment to say that I'm gay. I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but I finally feel comfortable enough to get it off my chest. I really have the best life, I've got the best family, friends and job a guy could ask for.

"I'm a pretty private person so I hope you guys know that I'm really not doing this for attention. I just think that representation and visibility are so important. I actually hope that like one day, videos like this and the whole coming-out process are just not necessary. But until then, I'm going to do my best and do my part to cultivate a culture that's accepting, that's compassionate and I'm going to start by donating $100,000 to the Trevor Project."

r870646_600x400_3-2.jpg

• 3rd-round pick of Browns in 2016 NFL draft
• 20.5 career sacks in 73 games (37 starts) for the Browns, Buccaneers and Raiders
• Signed 3-year contract with Raiders in March 2020
• Recorded 1st career interception in Week 10 of 2020 vs. Broncos
• Won the Lombardi Award as the best college football linemen/linebacker in 2015 while at Penn State
• Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year in 2015

The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to the LGBTQ+ community.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I heard this so called news on the NBC nightly news and my gut reaction was.... HAVEN'T WE COME WAY PAST THIS NOW?
Seriously, SS couples can now legally marry, live where they want, and work in any profession they desire, and so.... what's this nonsense with HE'S GAY or SHE'S GAY or MY DOG IS GAY, I mean WHO EVEN CARES?

When we learned that Rock Hudson was gay or that Liberace was gay or that Anita Bryant was gay, sure maybe that was news but that was then and now is now. And what.... some kid in high school football can be gay but dare a professional NFL football player be gay and that is the end of football? Is Nassib being gay any different from that kid in high school being gay?

Well kiddies, you better sit down...
Everyone is gay. Every TV evangelist is gay, definitely every Hollywood movie star is gay, most politicians both male and female are gay, the cop on the beat, the postman, the UPS guy, your dog groomer, your neighbor (on both sides of you), and.... your mom and dad. Yes, if not for the times they grew up in, old dad would have never married but instead been living it up in Key West Florida with some guy named Steve. So really, does this even matter or worthy of attention, especially on national TV?

Now folks, go give your parents a big hug and tell them thanks for resisting the gay and bringing you into the world. ;)

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
As long as there still have to be firsts, people will care.
Technically, maybe he was the first; however, does anyone remember Michael Sam? He was openly gay, drafted into the NFL. He was on the Rams roster but was cut before playing in any regular season games. He did in fact play in 3 preseason games. He was also on the Cowboy's practice squad. So he "sort of" played in the NFL, just not in the regular season.

Anyway, I was surprised to see this as "news". I figured it was pretty much assumed that a number of pro football players were gay and that nobody really cared one way or the other.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Agreed..Michael Sam already came out and he had more to lose than this guy.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I figured it was pretty much assumed that a number of pro football players were gay and that nobody really cared one way or the other.

I don't think the other players care. Coaching staffs and owners OTOH are supremely unable to deal with anything outside their narrow world views from what I've read.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Technically, maybe he was the first; however, does anyone remember Michael Sam? He was openly gay, drafted into the NFL. He was on the Rams roster but was cut before playing in any regular season games. He did in fact play in 3 preseason games. He was also on the Cowboy's practice squad. So he "sort of" played in the NFL, just not in the regular season.

Anyway, I was surprised to see this as "news". I figured it was pretty much assumed that a number of pro football players were gay and that nobody really cared one way or the other.

Yep I'm sure this won't matter at all to a kid playing football who is gay.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Best comment I saw on Twitter was "dude chasing sacks on and off the field, can't teach that kind of work ethic" or something along those lines lol.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't think the other players care. Coaching staffs and owners OTOH are supremely unable to deal with anything outside their narrow world views from what I've read.
Other gay players probably care.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Other gay players probably care.

I probably should have been more clear that I was referring only to negative reactions from within the league itself. Not the broader positive example to others in the same situation.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Most of us in our lifetimes never have to make such a courageous decision. I call it courageous because he's doing something that will almost certainly cause him personal grief down the road, to put it mildly.

Can't say I give a shit about his team though, but what do I know, I'm a Vikings fan, ugh.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Most of us in our lifetimes never have to make such a courageous decision. I call it courageous because he's doing something that will almost certainly cause him personal grief down the road, to put it mildly.

Can't say I give a shit about his team though, but what do I know, I'm a Vikings fan, ugh.
I moved to Michigan, thank goodness I'm a Chiefs fan because I really wouldn't want to have to deal with the special hell that is being a Lions fan.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
When Michael Sam came out he was not yet drafted. IIRC he was an All-American and Defensive POY from the SEC (the "best" conference in college football). Based on his credentials he should have been a very high pick, yet after he came out he dropped to the seventh round. Afterward he had a tough time even making a roster. There were rumblings that many players were uncomfortable with him in the locker room. Eventually he gave up after a lot of circumstantial evidence pointed to him being treated differently because he is gay.

The difference here is that Carl Nassib is an established, productive veteran. It will be more difficult to treat him the way Michael Sam was allegedly treated, though as we've seen with Colin Kaepernick blatant blackballing can still occur.