Firefox Questions: How to stop links from opening in a new window?

BS911

Oct 10, 1999
I've looked around but had no luck in finding the option to prevent links I clicked on from opening in a new window! I want the links to open in a new tab instead! Help! :)

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
You can always click on a link with a click of the scroll wheel and it will open in a new tab.. I'm not sure about regular clicking though.

ComatoseDelirium

Dec 18, 2004
it does it auto for me, no configuration needed, this really sounds like what you need exactly, tell me if it works.

BS911

Oct 10, 1999
And while on this topic...since I'm new to Firefox and other awesome plugins I sholud know about?

ComatoseDelirium

Dec 18, 2004
Ahh.. yes I am your god.. worship me or buy me pudding pops, and for your actual question it depends, on what you are using it for, a few standard ones I get are adblock which.. blocks ads, foxy tunes which lets you play, change, up volume down volume, etc what you are listening to, the web developer tool, neat nifty tools for web developers, image zoom, which.. zooms images and the whitehart theme, which is purely for looking pleasure, if your a blogger, their are blogger tools, a flash user flash tools, etc etc. it depends on what your interested in, and good job on making the switch :) and get rid of the original theme for firefox, its groooss.

BS911

Oct 10, 1999
I downloaded a "Safari" theme that looks pretty cool but cannot figure out how to install it. It has a install.rdf file which I assume I need to load somehow?

BS911

Oct 10, 1999
Another question too! Even though I've made Firefox my default browser external links such as Windows Favorites and E-mail links from Outlook still open in IE by default. Is there anyway to get Firefox to take those over?

ComatoseDelirium

Dec 18, 2004
Its easy and yes, ok, when you click the installer button you ought to get a lil firefox popup saying the 'ok' and install in 2... 1... blah blah and then you click ok, for most of the themes and lil apps, you need to exit all firefox windows, and then reopen it to see the changes, for the IE default, to turn off you need SP 2, if you have SP2 tell me and i'll tell you what to do.

BS911

Oct 10, 1999
I've got SP2.

The install.rdf file isn't clickable. When I try to open it with FF it just brings up a bunch of jibberish.

ComatoseDelirium

Dec 18, 2004
ok to disable Internet Explorer, go to c:/ then add or remove programs, then look on the side bar for SET PROGRAM ACCESS AND DEFAULTS click custom then click Firefox to be your default browser, then turn off enable access for this program on the Internet explorer area, and click ok. no mo' Internet explorer, while you do that, I'll try to explain how to install stuff, its rather easy, since all you do is click on it, and then it asks you to install, no downloading needed, it does it for you, and goes where you want...

BS911

Oct 10, 1999
I downloaded the theme off of DeviantArt...it did not have a clickable installer like the themes off of the firefox site. Thanks for the XP and other tips you have given so far!

ComatoseDelirium

Dec 18, 2004
Ps I'd stick with what they have on mozilla's actual site, I've been looking around the fire fox folder, and I dont see any place.. to stick it... so it would work.

BS911

Oct 10, 1999
Ok, I'll just use one of the themes from the site then!

Thanks for all your help! :):beer:

ComatoseDelirium

Dec 18, 2004
yeah i've used that one its a lil too harsh for me, I always turn off that bookmarks link and only use the navigation one, lol... whats the 'Hard forum ":p'

ComatoseDelirium

Dec 18, 2004
Actually no, never, im 15, and have only really truly been interested in oc'ing/hardware for about a year now, but, just opened it and its book marked. :)