firefox, you know me too well

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i think firefox is watching me like a hawk. they're even showing a picture of me in article ads.

Bvzoscy.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As funny as that is... I'm more concerned about the fact that FF is doing spying too now? I had no idea they were also into that crap.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
As funny as that is... I'm more concerned about the fact that FF is doing spying too now? I had no idea they were also into that crap.

If people want to enjoy all the free shit on the internet, sometimes they have to pay with targeted advertising. It's the cost of doing business. Now of course there have to be restrictions and guidelines on what data, how much data and what can be shared - but to expect to hand over nothing for content is also not reasonable.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If people want to enjoy all the free shit on the internet, sometimes they have to pay with targeted advertising. It's the cost of doing business. Now of course there have to be restrictions and guidelines on what data, how much data and what can be shared - but to expect to hand over nothing for content is also not reasonable.

I don't think having our privacy breached is fair at all for any circumstance. I would rather they just charge for it. Problem is even the stuff that costs money STILL spies on us. Ex: phones.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No, they don't. They could do crypto-mining in the background on their PC, while they're on that site with focus.

No more need for any intrusive spying, just donate a little CPU (and maybe GPU) time, to the site, to pay for your usage of it.

But so many people are "up in arms" against crypto, they don't see it as an easy way out of the massive, horrible, intrusive, "big data" gathering of their lives. All they hear about is the ignorant mass media "it uses energy" - well, plenty of other aspects of our lives do too. And incentivize solar, and your power costs, both monetary and environmental, will be virtually non-existent.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
No, they don't. They could do crypto-mining in the background on their PC, while they're on that site with focus.

No more need for any intrusive spying, just donate a little CPU (and maybe GPU) time, to the site, to pay for your usage of it.

But so many people are "up in arms" against crypto, they don't see it as an easy way out of the massive, horrible, intrusive, "big data" gathering of their lives. All they hear about is the ignorant mass media "it uses energy" - well, plenty of other aspects of our lives do too. And incentivize solar, and your power costs, both monetary and environmental, will be virtually non-existent.
I am not talking about crypto in any way shape or form

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I am not talking about crypto in any way shape or form
I know that you weren't. You claimed that to (have a sustainable business model), to (consume content) on the internet, that one has to "pay" (with targeted advertising).

But, as well all know, privacy is a good thing to have. An "internet panopticon" is basically the most (?) dystopian version of the internet that one could imagine (and throw in mind-control, ala. Facebook).

I'm suggesting, that it doesn't have to be that way.

Crypto is a way out. Why not embrace it? Content producers would get paid, for as long as viewers were engaged with that content. Cut out the middle-man advertiser networks, just have sites have code to mine straight to the site (maybe still involving a "pool"). It's so much simpler, no privacy-invasion needed, and people get paid. It would simply require the consumer / end-user to maintain a fairly up-to-date PC.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Who's to say the sneaky bastards aren't already doing something like that without your knowledge or permission?
Some of the shadier corners of the internet already were. I'm suggesting, that like those "cookie notices", one could have "mining noticies", where it is opt-in.

Instead of "You've read your (1) free article THIS MONTH, please subscribe @ $3.99 /mo" or whatever, you would see that, as well as a "or CONSENT TO MINING ON THIS SITE". Click that, assuming that you have an up-to-date PC, and you could view as much content as you wanted, for as long as you wanted, on that particular domain. At least, that's how I envision it, for most news / information sites.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
No, that is spyware he has added to FF. Don't leave your front door open that bitch when someone comes in.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Don't use Pocket or create a Firefox/Pocket account. Also go into firefox options - home and customize "firefox home content". Of course you could take this even further if you wanted to like new tabs opening a blank page instead. Clearing all your browser data, use private windows, multi-account containers, etc. etc.

firefoxoptions.jpg

Reactions: nakedfrog

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like the pocket articles. It's something light to read that usually isn't stupid. I don't subscribe. I'm still not exactly sure what subscribing does that a bookmark doesn't anyway.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Don't use Pocket or create a Firefox/Pocket account. Also go into firefox options - home and customize "firefox home content". Of course you could take this even further if you wanted to like new tabs opening a blank page instead. Clearing all your browser data, use private windows, multi-account containers, etc. etc.

firefoxoptions.jpg

Oh ok yeah I don't have a FF or pocket account. I just have it set to a blank page myself actually. Looks like I might be in the clear.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
To be clear, I'm pretty sure the articles on the new tab page are random, and will have "sponsored content" if you allow it(I don't). If the articles are targeted to me, they do a terrible job of it. Of the 21 articles offered, if I see 4 I'm interested in, it's a lot.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Firefox does leave a lot of settings on "allow" that shouldn't be by default but at least they give you legit options to go under the hood and shut them off... its still exponentially better then Chrome!

Also a lot of tracking is done outside of the browser now and unless you use a VPN your web-surfing will still be "followed" to some degree.