Firewall not needed?

andrewboon

Nov 14, 2011
Do I not need a virus software if I am not going to be downloading anything? I am getting a brand new computer soon and the only thing I'll be downloading is SWTOR and occasionally going on YouTube and web surfing. I will only be downloading programs like Ventrilo, Microsoft Word, just programs from trusted people. I am also using a wireless network with a password on it. So will I need anti virus software? Also will I need a fire? Or are those the same thing?

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Always use a firewall...

As far as AV goes, I've been very happy with using Microsoft Security Essentials to keep my Win7 machines clean.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Do I not need a virus software if I am not going to be downloading anything? I am getting a brand new computer soon and the only thing I'll be downloading is SWTOR and occasionally going on YouTube and web surfing. I will only be downloading programs like Ventrilo, Microsoft Word, just programs from trusted people. I am also using a wireless network with a password on it. So will I need anti virus software? Also will I need a fire? Or are those the same thing?

You should use a firewall, which prevents other computers from attacking yours over the Internet (and over your wireless connection). Windows has a built-in firewall that'll suffice for this. When it shows you the screen below, pick Public.

FirewallOn.gif

You should also use antivirus software. The free Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus is OK. But you should realize that antivirus software will not protect you from everything. Not even half, in fact. So don't get cocky :)

Also realize that at any given time, more than half of the dangerous websites in the world are normally safe. They've been hacked or compromised. So you can't avoid danger just by staying away from websites you think would be inherently dangerous. Assume that any website can turn dangerous at any time.

So beyond the basic steps of antivirus and firewall protection, I suggest following the other steps I've listed here: http://www.mechbgon.com/security This is a proven strategy that will make your system far safer than just antivirus and firewall protection alone.

Last edited:

Dravic

May 18, 2000
Always use a Firewall. Within 4 mins of placing my new static IP's on the internet (ARP request through Comcast business) my IPs were scanned from non ARIN allocated IP's for various vulnerabilities. They don't even have DNS names associated with them yet.

Antivirus alone is down to about 12&#37; effectiveness against malware and infection. It's still a must, but your surfing habits and not running Javascript by default (noscript on FireFox) will go a lot further.