First 2 Laptops With Dedicated GPU

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
The Toshiba Satellite 2805 and Dell Inspiron 8000 both equipped with the Geforce2Go was the start of modern Laptops.

tosh_best_800.jpg

inspiron.gif

The video below at 23 minutes in talks about the Dell 8000.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'd like to think the modern laptop era really began with the PowerBook G4. It was the first "thin" performance laptop (1 inch thick was slim at the time!), the first widescreen regular laptop (Sony's C1 was a subnotebook), you get the idea. Dedicated graphics don't really strike me as a watershed moment; important, but not a revolution.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'd like to think the modern laptop era really began with the PowerBook G4. It was the first "thin" performance laptop (1 inch thick was slim at the time!), the first widescreen regular laptop (Sony's C1 was a subnotebook), you get the idea. Dedicated graphics don't really strike me as a watershed moment; important, but not a revolution.
OMG that was the WORST laptop I ever had the displeasure of working on. When I worked at Arista records, Pharrell (yes, THAT Pharrell) desperately wanted one so I got him one and I was working on that POS every other day. SO many issues from the hinges to freezing to just not working. UG.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
OMG that was the WORST laptop I ever had the displeasure of working on. When I worked at Arista records, Pharrell (yes, THAT Pharrell) desperately wanted one so I got him one and I was working on that POS every other day. SO many issues from the hinges to freezing to just not working. UG.

Mine was definitely more reliable, but I also got the late 2002 refresh. It was amazing while I used it — I was getting four hours of use (hey, that was a lot for a 15-inch laptop back then) without having to babysit it nearly as much as the Toshiba it replaced with a three-hour-at-best lifespan. With that said, the hinge broke a few years after I stopped using it.

On a side note: something tells me you have some pretty good stories from Arista!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That Pharrell doesn't age.

You sure weren't "Happy" with that work though. lol.