Firewall Question - Whats the easiest software to use?

wnangle

Mar 14, 2007
I have 5 computers in my home. I'm using one of those wired/wireless routers so that my laptop can also work. My question is: Whenever someone comes over with their laptop, they are able to hook right into my network. Obviously, this means that anyone outside my house can do this also. What easy software can I get that will allow me to shut down any computer and especially any wireless computer. Does this mean I don't have a firewall?

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
You need to get into your router and configure the security. Depending on how much protection you want is how you want to configure it.

There is always the old security through obscurity model where you turn off the broadcasting of your SSID so wireless clients dont see your access point, but there are always other ways to get the SSID and once they have it the "security" is out the window"

You could also try WEP which is slightly more secure in that you need a password but it is very easy to crack

WPA does a decent job of security but not all devices support it.

So, really it just depends on what level of protection you want

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
This thread fits much better in Security, so it is being moved from Computer Help to Security.

AnandTech Moderator
mechBgon